1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion about Advanced Genetics( = OP ?)

Discussion in 'Community Talk' started by Nyadh, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Nyadh

Nyadh New Member

Local Time:
    3:39 PM
    I don't want to complain about using advanced genetics, as I used it myself. But after being able to fly, immune to lava and a lot of other "awesome" stuff I started thinking... All these abilities make a lot of other mods unnecessary or unattractive to use. And for me who started Horizons thinking of an RPG and Magic based FTB Modpack it's quite sad seeing all the "magic" mods like witchery, thaumcraft or Gany's Nether being overwhelmed by these "genetic superpower". I just wanted to hear what others think about it.
    So please reply and tell me your thoughts about the usage of Advanced Genetics in relation to other mods.

2. cbrozak

cbrozak Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:39 AM
    I do agree it's a bit OP. Although I don't think it should be removed, I think it is a great and clever mod. I feel as if the cost of getting these genes are very small and I think that's what's attractive to it. I think if the cost of the machines were drastically increased as well as power usage AND the chance of getting the genes dropped significantly, it would make the abilities more prestigious and less of a necessity. The first time I saw a Sunstone I didn't know there was lava immunity, it made getting a Sunstone quite accomplishing. I couldn't fly either, although I knew about it. After those easy to get genes, piece of cake. I agree, although I do use it, it needs to be gregtech-ified.

On another note, I know I have made a lot of my MyMs this way, but I think the BIGGEST mistake is the ability to take your own blood and sell that. I think selling the completed sells or anything else it fine but the ability to just use someone elses blood to get everything is a bit ridiculous imo.

3. RacoonWolf

RacoonWolf Patron Tier 2

Local Time:
    i think the powers themselves are just too strong. Take the flight power it has no limitations and no draw backs of any kind at all. It pretty much is creative flight being widely regarded as the best form with no time limits on how long you can fly or need to recharge. Thaumcraft and ars magica offer flight as well as witchery. You have to use up inventory space on the items that allow you to fly and that is with either a fly mode that is harder to use IE witchery or requiring mana Ars magica or requiring to be recharged with vis thaumcraft. Thaumcraft even requires you to wear a chest item to fly so it is another drawback. Finally all the other flight options of the other mods have the risk of you losing them because items can be lost. Not true with advanced genetics and the current configuration.

That is just flight the other powers are also quite broken in similar ways. I mean you could just brew some fire resistance potions for 8 minutes of temp fire immunity easy enough and quite vanilla too but why bother when you have always active fire immunity. You have negated the greatest hazard and threat in minecraft lava and as a side benfit an entire damage type along with the mobs that only attack with it. When negating a entire damage type is a side note benefit you know something is wrong.

4. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    What would you think about this:

Advanced Genetic is currently the only mod crashing the server frequently and is responsible for about 80% of the crashes. All of this is related to the unnamed genes in the breeder. As it doesn´t seem that there will be any fix for 1.6.4, we could ban the breeder (and the rest of the machines as there is no use for them) and sell the genes for a price you have to work some time for. This way it could get a luxury item and make the other mods methods more useful for the beginning until you get enough money for adv gen. This would prevent most of the crashes and make adv genes valuable, what do you think ?

Nyadh likes this.
  5. SirWill

SirWill Founder

Local Time:
    Moved to Community Talk

6. Nyadh

Nyadh New Member

Local Time:
    First of all I want to thank you for sharing your opinions. And in my opinion the idea of Slind14 (great admin by the way :D ) would be a good thing to do. But as I'm not really into Advanced Genetics my opinion may be a bit hasty.

7. cbrozak

Local Time:
    I think this is a good idea. Honestly I don't know why it crashes the server, any time I've done it on this server I made it through without a hitch oddly enough. So you are saying ban the breeder but keep the combiner and the centrifuge so that we can inject the syringe after we combine the purchased gene? Also I think is an option in the config, if it is possible for just the server to do it then it would be ideal but obviously not if it's client side, I think if you lose all your genes upon death that would make for a bit more value and cautiousness upon using them or purchasing them. Not sure if that's possible, but I am 95% sure it is an option in the config, but again that might be client side which would just cause mass chaos and wouldn't be worth it.

I do think one of the worst things about it is that it is so easy to give the genes you have to someone else. If it was possible to not simply draw your own blood and inject it to someone else and they get all your abilities that would be a lot more ideal. Which, looking at my last post, this is redundant, so I will stop there. ;)

8. RacoonWolf

RacoonWolf Patron Tier 2

Local Time:
    it is a config option i think we even had it enabled at some point.

As for crashing I beielve i heard that mostly it comes down to a issue of people automating the things. The whole process of making genes ect can be rather slow so it is rather tempting to use pipes. Problem is when a unnamed gene unknowingly pops up guess what it gets put in a machine and bam crash. I think most people who know about the mod are not gonna mess with a unnamed gene.

9. cbrozak

Local Time:
    Ah yeah I see. I didn't bother with automating since it's real fast with the overclockers anyway so that would make sense. Haven't even seen an unnamed gene so that also makes sense. If I did see one though, like you said, I'd probably just trash it. I will be curious to see where this goes.

10. MrRoooo

MrRoooo Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:39 AM
    Could we have a NPC to trade a Cell to a Complete Cell just like we have "Tim Salt" to trade out salt? This way we have to use the machines to get the Cell.

11. cbrozak

Local Time:
    On that note, I have never been able to get Tim Salt to work, and have never been able to find RotaryCraft salt in the world. How does he work exactly?

Also the thing about that is it takes several cells to make a completed cell, so that idea without adding a cost to it would only make genes significantly less valuable.

12. MrRoooo

Local Time:
    @cbrozak

No clue

Maybe the Cells, X Basic Cells, plus 20 MyM as a 'fee'. That say you have to get all the items first. The fun part of the mod is to find all the genes first.

13. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    We could make that on the horizons and b-team with npc, however the npc mess up monster, so we would have to find another solution for monster.

14. MrRoooo

Local Time:
    Monster might have to be a manual process. Something like ask your Mod or Admin for a switch.

15. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    I just noticed that this won´t work. We can´t sell genes via npc and the global market as they all have the same id. So we would have to use trade-o-mates or quickshop.

16. cbrozak

Local Time:
    I like this idea. It's unfortunate the id's don't match though.

Trade-o-mat is IC2 right? No IC2 in horzons (which I kinda like about it, makes me change it up). Would quickshop work without matching IDs too? There is a 'market' box from the Gany's Surface mod that works similar to the trade-o-mat, but most likely wouldn't be able to trade MyMs without extensive programming I'd guess.

17. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    Yeah we could use the market block. Quickshop works like this. You put the item into the chest and it stays inside, if someone buys it he gets the item out of the box. So it is not cheated by bukkit, just transfered from the chest. I haven´t tested it though, but it should work.

18. RacoonWolf

RacoonWolf Patron Tier 2

Local Time:
    As i rember from reading about that market block it also integrates with NEI so if you try looking up a recipe for a certain gene it will list the trade and location as a possible way of making it. Not sure how that will work with genes because as you said. They all have the same ID

19. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    as it is on forge mod base, that should not be a problem.