1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implemented Update/reword the rules on the rules page to better reflect their intended function.

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by deepcage, Aug 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deepcage

deepcage Captain Obvious has entered the building!

Local Time:
    4:45 PM
    So this has been a discussion ingame for quite some time, maybe have some opinions on this, preferably by Manager rank staffs who are apparently able to affect change.

This will be a TL;DR post, but if you dont bother to read it, please dont bother to reply either. I will mark my suggestions to these rules below in BLUE so you know what to look for.

Ignorance is no excuse! Change this to: If you do not bother to read the rules, accept to be punished for breaking them. Its much clearer and states a much stronger message. Also kids of 13-15 years usually don't know what the word ignorance is because well, they are ignorant of it.
    The procedure for breaking rules is up to the server crew. Not true, i have recently had a chat with Cilo on TS and the way that you guys are misinterpreting the rules by yourself is apparently not the right way.
    The rules may change without notice and consent at any time. True, but they never seem to do... As stated on discord by CanadaBunny, these rules have not been revised in at least a year.

§ Playing Together
    Do not use hate speech or discriminatory language towards someone's race, religion, gender, or identity.
    Add: Do not bring up political or religious subjects in chat.
    Insults, aggressive behaviour towards others as well as racism will not be tolerated.
    Staff members (and their opinions) are to be respected. (welcome to the Peoples Republic of China). To quote nwilki01: "so if a staff member is a flat-earther, we have to respect their opinion on that?" Yea sorry, i seriously disagree on the opinions part of this rule. Opinions are a personal matter which varies based on religion, age, upbringing, education and other things. That should be kept out of staff matters and staff should be professional and not bring their opinions into a discussion.
    If you are found to have a negative impact on the MyM community, we can remove you at our discretion.
    Scamming and artificial inflation is not tolerated. (please explain artificial inflation?)
    Do not enter other people's property unless you have been given permission to do so by the owner or a member or that property. So apparently this means that you can enter someones base/island, but only if you are asked to LEAVE, then you are breaking the rule... that's not what this says.
    Remain friendly when talking to others.
    Impersonating Staff members or using Staff like tags in game, on TeamSpeak, or any MyM Community area will not be tolerated.
    Do not PvP bypass in any way to kill players on PVE servers. Apparently this is allowed if the player you are killing is your teammate, why is this not mentioned?

§ Chat
    Only speak English in public chats. (Private chat excluded)
    Do not use profanity of any kind. Keep chat PG.
    Advertising, no matter what, is not allowed. (Ask staff if you are not sure)
    Spamming in any way is prohibited.
    Requests towards moderators or admins need to be submitted via /ticket, forum thread or a private/direct message in-game. (Do not message us on the forums)
    Trading over a public channel is to be kept to a minimum. Why does everyone always mention: Public trades are not allowed when it says keep it to a minimum?
    No inappropriate usernames, nicknames, item names or messages on signs.
    Do not use excessive caps. Not like we can with chat filter that blocks anything more than 4 letters in caps.
    Players may not use MineYourMind controlled platforms to exchange real money, services outside of Minecraft, and physical goods.

§ Anti-grief
    We don’t argue with griefers. (grieferists)
    Unintentional griefing is to reported via /ticket immediately.
    Negative behavior such as griefing, stealing or destroying other player's items/blocks will not be tolerated.
    Constructions, chests, animals etc. belonging to other players may not be moved, destroyed, or killed without the owner’s permission.
    Items which obviously belong to another player may not be destroyed or moved without permission.
    Usage of levers, buttons, beds (etc.) you don't own isn't permitted.
    Subterranean claims have to be marked on the surface. (Does this apply to the nether because that doesn't have a surface?)

§ Anti-lag
    Do not pump lava straight from the nether (Exception: Ender-Thermic Pump), use magma crucibles or the SirWilli Endertank instead. Is this still valid? This was a problem in 1.6.4 packs, but now... i dunno.
    Avoid complex redstone systems.
    Avoid Loops in any kind of way (example: electric cable, conduits, pipes...) Hint: You can color the cables to prevent them from connecting.
    Avoid high number of items lying on the ground. (caused by open Pipes etc.)
    Do not overstate, this is a multiplayer environment and not single-player where no one else is affected by your doings. Where is the enforcement on this? This rule gets broken regularly on multiple packs, yet staff seem to not care?
    If you cost the server too many resources (CPU) MyM Staff will not hesitate to undo your work.

§ Environment | World

Trees have to be chopped down entirely and replanted. Really? does anyone -ever- do this?
    If you build a frame (to build something bigger) you have to remove it afterwards.
    1x1 holes, traps and similar ways to kill other players are not allowed in all worlds.
    Resources should be mined in the Farmworld to keep the Overworld from being destroyed. "should" in this context means: "we want you do do it, but we cannot stop you". Maybe rephrase to: Resources are only to be mined in the Farmworld (provided there is a farmworld on the server). Overworld mining is not allowed.

§ Economy
    Refrain from overly high/low prices. (isnt this covered in the scamming and artificial inflation rule?) so technically this one is double.
    Selling and sharing of endgame items is prohibited. See the Endgame Items section on the forums. What if no endgame item lists exist for the modpack?

§ Client-Modification and Cheating
    Mods, Texture Packs or similar that would give you an advantage (like X-Ray and Fly-Mods/Hacks) are strictly forbidden. And how are you enforcing this?
    Bypassing server functions and restrictions, for example avoiding AFK-kick with an anti-AFK machine will not be tolerated.

§ Server

No item refunds! See this article.
    Having multiple accounts as well as transferring money to new players for no real reason is not permitted.
    Abusing bugs or exploits will be prosecuted. If found, report to the private bug report section of the forums.
    No unintended item duplication methods. If found, post to private bug report section of the forums.

§ Inactivity

Claims, Tardis, Islands, Quest books are all subject to inactivity resets/deletions after 2 weeks unless you have a rank that says otherwise.
    We will not refund or restore your base, items, or questing data that has been deleted or reset for being inactive. (maybe you should post this more higher up since people don't generally read all the way down).

Looking forward to the replies. I bet a lot of players don't even know these rules because the only way this is ever mentioned is on the in-game rules (on page 2 for some dumb reason) in a link all the way at the bottom of the 2nd rules page.

And honestly... who here has ever clicked that link the first time they joined the network? i dont think many have. i sure as heck know i didnt untill someone mentioned them to me in my early days.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Kazeodori and IsHayden like this.
  2. TrashGothAoife

TrashGothAoife Consultant

Local Time:
    7:45 AM
    I do agree that some rules should be updated, and I have already proposed some. though there is a bit of confusion, maybe I can help clear some up.

No, this means you are to ask permission before entering someones base/island.

There is a difference between trading items that are allowed to be traded, and trading items that are on the end game lists. The normal trading of items that are fine to be traded can be done over public chat, but kept to a minimum because it can get annoying if people do it too often.

No, however players should be careful due to a few things that we do allow use of in the nether do bypass claims.

I do believe this is still valid. I have proposed a change to the exception part to specifically mention pumps that replace lava sources with stone (or another block) to reduce or remove block updates due to the pumping.

We do enforce this, just try to keep it private. We do not see every instance of it, but when we do come across bases that are overstating, we do take action.

I do.

You can mine resources in/under your base. This rule is one to help keep the overworld intact, just like with trees being replanted not leaving half cut down trees. Also some things force you to do it in the overworld, like the dust of infinity on most packs with it. Mass mining is 100% to be kept in the farmworld, but mining under your base is allowed, as it will get reset when the claim resets.

Not really a wise idea to give out techniques for this, as it gives people who do use it an idea on how to go undetected.

LadyRen13 and sp33draft like this.
  3. deepcage

Local Time:
    CanadaBunny disagrees with you, he stated the requesting to leave thing was what the rule was about, maybe you Sr.Mods should get on the same page before you say things that completely contradict eachother.

4. Shizucc

Shizucc CEO of "Shizo+ Inc." Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    This does present an interesting problem that all organisations have to deal with. People with different backgrounds will interpret rules and/or guidelines differently from how the maker of said rule or guideline interpreted them, given they are not clear enough. If CanadaBunny has indeed interpreted it the way deepcage has mentioned, then that means the rules are still too vague/open for interpretation. Incohesion between staff members does not reflect well on any organization, mym included. This could be a problem, because if our staff team does not enforce rules in the same manner, that could lead to players believing they are treated unfairly. I suggest creating a comprehensive forum post with examples for players, and a "in this scenario, i did this action" list for moderators to reference, so that our staff doesnt need to decide on the spot what action to take which may lead to the scenario deepcage described. This would all be in an effort to take moderating to the next level.

Tldr what deepcage said but more comprehensive and wayyyyy nicer :p

5. CanadaBunny

CanadaBunny Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:45 AM
    For me shizucc i go off my teachings by the higher ups and from my time as a staff. I had even asked cilo last night as a reassurance. The rule is sort of outdated and the one we enforce is if you ask someone to leave. They need to leave. Otherwise people are free to roam

6. HanoverFist69

HanoverFist69 Administrator

Local Time:
    Heya Deep,

Just wanted to let you know we are working on revamping and updating the rules. Our ultimate goal is to refine the language and add the unwritten rules. Be patient on this. Pushing something like this through needs approval and revisions and all that time consuming stuff before it's ready.

HanoverFist69

7. deepcage

Local Time:
    No offense, but u guys have been working on them for years iirc... Nothing ever changes around here except kicking staff members and mass-ban-waves.

Even just the fact that you have 2 sets of rules, 1 in game and 1 on the website is confusing as heck for new players, who obviously never check the website rules and are completely oblivious of them until someone refers them to the website.

8. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    "do not enter... Unless you have permission" sounds like a clear statement to me, there is nothing to misunderstand here. If bunny interprets it differently, then because he got taught something wrong, but just by using and understanding the English language this one is clear to me.

Thanks for this discussion Deepcage. I think some of the points you brought up are indeed worth a revision.

Kazeodori likes this.
  9. Willfon

Willfon Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Because lawyers never argues about how to interpret even the simplest section of the law, do they? ;)

Which is why most servers I have been to only say something like "Wheaton's law" or "Don't be a j dofus k". The same should be obvious in the outside world and for some reason some people keeps acting like dofee despite the obvious common rule. Which is why you in most countries have very explicit laws with rigid interpretations, so that

if you behave like a complete dofus, the police, jury and judges can look to the big book and see if this counts as negative behavior. If you sortof act like a dofus they might say "well he did act like a dofus, but" and look through the fingers and let you off. But sometimes they can say that he did act like a dofus, but not a complete dofus, but the rules say dofus and dofus is enough and knock you harder for for the dofus, because even though they cant prove complete dofus, they dofued enough to convince everyone about the dofus to bring the full and complete dofusness down upon their head.

… they make naughty illegal to make sure noone gets away with evil, but are lenient with the measurement up until you cross the difuse line of mean.

Here, we juniors are told to never use the cane when a feather will do.

There might be one set of rules on the web and a simpler set in the /rules, but no matter how you read them, they read the same:

Don't take it if you didn't make it (and usually it is pretty clear that someone made it)
    Don't go there if you didn't build it (and usually it is pretty clear that someone buildt it. Recurrent complex and Ruins is pretty recognizable)

Don't be a dofus.

10. Aidoneus

Aidoneus Director Booster

Local Time:
    8:45 AM
    deepcage and LadyRen13 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.