1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Minecraft 1.19.1, new banning system, new threat.

Discussion in 'Offtopic' started by LordEreh, Jun 24, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordEreh

LordEreh Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:53 PM
    Everyone heard the news? MS will implement new banning system to our beloved game.
    MC community is... in uproar after hearing what new system can do.

And here is my question to staff - Does that update will anyhow affect MyM?
    and to all other community memebers (after you read about topic a little) - What's your opinion?

For me its MS' attempt to get control of 3rd party servers in name of "safety".

2. mrminesheeps

mrminesheeps Helper

Local Time:
    5:53 AM
    What new banning system? First I'm hearing of it.

3. LordEreh

Local Time:
    Here some links:

The worst thing it will affect every server not just Realms, which is stoopid bc some private servers are made by friends who dont care about language or slurs to some point and with this new system those who play there are endangered.
    That is the main point about fuss around it - MS will meddle in server it dont own, just imagine some1 win on Hypixel and salty kids reports that person, with enough reports I dont think anyone from Mojang will check if reports are valid and system will automatically ban for nothing.

4. SovereignEternal

SovereignEternal Former Admin, I'll be back.

Local Time:
    IMO, players should only be allowed to report players on public networks, and that bans should only affect public networks. There is no way to gauge what goes on in a private server, and whether a certain comment was inappropriate or valid. There's simply no way to get any context. Even in public servers, they should have moderation that allows them to ban players on the individual network, so I don't see any benefit to this system.

5. mrminesheeps

mrminesheeps Helper

Local Time:
    I can understand that they want to create a kinder and more kid-friendly environment for their game, but really what it comes down to is that it'll be abused by angy bois, trolls, etc. to cause grief.

6. LordEreh

Local Time:
    Exactly, in name of getting a little more games sold by creating more friendly enviroment for kids and for more strict parents, theres 126 million active players in which slightly more than 50% are adults, and many of them are MC creators. Just imagine trolls reporting Dream, MumboJumbo and many more for nothing/for fun/to abuse new system. Just for a little more income it will affect around 50% of MC playerbase which I can comprehend why MS is doing that. Also like I said - dedicated servers are made to give us freedom, I myself play on 1.19 private server my guildmaster created and theres only adults who play there and I am afraid those changes will affect how we play on OUR server.

7. MCSuperplayer

MCSuperplayer Minecraft Modpack Enjoyer

Local Time:
    One Problem i see with this system is that the Global "Banned" State blocks you from the Multiplayer Menu when you are in that Version
    When in a lower version, you can access the Menu, but the Authentication Server will not let you Join any Multiplayer Server, unless its a Cracked Server

What would happen to my bases if that happened to me?

8. Datsaltysnek

Datsaltysnek lover of NCIS

Local Time:
    7:53 AM
    I get that people aren't extremely happy about this but servers do have the ability to toggle it off for themselves and Microsoft is first rolling this out to their "realms" servers. This might help them against parents/online groups who say "Minecraft cannot be rated e for everyone because of the online content!" this is a way besides a (slightly annoying I agree but semi necessary thing also) decentish method to still allow younger players to be able to play the vast majority of online Minecraft content while not getting their parents down their necks every time they start to launch the game. Altho it would be better if their was a "toggle" in addition/alternative to this "report" things as well.

9. AoifeEnns

AoifeEnns Consultant

Local Time:
    You think they will just receive a report and ban without investigating at all? That is not how a company like Microsoft operates. They will only issue a ban IF they find enough evidence to go ahead with the ban. Remember Minecraft is a Microsoft game, so even if stuff is done on a private server, it can still affect Microsoft, so they, like every other game company out there, needs to implement something to protect themselves.

The only people who should be worried about this new system, are probably the same people who already do get banned or otherwise punished on servers now, as long as it is handled well, I am all for the system.

Sandstroem and mrminesheeps like this.
  10. mrminesheeps

mrminesheeps Helper

Local Time:
    I like the idea of it, but I'm mostly concerned about the potential for abuse. Especially if they let an algorithm of sorts handle it, because I find it hard to believe they'll have an actual team of people sorting through each and every ban request.

11. LordEreh

Local Time:
    And here you are wrong - it will be Mojang, not Microsoft resposible for review the reports and managing the new system. Probably MS told them to make new system that will work with MS' ToS of Minecraft becasue i remember some article about "friendly enviroment for players"
    So I have really big doubts about this system bc Mojang recently splits EVERY single update in 2 or 3 parts(1.19 so called wild update is basically 3rd part of caves'n'cliffs update not the standalone update).

12. mrminesheeps

mrminesheeps Helper

Local Time:
    I can't say it's fair for you to try and deal in absolutes, we all know about the same amount of information because that's all we've been told. Anything beyond what we've been told is pure speculation, so nobody is right or wrong here. We won't know the true, full scope of things until it's released.

13. BookerTheGeek

BookerTheGeek Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    Server owners will have the option to have it be turned on or off. I hope that MyM decides to keep it turned off.

14. wyndman

wyndman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:53 AM

In a perfect world of course there would be due process, this world is not perfect. Imagine a much more realistic version of this system where players are universally banned for things such as a player didn't like someone, or if you were playing on one of those mini-game server places and lost at pvp someone gets mad accuses you of cheating you get banned.. now take a more dystopian view... more banned accounts means more sales for Minecraft.

15. BookerTheGeek

Local Time:
    The ban is tied to your Microsoft account, so you would need to set up an entire new Microsoft account and then buy a new Minecraft account for it.

16. wyndman

wyndman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:53 AM
    That's a small hurdle I already had to do that to migrate all of my accounts, another problem is this has the potential to wipe out B-Team's population entirely!

Kazeodori and Aerydar like this.
  17. LordEreh

Local Time:
    Well, just imagine how it would look at numers for Microsoft - more MS account = more populatirty and more sales, who cares if some of them are inactive?
    Like Epic can brag about X accounts/free games claimed, they wont tell some accounts are made just to claim free games and those acc spend round 0,00 in Epic shop.

18. SparedPumpkins

SparedPumpkins Senior Moderator

Local Time:
    12:53 PM
    I've already had to buy Minecraft again and register a new name since Microsoft took over as they refused to port my account.
    What new horror is this?
    Microsoft should stick with creating operating systems and expensive office packages and keep gaming for the gamers.
    {;,,,;}

BookerTheGeek likes this.
  19. Aidoneus

Aidoneus Director Booster

Local Time:
    6:53 AM
    Is this all a ploy to make people buy more accounts? Kinda seems like it in my eyes a bit. I wonder if there will be a way to dispute the ban? I don't see one currently. This all seems odd to me as you should really let server owners control who should or shouldn't be on there servers. Only benefit I really see to this is possibly banning bots? Still seems like MS is sticking their nose in where it wasn't really needed anyways? Overall, I am iffy on this change.

As far as what MYM will do, honestly, I am not to sure we can even do anything? I see Booker mentioned a way to disable that. We could look at that. We will have to look at that and see if there are any downsides.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
  20. BookerTheGeek

Local Time:
    Depends on what you mean by downsides.

From what I can tell from talking to other server owners, personal testing and reaching out to Microsoft, their is neither a carrot or a stick to persuade server owners to enable or disable the reporting feature.

If enabled, chat logs are sent to Microsoft. For that reason alone I can see most 3rd party servers (So servers not hosted by Microsoft if their is such a thing) turning this feature off.

I think this is more of a C.Y.A. type deal more them anything else. This covers Microsoft so they can say they are putting the tools out their so children (age dependant based on where you live) can be protected. Now they can't be sued for endangering children.

I don't think we here at MyM will need to worry as we;
    1. Already moderate our chat pretty well (except maybe b-team ;) )
    2. Laws in the country the servers are hosted in will need to consulted and gone over before allowing a company in a foreign country access to chat logs of children.

Basically nothing to worry about unless or until the option to turn off goes away.

- have fun everyone!

Cantiel, BetaPetey and mrminesheeps like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.