My grievances toward how the servers are setup.

Discussion in 'Archive (Suggestion and Feedback)' started by SeaToSky, May 13, 2014.

1. SeaToSky

SeaToSky New Member

Local Time:
    10:06 AM
    Since I started on this server i've gotten to know the members of our monster community. To say the least they are a fun-filled and colourful bunch of people.

A few days ago I joined the ranks of tier 2+ donors. Since I wanted perks and to do my part towards the server I donated. As I have noticed on the servers there are a few small details that I and a few others think should be ammended.

1.) Access to the Monster+ server.

Many donors feel that the M+ server should really be a velvet rope server reserved for the ranks of tier 2+ donors.

While I dont completely agree with this. I do believe measures should be taken to discourage people from hopping over when things get bad on Monster 2.

Although people that arent tier 2 donors cant make claims. They can still in a sense make a claim. As they can build without fearing being raided or griefed as it is a bannable offense to the person who would raid or grief.

My proposed solution:
    Dont deny access to the M+ server to non-tier 2 players but rather allow raiding of unprotected/unclaimed bases.

2.) Towny. (The consideration.)

This just doesny appeal at all to me. This is not personal bias but rather a factual observation.

Towny encourages community based play which is all good fun and all, but what good will single player towns do? We dont have a large enough player-base to fully utilize towny. Towny works for servers that exclusivly base themselves around towny. I believe towny will just fall flat on its face.

My proposed solution:
    Dont bother with towny at all. Also make it open PVP off of claims. (Might just be me, but opt in pvp is very annoying in my opinion.)

I hope it isnt just me but the current protection plugin is annoying as hell and more trouble to use than is worth.

Im not looking to be attacked nor am I attacking anyone, just stating my opinion on the matter.
    Yes I know that this is the internet and opinions are not supposed to exist... But I went there.

Colindapieman likes this.
  2. Auvreaeath

Auvreaeath Active Member

Local Time:
    12:06 PM
    In this community all opinions are heard by open ears no matter which server you play on! (;

I think you should post your opinion regarding Towny in the new thread posted by Auonddon so that the rest of the players can view and discuss regarding it. :)
    Link to the thread here: Click Here!

3. cbrozak

cbrozak Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    This already holds true (on M+ only!!!). just make SURE there is no tier person claim near that base before raiding it, or know for a fact that it is a non-tier person. To double check hold a stick in your hand and look into the sky and shift+click to see all claims in a semi-large radius around you. If one is near I would say better safe than sorry. If you are unsure just create a /modreq ticket at that uncliamed base and a mod or admin will come and double check and remove the base.

4. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    7:06 PM
    May I ask for more detail on the quoted topic?

5. Ipozi

Ipozi New Member

Local Time:
    1:06 PM
    That'd be great, but /modreq still doesn't work on M+.

I would also like to ask if there's a point where the players donate enough to be able to upgrade the M+ server. Over the past few weeks there has been a massive influx of players and it's bogging down the server. Consistently we are getting lower or equivalent TPS issues that M2 has been getting for months. This is in addition to random crashes happening over the past few days of unknown cause that leave the server down for hours at a time. I fear that there will soon be more donators than not, and M2 will become the better place to live.

Along those lines, if there is any way that we the players can aid in improving chunk response time and improving TPS? I think I can say that we would love to help. It just benefits everyone. I don't know how this type of system would work, but if we could see a continually updating list of the most resource intensive chunks then I think the players would be more than willing to help each other find more efficient ways to accomplish what everyone needs.

I think he would be talking about the glowstone and gold blocks which tend to cause client crashes if they land on conduit and are just annoying regardless.

- Ipozi

6. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
  7. Ipozi

Ipozi New Member

Local Time:
  8. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
  9. Ipozi

Ipozi New Member

Local Time:
    Oh, oops, I meant what is causing the bottleneck to occur (assuming that it is not the cpu)? Not what a bottleneck is :)

Or are we simply managing to stress the processor?

10. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    the cpu is fine. but the issue is that minecraft can only use one of the 8 threads the cpu provides. As minecraft is limited to a single thread it can't use the full power of the server. (does that answer your question?)

11. SeaToSky

SeaToSky New Member

Local Time:
    10:06 AM
    Ok where to begin...

1.) The corner marking blocks!

Holy crap theyre annoying! They never stay hidden ever!

2.) The minimum 10x10 plots.

Sometimes I dont want/need a plot so large nor do I have enough claim blocks sometimes. It's not that big of a deal, but it does inconvenience me sometimes.

3.) The shovel claiming.

This system while versatile and effective, is confusing. Sometimes it is annoying. Id rather just walk around and claim chunks. I feel that chunk claiming would be better as you can easily see chunk borders in FTB by pressing F9.

I may be full of complaints but I also have a system that would work. Well for me personally.

Ideally we would claim chunks. So you may ask "How would we reward players with increased amounts of claims?". Well my proposition would include an overhaul of the voting reward system for monster.

Basically when you vote you will recieve a credit. This can be anything that can not be crafted or only be spawned in through creative. Then when you go to claim a chunk you will exchange the credit for a chunk. When you abandon a chunk claim you will recieve the credits back equivalent to the amount of chunks you have.

If you dont want them to be tradeable you could setup a non tangible credit system.

Anyways yea...

12. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    This is due to the fact that we are able to protect your stuff from access outside of the claim. You might have noticed that you can't use some items near claims. If claims would be smaller than 10x10 we would have to scan more blocks which would need endless server resources.

Building a protection system from ground up is weeks of work and our devs don't have the time for it next to university/work and real life.

13. chaosblad3

chaosblad3 Very Well-Known Member Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    6:06 PM
    I cant remember if ive asked this before but does MyM use the TickThreading plugin? And if so how much of a difference does it make?

14. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    There is no use-able version of TickThreading for 1.6.4, nallar just began updating to 1.6.4 two weeks ago and for it being use-able will take weeks to months and being stable months to never. Besides that, Monster will be one of the last modpacks being compatible with TickThreading because of its size.

15. cbrozak

Local Time:
    You do realize chunks have 156% more blocks in them than 10x10?

10x10 = 100 claim blocks

1 chunk = 16x16 = 256 claim blocks

On your note of credits, we have those, they are the MyM earned for voting or using the market (from other players) and you are able to exchange them at a 1:1 ratio at spawn. So if you earn 60 MyM a day just for voting you can earn 60% of another 10x10 plot which is almost exactly what you said your ideal system would be but on a little more balanced scale. Honestly it is basically the exact same thing you described.

16. Ipozi

Ipozi New Member

Local Time:
    It does, thank you.

I really don't think this is a good idea, it changes claim limits from 100 blocks to 256 and would be hurtful to those players not designing their bases around the chunk boundaries. it could potentially turn a 10x10 block claim into a 2x2 chunk claim which increases the number of claim blocks needed from 100 to 1024. The same would apply for the use of claim chunks, it turns 1 needed 'claim chunk' into 4.

It looked almost too good to be true when I saw the description for TickThreading. In light of this, I think giving players the ability to see where the most resource intensive chunks are would be a good idea to at least try out. I know I've personally run into issues with using too many server resources without meaning to, just because of the nature of some basic, although large, builds. The best result from this is that players help players to become more efficient, worst case is that it does little to nothing to change the current situation. Just my 2 cents.

17. cbrozak

Local Time:
    Feel free to ask a co-admin or admin to do an opis profile any time and we can tell you where your chunks stand in the most intensive chunks, or relative to average.