1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accepted GT New Horizons 1.7 pack suggestion

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by CanadaBunny, Oct 18, 2020.

?

Do you wish to see GT New Horizons added to MyM?

Poll closed Oct 25, 2020.
  1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    67.7%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    32.3%
  1. CanadaBunny

CanadaBunny Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:15 AM

Hey guys! Our first pack that needs community suggestion on if we should add it to MyM.

For this it's a bit of an oldie but a goodie. GT New Horizons!

[​IMG]

It has been requested a few times now by multiple people. While old it still seems to have interest.

What is GT New Horizons?

You are looking at a big progressive kitchensink pack for Minecraft 1.7.10 balanced around the mod GregTech.
    Over 3 years of developement (and still going) have formed a balance and refinement that only a handful of packs can keep up with. We are talking about thousands of recipe tweaks, a massive questbook with custom reward system, unique world generation, custom mods coded for the pack, custom Thauminomicon pages, and many more.

The main intentions of the pack are a long lasting experience and tying mods together in a progressive fashion, making it feel more like a single game than a compilation of mods thrown together.
    To reach this goal GT New Horizons is using the tiers (basically ages of technology) from GregTech and allocates content of other mods to a fitting point within the progression.
    Starting in the stone age you will barely be able to survive until you get your first steam machines and eventually reach electricity. Later on you will have to visit other planets and dimensions to gather important ressources and fight mighty bosses to channel their magical power.

If you are fan of expert mode packs and want to take it to the next level this pack will be your friend!

What does this pack have to offer?

Mod pack link

We would like to hear any issues or concerns you guys may have with the pack!

Voting for the pack will last only one week. Please put your votes in for the pack!
    - MyM Community Coordinator Team

LunaBlossoms and Gabezetrainboy4 like this.
  2. maciek2986

maciek2986 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:15 PM
    While that pack is mad fun no idea if it work perfect on server tons and tons of changes mountains of machinery needed and the possible lag where any other modpack can bow their head to it.I hope it will be more fun than regret for server and ppls :D

EBTHOS likes this.
  3. LordEreh

LordEreh Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:15 PM
    Pros:
    1. 1.7 pack
    2. quests!
    3. Custom mobs and boses
    4. Expert pack

Cons:
    1. Greg Tech

4. HanoverFist69

HanoverFist69 Administrator

Local Time:
    8:15 AM
    1.7 packs, and even 1.10, perform far better than 1.12 packs - and use less RAM. I'd bet the beefiest 1.7 pack still doesn't compare to our average 1.12 pack. To me it seems they can easily handle more players, with more mods, while using less RAM and do it without crashing several times a day.

5. LordEreh

Local Time:
    Do i sense a grudge?

6. maciek2986

maciek2986 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:15 PM
    Well if it does than the pack will be lovely and grindy

7. Lachim_Heigrim

Lachim_Heigrim Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Finally a bit more difficult pack. It gets my vote. Refreshing.

Having played this pack on the official GTNH servers for about 3-4 months, I'd like to ask about a few things.

1. Would you consider balancing the mobs before deploying? By that I mean simply removing nonsense infernal combinations which (regen, 1up combos etc.) prevent players to kill mobs in early to mid game and cause unavoidable deaths (blastoff, choke from invisible or distant mob). Check out firespread rules as well, fireballs are pretty much always present. One of the most disappointing aspects of the pack are the unbalanced mobs. Would be great to make mobs a challenge, an adrenaline rush as they should be. Instead of them being a nuisance which just causes repetitive death/respawn/teleport home command or avoidance to cause despawn.

Examples of off-balance if you want to test it:
    a) Water creeper spawning silverfish hill. -> Silverfish are infernal. -> Unlucky explosion (water creeper behind entrance door) and you are pretty much forced to evacuate your base as you won't be able to clean that hill reasonable effort. Too many silverfish, too many deaths.
    b) Neutral mobs being infernal (Pechs, souls). Nothing better like a fireballing webbing choking Pech of doom taking a walk around your base. Also I had pech getting 'infected' by infernal. I suspect another aggressive mob cause it as I had Pechs parked nearby my mob trap.
    c) Die in The End. -> Your gravestone spawns skeletons because of low light level. Skeletons are (obviously) infernal. -> You can't reach your grave, will be killed repeatedly and must wait for the skellies to despawn. -> Then try again or accept loss of items.

2. Can you figure our how to make hardcore darkness fun instead of a waiting game? The hardcore darkness turns early game nights into waiting game because you don't have torches (for 2-3 RL days of reasonable play time) and must sit out the night doing nothing because you see nothing. This means you usually ask other players to sleep the night so you can do progress. Could be addressed by giving new players more torches, or at least providing relaxed sleeping mechanics (1/2 of players needs to sleep etc.) on the GTNH instance. Btw the pack has beautiful worldgen which one never really enjoys before flight due to infernal mobs & hardcore darkness preventing long-distance traveling.

3. Could you think about suitable flexible chunkloading and large-scale claiming mechanic for this server instance? One needs to discover and mine many GT veins - and likely to claim them after hours of searching to prevent others mining it. As manual mining becomes boring over time due to vast amount of raw resources we'll need, we will want to chunkload the veins for automated miners to offload at least some of the manual gathering. Pack progression also requires routine mining in other dimensions, such as Twilight Forest - forcing player to stay extended time in different dimensions. On the other hand, while player is off gathering resources the base needs to be chunkloaded too: finite water requires slow water collection through rain tanks, resource processing and crafting takes minutes (hours) as machines are slow. It is also a space problem. Pack uses Multi-block structures (railcraft rain tanks, GT coking ovens, clunky GT pipes and machines for necessary autocrafting setups), rubber tree plantations, crop breeding fields - this all benefits from having horizontal space instead of 1x1 vertical towers. Please reflect it in the mechanics needed for chunkloading and claiming when introducing the pack.

I'd also suggest some organized start with introduction to more clunky mods. Reading chat on Infinity for the past several weeks shows me most of the players coming here have little understanding of mods this packs routinely expects you to handle.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    alphaest and Gabezetrainboy4 like this.
  8. alphaest

alphaest Patron Tier 2

Local Time:
    6:15 PM
    I've played gtnh on dirthuts for a year on two play-throughs.
    Would gladly go for another round now that about two years has passed.

Pros:
    Greg Tech
    Plants with specific ores

Like in many recent games it concentrates ores - making you search for it at the start but then just returning you to the same location. This is nothing like your normal MC run where you clean the whole earth.
    Also the machines are made from tiered components instead of "adding 4 iron together with a wood".
    I also like the multi block structures similar to Railcraft.
    Setting a blast furnace up first time feels so rewarding - steel tools.

Cons:
    Greg Tech

Oil processing into plastics and late game assembler take so long to setup one might give up before.

Overall I have to praise GNTH for blending the mods together so well - barely any mods use different materials. For example the machines for handling bees are still built from greg components. Which means once you have automated or made a batch of greg stuff you can build almost anything on that tier.

As for bugs and crashes then a few years ago there were a few situations where the questbook didn't accept some crafted item but considering how fast it was being developed at that time, no wonder. Seen a total of two crashes which were caused by explosions.

Lachim_Heigrim and Sannukun like this.
  9. Kazeodori

Kazeodori Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Hey guys. Have you tried Interactions yet? Looking at what you've listed as reasons to play... It might just suit what you're looking for.
    • It is a GT pack.
    • Ores are in compact veins.
    • Multiblocks? Oh yeah. All over.
    • Almost everything is made with GT micro-crafting stuff.
    Give Interactions a try, then see if you still want GTNH.

10. LordEreh

Local Time:
    Interactions is 1.12 pack so...

never

11. Lachim_Heigrim

Local Time:
    Thank you for the suggestion. Been thinking about giving it a try.

12. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    As much as I recommend this pack I disagree with Hanovers Statement about the beefiness of this pack. I load literally any 1.10+ pack Mym offers way faster than GTNH. GTNH is a beast of a pack and makes loadtimes of 1.12 packs look like a joke.
    edit: Just creating a new world takes me like 6 minutes or so. Of course this would not be the case on a server.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  13. CanadaBunny

CanadaBunny Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I think you mistake hanovers statement as towards player loadtimes and ram usage. I believe he means server resources and performance

14. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    yeah i was basically talking about singleplayer experience, but even then i run something like DDSS/McEternal etc much smoother and faster than GTNH.

15. AyeItsKatieMC

AyeItsKatieMC Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Twilight Forest Progression is required to progress in the pack I though there was issues with the 1.7 version that made it disabled

16. Lachim_Heigrim

Local Time:
    I second this experience. My load times for the pack were about 12 minutes on my high-end(ish) notebooks.

17. Jaytuple

Jaytuple Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    That's a scary thought. Even with a beefy computer, load times on Eternal are insane

18. Willshaper

Willshaper Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    I'd love to see this pack come to the network.

As for the loading times etc you guys are talking about;

I had no problem loading the pack. Took 5 minutes and 30 seconds, which is even faster than some 1.12 packs for me (This is on the 2nd run, not sure if first run was slower as i didn't time it)

In SP it does take a while to generate/join worlds, but it runs about the same as any big 1.12 pack that i have tried in SP (8 chunks, all fancy graphics, 100-180 FPS) In all other packs i get better FPS on servers, so i expect the same to happen here.

LunaBlossoms and Lachim_Heigrim like this.
  19. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    Tough decision to see whether it appeals to people. I have suggested the pack a couple of times, but I also think it is one of the grindiest, if not THE grindiest pack in existence. Although the nonsense called Po3K might dethrone GTNH.

The main risk that I see is that player numbers will be low and then it will get taken down in half a year or so. The issue with that is that it discourages people that like this sort of pack, but can only play like 10-15h each week, you will not get close to play through it in this time.

There will always be some nolifers who rush this pack (and that still means half a year probably), but the rest will be left behind.

And yeah, we have world download, bla bla bla, that is not an argument. The point of a server is to have people around, if not on your base, then at least on the server, so you can invite them and brag about all the cool stuff you built :D

Right now I play like 15ish hours per week (which is still a high rate for someone with a life), at this rate I can expect to go through the pack in , I dont know, 2 years?

Everyone who has played Gregtech knows how grindy especially the manual beginning can be. You complained about making stacks of plates in Omnifactory? Well, now even your standard vanilla door has some nuts and bolts in its recipe and needs some stupid GT wrench or whatever.

I do support this pack, but mym staff has to be aware that most people need time to finish it and that means that it can not be taken down after 6-12 months just because interest dropped.

20. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    Ok quick addon. Kharax82 has a youtube series on the pack, and probably the longest and most detailed one. His series lasted 385 episodes. Now, he was not an expert in all of the things, but also not a noob in GT, so he figured a lot out in his series, it is not a cut down series like other youtubers do, but I guess that represents the typical player of the pack.

I just messaged him on Discord and asked him about the playtime and he responded with 135 reallife days, which corresponds to 3240 hours. So with my current 15 hours and the same speed (and playing alone which I guess many people do here) I would need roughly 216 weeks, which is about 4 years to finish.

Gabezetrainboy4 likes this.