1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Always on portals

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by BookerTheGeek, Nov 24, 2020.

1. BookerTheGeek

BookerTheGeek Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    7:00 PM
    Heyo!

So I have a thought. Bear with me here while I go through this with you. I know we have the MyM portal system. I like it, and I understand WHY we have it. Makes sense and have no issues with it at all. I would like it expanded though....

Always on portals! So I always loved to build portal rooms. Rooms designed around the portal to whatever dim they were going to. A flower room for the twilight forest, x8 compressed cobble for the deep dark, void stone for the void, you get the idea.

SO..... Imagine if you will, the ability to keep a portal open all the time? On the sign under the obsidian oval, we could put the dimension the portal goes to on the bottom line of the sign, and the portal will open to that dimension automatically without the popup asking what dimension you want to go to? Also the portal would remain open forever once the Redstone signal is applied just once. This will allow us builders who like to decorate and build to create our portal rooms!

So the sign, would have portal on the top line, the second line would be the username of the person creating the portal, and the bottom line would be the dimension that the portal goes to. If it is possible, the third line could be the block name of the portal material, so that we could use material other then obsidian for dimensions. Say end stone bricks for the End, or Glowstone for the Twilight Forest and stuff like that.

2. miker5231

miker5231 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:00 PM
    I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to make a portal/dimension hub on my island. It's so frustrating to select a dimension EVERY SINGLE TIME. Although... I can see it being a time-consuming process with many stress tests. Imagine if a bunch of players decide to make portals for each dimension, depending on how those portals are generated and handled, it could cause major performance issues, client-side and server-side. Additionally, we wouldn't see the fruits of this for a long time and it may not be backported, as it isn't a high priority.

3. BookerTheGeek

Local Time:
    iirc the reason we have the portal system is solely due to:
    • Nether: the portal being created outside of the nether world border causing you to die very quickly
    • End: difficulty for players to fid the end portal and then those portal being claimed and made unavailable to players
    • Twilight Forest: make sure you teleport to a biome that will not kill you asap
    • Other: Ease of use since we already have this plugin.

4. BlazeFTB

BlazeFTB Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I would like to see this too I miss the good old portal hub builds.

5. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    1:00 AM
    Or even worse, to specifically place a portal at specific coords in the nether, to nuke someone's Overworld ME system, we had a bug a while ago where portals started showing up randomly in people's bases.

I personally use the portals once to get into dims and then set homes there, but of course that is not an option for everyone.
    Especially for builders I think that is an awesome idea.

6. BlazeFTB

BlazeFTB Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    You guys could also try making it so that a momentary Redstone signal produces a temporary portal like it always has however if you power it constantly like by leaving a lever in the on position it keeps the portal open until the lever is turned off. That way we can have the best of both worlds with the system so that way we can have the portals on when we want to but we can turn them off for security purposes so that people can’t come through them into our bases.

7. LordEreh

LordEreh Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:00 AM
    Cant you make a "room" of specified dimension behind portal?

In single i always love to make copy of nether I see when i go through portal in overworld, something like smooth transistion between worlds

8. BookerTheGeek

Local Time:
    @BlazeFTB my suggestion is in addition to its current functionality.

9. HanoverFist69

HanoverFist69 Administrator

Local Time:
    5:00 PM
    The problem here is this would require a recoding of the Command Helper scripts for older servers and the MyM-MultiPlex-Portal plugin for newer servers. A lot of it from what I can tell. SirWill and Aido are really the only two capable of this so it comes down to if they have the time or not - and we all know they probably don't.

10. BookerTheGeek

Local Time:
    So something like this then? World Portals

Also your right that they most likely do not have time for this. :(

11. HanoverFist69

HanoverFist69 Administrator

Local Time:
    5:00 PM
    No support for 1.7 or 1.6.4.

Code:
    Tested Minecraft Versions: 1.8,1.9,1.10,1.11,1.12,1.13

12. BookerTheGeek

Local Time:
    I know. Just because I'm playing on 1.7 now though does not mean it could not be modified or added to the other packs. And if Aido or SirWill says they are interested, I could talk to the dev about getting the source to integrate into the MyM system, and getting it backported to 1.7.