1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future of MYM Poll!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by AoifeEnns, Oct 5, 2021.

?

What would you like to see more of?

1. 1.16/1.17 servers (limited support)

28 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. Focus on current servers, with more world resets

11 vote(s)
    17.7%
  3. Revisit older modpacks

22 vote(s)
    35.5%
  4. Other

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  1. Aidoneus

Aidoneus Director Booster

Local Time:
    7:22 AM
    That is why we put limited support. We could host just plain forge servers with no MYM plugins. Which isn't ideal. Have the reason for this poll

mrminesheeps likes this.
  2. misscatlin1951

misscatlin1951 We die so others may live. Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    9:22 AM
    Look... I started with modded Minecraft over 5 years ago. Having to learn a new pack is a pain. but that is what keeps me coming back after a spell of not being able to play. The old mudpacks had their show, bring them back in a showcase. Totally work on the 1.16, and the 1.17 packs for mod creation. The newer packs (1.12 and beyond) still have a lot to give modded play left and mods that I would like to see ported (Regrowth especially). I really am not a devote of Blood magic and some of the other magic packs, but I would still like to see them upgraded. I agree that Regrowth does need a look at with a slight difference. Try Regrowth on hard with the crystalline pack and new ore pack. Regrowth on the whole put the very best player at a disadvantage. With a rudimentary ore pack to start, I think it would go over well but that's just my thinking.

3. mrminesheeps

mrminesheeps Helper

Local Time:
    6:22 AM
    So, the way I could see that working is for a while, run servers whitelisted for people with a certain amount of playtime (For example, people who've put more than a week of playtime on the network) for 1.16/17 modpacks, and then when there's more plugin support it can be opened to the general public?
    Or those with ranks or patron tiers can also skip the playtime requirement, of course. Figured I'd mention that lol.
    Ideally the playtime and/or rank whitelisting would keep out people more likely to grief or break rules, and a week of playtime total would be a good indicator of people who are willing to follow rules I feel like. It's just a thought, I don't expect that to happen though lol.

4. misscatlin1951

Local Time:

5. AoifeEnns

AoifeEnns Consultant

Local Time:
    We actually do test modpacks before releasing servers to players. And we do our best to stress test it as best we can. And if you know what you are doing, you can crash even the best build modpack around. If we limited the packs we host to those that are the most tested against crashing from overbuilding etc, we would host a lot fewer packs than we do, but that would be boring.

What mrmimesheeps is suggesting is having a playtime limit to prevent people who are completely new to the network from being allowed to come onto a 1.16+ modpack server (without getting patron) as those are generally the people most likely to cause harm. People who have sunk time into the network, or money in the case of patrons are less likely to do something that would get them removed from it.

As for the earlier suggestion of modifying the pack, like regrowth, we will not do that. We keep modpacks as close to the official release, depending on the version we host, as possible to allow people to join from any of their preferred launchers, and not forcing them to use ours. Client-side only mods we can look at, and sometimes whitelist those, but server-side mods we do not add. It is up to the mod author to make those changes.

mrminesheeps likes this.
  6. BookerTheGeek

BookerTheGeek Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    8:22 AM
    For sure. I could crash any server (even vanilla) inside about an hour of playtime. It is almost impossible to crash proof a server other then setting it to adventure mode.

We do not do that... Anymore. ;) Remember Agrarian Skies Plus?

mrminesheeps likes this.
  7. Aidoneus

Aidoneus Director Booster

Local Time:
    7:22 AM
    I think there is a difference between modifying a modpack and modifying a modpack into a new one?

mrminesheeps likes this.
  8. mrminesheeps

mrminesheeps Helper

Local Time:
    I personally feel that this would be the most fair; It doesn't pay-gate packs, it simply runs a sort of honor system for who can and can't play until plugin support is available (Like Grief Prevention or whatever it's called now, Prism/whatever, etc.) at which point the server can be opened to the general public. It'd be cool if we put up a vote for a modpack run under this system :)

9. misscatlin1951

Local Time:
    I think that Modding a pack as old as regrowth will not help the situation. I suggest a creation of a Re2, which has the original theme and using part of the mechanics and adding other content. There will not be any modifying of the mod pack because the mod pack will virtually disappear. I have done such programs before, but I am afraid that all I could do now would be to say "Yea, hat needs to be in or Na, That isn't needed. I do not program in C++, or JAVA. These programs came about long after I was in the corporate world and I never learned them because they weren't needed in my business

10. mrminesheeps

mrminesheeps Helper

Local Time:
    Honestly, if we were to do a new Regrowth server, I'd wager that making a brand new, more modern Regrowth would be ideal; Though obviously that means putting together a new modpack. That being said, I feel there'd be a decent audience willing to play a modern reimagining of Regrowth.

11. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    2:22 PM
    I was talking about a custom version like we did with ag+. And when it comes to regrowth I am memeing, this pack has died twice and for God's sake let it rest in peace.
    Why does everyone need updates to packs? Regrowth is a finished pack. Forever stranded is a remake of crash landing and wasn't needed. Neither was celestial journey, which was a dj remake.

If you want to continue those old packs, then make a sequel like dj2 now.

12. LordEreh

LordEreh Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Galactic Science 2

13. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    That pack exists, but like any other pack it was abandoned by Caithleen. And since MyM doesn't own it, we can't finish it.

14. BookerTheGeek

BookerTheGeek Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    8:22 AM
    @Lirael & @Aidoneus , if someone was to make a pack, with everything else being equal what version would be better/easier for the server to host?

15. AoifeEnns

AoifeEnns Consultant

Local Time:
    Right now, the best version would probably be 1.12.

BookerTheGeek likes this.
  16. BlazeFTB

BlazeFTB Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I would also say 1.12.2 just because that is the go to standard and most mod developers have stopped providing updates for the 1.7.10 and older versions of their mods. Personally I have always been a fan of 1.7.10 because I found the mods were better in someways and even on my really high-end PC 1.12 packs take double the time to load then an equivalent 1.7 pack

17. misscatlin1951

Local Time:
    I have been recently looking at mods and packs and I am finding Botania mods consistently upgraded to 1.17 and most of the other mods in the pack have been upgraded as well, so it seems that some enterprising server owner or his staff could come up with the equal to Regrowth. Also there are many mods that take their existence from Galactic Science 2 but are not using the base program. Some are in a state of limbo (1) but most are being modded and used.
    As someone famous once said "Build it and they will come"