Some Questions from Someone New to Public Servers

Discussion in 'Community Talk' started by Tairgire, May 22, 2015.

1. Tairgire

Tairgire New Member

Local Time:
    2:37 AM
    This is my first time playing MC on a public server. I've played SMP with some friends prior to this, but lately our paths have diverged and I've been playing solo. I decided to try things out here to see if the public server thing is for me and so far it's been fun, but there's some things I have questions about.

1. What's the etiquette on mining in the Overworld? I know that quarries and similar things are for the farm world, but how about old-fashioned branch mining or caving for ores?

2. I figured out how to build a portal to whatever worlds from the video. Once I've done that, how am I expected to find my way back to my stuff/mine/grave if I die? Am I to set up a second claim and build a little outpost there for doing my mining and other harvesting, along with a second /home spot?

3. What's the etiquette on terraforming the Overworld outside of your claim? (I assume within your claim is pretty much a free-for-all as long as it doesn't cause someone else trouble in some way.) For example, I would like to clear some of the hilly area around me to give me a better line of sight for beating up and/or avoiding mobs.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

2. SirWill

SirWill Founder

Local Time:
    11:37 AM
    You should mine in the farm world as there is a higher chance to find something and in the overworld you will often hit a claim where you can't go further. The farmworld will get reset after a while so that there will be always a chance for all players to get resources.
    There a multiple ways to do this. You can set a waypoint and walk back to the location, you can set another home (tier1+ only), you can create a outpost with a teleport/portal from a mod...
    As long as you don't remove anything from someone else it is fine to terraform your area.

3. _prpl_

_prpl_ Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:37 AM
    First off... Welcome to MYM. and since Sir Will ninja'd me on this post... thats all I'll say :)

4. Tairgire

Tairgire New Member

Local Time:
    Thanks, both of you. :)

5. LucidTheStick

LucidTheStick Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:37 AM
    Welcome as well. Any other questions please feel free to ask. We try to be friendly and encourage all levels/types of players. =)

chaosblad3 likes this.
  6. Lawmonark

Lawmonark Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Welcome, While we are a public server, and a rather large one at that. Most, if not all of us are close friends.
    Enjoy your stay and welcome to the family.

bobthepig2 likes this.
  7. chugga_fan

chugga_fan ME 4M storage cell of knowledge, all the time

Local Time:
    and 90% of people fear me joining the server, but that's a diffrent story :p

8. Adrianfish

Adrianfish Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    that isn't something that you should be proud of just saying

Mijikai likes this.
  9. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    it's a joke :p

10. AlphaRue

AlphaRue Egotistic Extremely Important Member

Local Time:
    that it is, it started when someone accused us of causing all the lag on the server, which was just blatantly false, in terms of server resources used per capita, our groups are usually more server friendly than other groups at similar points in progression, but in my opinion the joke got old a long time ago, @chugga_fan is just so determined to keep it alive.

11. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    i'm not, other people do lol

12. AlphaRue

AlphaRue Egotistic Extremely Important Member

Local Time:
    you were saying?

13. Lawmonark

Lawmonark Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    People don't fear you joining the server, The SERVER fears you joining it... ;)

Adrianfish likes this.
  14. RabidCadaver

RabidCadaver Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:37 AM
    @Tairgire , Welcome! @SirWill is entirely correct. Within your claim, you're free to move about the cabin. Quarries are banned in most overworlds, along with turtles and the like.

15. Tairgire

Tairgire New Member

Local Time:
    Thanks for the help and the warm welcome, everyone. I think I'm finding my feet, finally.

Lawmonark likes this.