Done Server hardware update?

Discussion in 'Infinity' started by Yazzzerrr, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Yazzzerrr

Yazzzerrr New Member

Local Time:
    10:27 PM
    Hello,
    Is planned any kind of boosting up Infinity servers?
    Cause in evening it usually hangs around 5tps.
    Or do You expect from players to buy premium before they experience these horrific lags?

2. Bennyboy1695

Bennyboy1695 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:27 PM
    The server that infinity runs on is more then capable of running 5 infinitys which it did before the reset. Secondly, i see no reports of this tps drop to 5tps in the evenings. IF nobody reports it how are we meant to know and attempt to fix it ?
    Also we in know way want people to buy a rank and then experience lag, and if thats how you see it your very clearly mistaken.

Ash00182 likes this.
  3. Yazzzerrr

Yazzzerrr New Member

Local Time:
    Well, try to connect there and mine something by yourself anytime in the evening...for example now. To be clear it dont mind me to wait a little before the block drops after mining...but mining it 5 times is not fun at all. Speaking about normal infinity - hard one is slightly better but not by much.

4. Bennyboy1695

Local Time:
    As i prevousily said, if we get no reports of the lag. How are we expected to know its happening and therefor fix it ?
    We have multiple ways of contacting us to tell us about the lag, like:
    • /ticket (while ingame)
    • support chat which links directly to our staff chat (mym.li/irc)
    • Contacting a staff member ingame

5. Yazzzerrr

Yazzzerrr New Member

Local Time:
    This is not enough?

6. Bennyboy1695

Local Time:
    Yes a forum post works but the other ways are quicker ways of getting hold of a staff member. Posting on the forums can take a while and not get the issue resolved straight away. Plus the original intent of this post was complaining about the server hardware instead of telling us about the tps ;)

7. Yazzzerrr

Yazzzerrr New Member

Local Time:
    Fair enough. I will submit a ticket whenever the game will be unplayable.

8. Bennyboy1695

Local Time:
    Thank you :)

9. PippinSmith

PippinSmith New Member

Local Time:
    Actually, to reply to this, admin(s) are aware of this (I guess it's miscommunication) because most of the times Matryoshika is online at those moments and tries to deal with the tps problem (with not too big of an effect sometimes)

10. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    The server hardware is still world class for minecraft, it could only be upgraded to 2-4% more power for 5 times the price and more.
    When profiling the infinity server, there isn't anything major most of the time. From a modpack like this we can't expect it to run smooth with +15 players once some progression has happened. We will be opening up more nodes to help with the load.

PoorlySquare080 likes this.
  11. PippinSmith

PippinSmith New Member

Local Time:
    It pretty much started to go down the moment some people were advanced enough to get ae (at least, I think that's what it is) but I've also mentioned this in chat: with evolved being so hard on the recipes for ae, lots of people are going for a logistics pipes system, do those have a great impact on the tps when lot's of people have such a system running?

12. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    I can't really answer this. It highly depends on the setup and version of the mod. One player can have a huge setup that eats like nothing and another player a small one with the same mod that causes major issues.
    I did profile infinity a couple of times over the last few days, most of the time there was nothing peaking out. If we would sum it up by mod, I didn't see any mod going above 5% and if we ignore the top 2-3 often not even above 2%. While in this margin there really isn't much we could optimize. Consider we would take on one of those mods that are at 2%, now we might be able to increase the performance of this mod by 20%, that would 0.4% better TPS, no one would notice it. Ofc. we could get lucky and find something where the performance could be doubled but 1% is like 0.2 TPS. I doubt anyone would even notice the difference of up to 3 TPS (while above 10TPS, which if below isn't any fun to play).

13. PippinSmith

PippinSmith New Member

Local Time:
    can't argue with that ;)

14. walruspuppies

walruspuppies New Member

Local Time:
    1:27 PM
    The server hardware is world class, but might there be an issue with running 4 servers on the same machine? Are all 4 servers competing for the same resources?

15. Bennyboy1695

Local Time:
    They never end up competing, slind is like the best and knows how stop them from doing that :p

16. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    Minecraft is single threaded, that means it can only fully occupy one cpu core. The cpu's we use have 8 logical cores. 4-5 servers per box is a good number that doesn't cause any noticeable performance impact because of overload. Regarding mem, they have 32 gig, infinity with 40 players uses 2.5-3 GB, but is allowed to dedicate up to 5GB.

17. walruspuppies

walruspuppies New Member

Local Time:
    1:27 PM
    Thanks for the clarification! That makes sense, since each instance would be single-threaded. Out of curiousity, how many physical cores are there? I'm still learning about this stuff. :)

18. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    4 and 8 logical (intel xeon 1270v3)