Website/Landingpage overhaul

Discussion in 'Community Talk' started by Slind, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    6:37 AM
    Hey,

you might have noticed that the teaser images from the modpacks on our website are quite outdated. While I really like the current design, we don't have anyone with good skills and enough time to spare to create such awesome teasers for the new packs. Unfortunately are we not allowed to use the ones created for/from FTB.
    While SirWill is not unskilled in this area the current ones are on a high level and it is pretty time consuming.

So I was thinking about changing the site a bit so we don't require these teasers anymore. Do you have any ideas, suggestions or do you think we should stick with the current style/template, build teasers for the new packs and leave the smaller servers out or give them a "more" teaser?

2. Azzer16444

Azzer16444 Azzer

Local Time:
    5:37 AM
    The current style is perfectly fine, but I'd suggest that users already logged in are directed to the forum area rather than the home page.

3. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    The site and the forum are different setups. I keep that in mind for the website rewrite. However I am not sure about the down sites of not being able to visit the main page while logged in.

4. Azzer16444

Azzer16444 Azzer

Local Time:
  5. Krxxzy

Krxxzy Guest

6. Azzer16444

Azzer16444 Azzer

Local Time:
    Exactly, it just makes it a little bit easier to get around and means people can skip that loud music on the homepage.

7. sk_

sk_ Active Member

Local Time:
    I think the music should be removed altogether. It's insanely annoying whilst playing my own music to have something else played as loudly as it currently is over the top when it needn't be played at all.

chugga_fan likes this.
  8. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    mhh, why not mineyourmind.net/forum ? or even a bookmark

9. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    Can you give me your general use case of the website? While I totally understand that it is annoying for members, I don't see why the site gets opened later on.

10. Azzer16444

Azzer16444 Azzer

Local Time:
    The fact I didn't even think of that in the first place highlights the fact that many people, myself included, endure that homepage with it's excessively loud music without even knowing there are ways around it. Don't get me wrong, the music is great if it's your first time viewing the page, but it just gets annoying after a few visits.

Edit: Adding on to my post, the homepage is the only way to access pages such as server stats and donations, perhaps there could be some tabs along the top of the forums for this?

11. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
  12. Azzer16444

Azzer16444 Azzer

Local Time:
    Yes, and in that case perhaps overhauling the homepage by having buttons directing you to areas such as the forums, donations and stats would be a good idea.

13. paulnator2112

paulnator2112 Member

Local Time:
    Maybe, that if you are logged in on the index you get send to the forum trough a location header. And for the tools you create a forum section with the links in there. How about that?

14. JacaRoe

JacaRoe Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    12:37 AM
    I really like the music on the splash page, but as it was mentioned, it is really (really) loud relative to my other running applications.

I still remember being a new user to the site, so I'll share some my impressions of it from then. It took forever for me to realize that the pack banners on the splash page were clickable. Was the "play now" button there then? That might have thrown me off, as I would naturally just click that first. I also found that I had to keep a separate bookmark for the forum, because with all that was going on at the front page, I completely missed the navigation tabs. Lol

Now that I'm used to using the site, those aspects are painfully clear and I find site navigation through the tabs at the top, mostly. It's still kind of difficult to direct users to the launcher download (which people should really use more often!) because the navigation to the download link almost seems circular. I've found the same to be true for the Shop. I know where I want to go, but I end up clicking the wrong link to get there, multiple times.

I would recommend listing all the packs on the splash page somehow, even if it's just a mini-text banner or text link, because the more options you advertise the better. While it's good to have the main packs clearly visible, many people may assume those main packs are all MyM has to offer if they don't go further than the splash page.

I do love the forum changes so far - it's good to have the most popular topics listed, because for some reason I miss a lot of good conversations. This one for instance, which I only saw today.

I have some experience with phpbb administration and while there as many things I hate about it as I love, it does give certain navigation advantages. One of which is the option of seeing at a glance all the unread topics from the front page of the forum. I'd like to see something like that here as well, though there is so much information to share here (and probably more than I've even explored) I don't know how one would begin to break it down. But if you need examples or further suggestions, I'd be happy to share my experience.

15. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    The current idea is this as last splash:
    andmore.

[​IMG]

Please feel free to share some barriers you are experiencing.

16. Decnav

Decnav Proud member of the VRMasterRace Patron Tier 2

Local Time:
    When im on the fourm, I click home all the time by mistake. The music....... wish there was a mute option.

New page is looking nice, I like the clickable banners , but maby move the link to the MYM launcher to the top

17. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    nothing new (it has been like this for months, besides the two new splash images)
    do you mean to move the play now button above the splash images?

I'll see to change the home button link to the main forum post page or remove it, as quick solution. (I did the same during the forums first two weeks)

18. Decnav

Decnav Proud member of the VRMasterRace Patron Tier 2

Local Time:
    I like what you did with the home button, maby make a button on the other side for the front page of the site.

I still do it at least once a day, usually when I leave the speakers turned up and everyone is sleeping

19. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    I wonder that you didn't say anything before. I'm certain you are not the only one.