1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Possible Dislike function, just like most social media have.

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by deepcage, Sep 3, 2020.

?

Would you like a dislike function as descriped in the topic?

1. Yes, we would like a dislike function

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Nope, we dont need this

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Other, please tell us in your comment.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. deepcage

deepcage Captain Obvious has entered the building!

Local Time:
    9:21 AM
    So just like social media at first only started with LIKE buttons, they added more including emotes like angry, sad, surprised and just regular dislike.

Can we get something like that here on mym? Not just for the sake of disliking, but maybe also to provide some kind of player-based moderation on forum posts.

For example when a post receives a certain number of dislikes, this could serve as a trigger to staff to remove this post or adress the issue with the owner of that post to perhaps rephrase it to better reflect the intended function of that post.

Should also help weed out some of the troll posts some people have made a hobby of.

Looking forward to reactions on this. Like it if you dislike it i guess for now xD

Sandstroem likes this.
  2. LordEreh

LordEreh Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I member those modpack suggestions threads - "Add xyz pack because is fun" and only that inside i were so dissapointed we dont have such buttom...

Also @deepcage why you dont make a poll? I think this is best way to express/get opinion on such matters

deepcage likes this.
  3. deepcage

Local Time:
    Poll added! Good idea :)

LordEreh likes this.
  4. HanoverFist69

HanoverFist69 Administrator

Local Time:
    1:21 AM
    Two problems I see with that...
    • No one should get negativity for suggesting something.
    • Things like this lead to a group oppressing every opinion that isn't theirs.

5. deepcage

Local Time:
    Why not? if its someone who was clearly trolling, flaming or just spouting nonsense? whats wrong with telling those people off?

And as for oppressing every opinion, it's not unlike MyM hasn't been doing this in the recent past, so its something that should not be unfamiliar to staff. Which you are also technically doing here by only listing problems, but not working with thinking of a solution. Everyone can say "i see a problem with this" but only few come with constructive solutions to work-around that problem.

For example you perhaps could set a limit a person can dislike a week. or daily even. So if someone really wants to point out a post they didn't like, they have to choose carefully instead of going on a dislike-spree and just disliking everything they find.

Sannukun and shifty3000 like this.
  6. IsHayden

IsHayden Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    If there would have to be restrictions such as those, I don't see any good reason why we should have it in the first place.

7. wyndman

wyndman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:21 AM
    This can happen through typing statements as well, or even in response to a poll.

IsHayden likes this.
  8. HanoverFist69

HanoverFist69 Administrator

Local Time:
    But posts aren't automatically hidden/denied based on popular opinion.

LadyRen13 likes this.
  9. deepcage

Local Time:
    Trolls will be trolls, there's not much we can do about those. But at least we can limit their trolling a bit then. But instead of shooting it down with another problem, i dont see you offering any solutions.

Gabezetrainboy4 likes this.
  10. deepcage

Local Time:
    Not saying it should be hidden/denied based on this system, but it could flag posts to staff that would otherwise just get ignored. Say with a high number of dislikes, it would serve as a report this post function, except not an actual report, but more a tool that people have been flagging a particular post as annoying/rude/wrong/whatever. Then it could be up to staff to do something about it or not.

Gabezetrainboy4 likes this.
  11. LadyRen13

LadyRen13 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Most social media do not have a dislike button Deepcage, though I know it has been a hot topic in the past. Let's use the wonderful book of faces as an example. They do offer a love, care, sad, wow, and anger emote, but there is no dislike or thumbs down.

LordEreh I believe you may find this interesting but we have restructured how we will be processing mod pack suggestions, you can check out the details on that here! tl:dr? Player suggests pack -> Community Cord submits request for review of yes or no if its possible ->if yes a poll is posted for community to give thoughts->if no player is thanked for suggestion and the request closed out. This is to help prevent false hope for pack suggestions that just can not be supported here.

I'm glad you added a poll here Deep as that is the best way here to gauge positive and negative feed back in a constructive way that prevents attacking or the occasional pile on. I know in the past things were handled differently, and we have chatted about that a few times now, but going forward as long as you are not being attacking, malicious, or underhandedly rude to staff or your peers, there should be no reason to censor people when stating their thoughts in a constructive way. And as we all know, bullying will not be tolerated. Also keep in mind it is not the job of the player to police the rules or behaviors of others. We have long standing outlets for staff or player complaints. As well as the report system on the forums should someone be having a bad day and be a grumpus :troll: in a post.

I do not support a dislike button as I feel there are many other ways to express oneself here without it. There is enough negativity in this world, can't we all just happily click blocks and eat cake together?! :playful: I also have messaged Sir Will on this to find out what our possibilities even are. Please be patient and I will get back with a little more info on what can and can not actually be done here.

12. LadyRen13

LadyRen13 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Hey just getting back here. This unfortunately is not an option with the forum software MyM is currently running. Though SirWill told me, we will eventually be upgrading to the newer software, where reactions are a possibility! :woot: A dislike button however, will not be making an appearance here.