Public Machine and Processing Area - Community Area

Discussion in 'Archive (Suggestion and Feedback)' started by bcreative1979, Mar 18, 2016.

?

Public Machine and Processing Area - Community Area

1. Yes would be awesome !!

39.1%
  2. No we don't need it !!

17.4%
  3. Would not work...

17.4%
  4. Too easy...

26.1%
  1. bcreative1979

bcreative1979 Creator of "The Workshop 2.0" and "old man"

Local Time:
    5:34 AM
    Hey guys and girls.

Is anyone interested in a Public Machine and Processing Area?

Obviously on the Direwolf20 Modpack - Node 1

Mainly an area where beginners can use machines like Thermal Expansion and Ender IO.
    Maybe even Tinkers Construct with some basic things, obviously not end game, but the basics?

I would be willing to make an area like this..

I could use some help in setting up the permissions so the usage would be regulated and not abused and maybe a mod that would be willing to do something about someone greifing this area because I would not like to make the area unclaimed?

Any thoughts?

2. Arcanuo

Arcanuo Old School Poster

Local Time:
    12:34 AM
    For permissions, you can allow container access, which I believe extends to machines, iirc.

3. _Lordicon

_Lordicon MyM Real OG

Local Time:
    So pretty much taking the fun from the game and giving everyone and easy way to play? Also there is a 95% chance that the whole area would end up griefed. If you set it up for public use then I believe there is nothing we could do about a grief case as you are willing to allow players to use it as they see fit.

Kazeodori likes this.
  4. tyler489

tyler489 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:34 PM
    this is false as vanilla player s had a few publoc builds that were griefed

5. newabcd

newabcd Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    You can use something like /containertrust all which gives access to all inventories but they can't break blocks.

bcreative1979 likes this.
  6. MakakPL

MakakPL Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    6:34 AM
    Just make a option to spend tokens form voting in shop to bay resources ... but fore example on FTB Regrowth what will you sell that will not spoil game ? gravel :) )

From experience it will be hard to balance in most of packs crating machines and using them is a part of experience, it may be a good idea for non HQM mod pack based od in server economy ( like Vanilla Jail servers ) but who knows maybe it will work ....

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  7. _Lordicon

_Lordicon MyM Real OG

Local Time:
    I retract my answer and will just say that you should publicly post signs in the area stating that it is free to use but breaking or stealing would result in a grief report being brought up upon the user. Just to cover all ends please make sure the area is well posted with signs so players know they can publicly use but not take.

8. bcreative1979

Local Time:
    thank you for the feedback guys.. yeah I think I would have to be carefull...

lordicon... yes you are right it would have to be very simple and not a lot of tech because people should be able to find their own stuff and work for it.. I was just thinking for simple things it might be a good idea[DOUBLEPOST=1458321923,1458320127][/DOUBLEPOST]
    And thank you for the info, I will definitely look into that... But you don't meet to retract your comment it is definitely legitimate. Thank you for the input[DOUBLEPOST=1458321989][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I was actually looking at those commands and will definitely look into it....

Thanx for that

9. fizzydog64

fizzydog64 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Me and quite a few other players did this on the project ozone servers, in multiple places, ending in the last millenium. A fair warning, we had the place covered with signs, but still some dinglehorns decided that they wanted to ruin everyones fun, and thus tore the place up.

Just remember that it will probably be destroyed, and by the time you find out, it may be too late to report it

10. Kazeodori

Kazeodori Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:34 PM
    Seen similar things happen over and over again. Some one wants to create something nice for the whole server... One or two annoying people mess the whole thing up =/
    It's frustrating for the player that built it "I only wanted to make something nice for everyone!" to have what they created destroyed/griefed/abused.
    It's frustrating for staff because it's happened many times "This again? Sigh." to go and investigate/roll back/sorry can't do anything.
    It's frustrating for other players "yay I can get started easier, oh wait it's destroyed again" when they come to depend on something like that and it isn't there any more.
    The only ones who don't find it frustrating are the griefers. "Woo all this stuff to keep smashing!"

While I do like the ideas of public use areas... There's always some one who makes it not fun.

11. bobthepig2

bobthepig2 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:34 PM
    I once played on a towny server and my "town" had a public machines, and it did not seem to break the "balance" but i would say not to have any "advanced" machines. ex(rolling machine). I say this is a great idea.

12. bcreative1979

Local Time:

I know what you mean, there will always be "those" users but with the commands we have like the trust commands that allowes users to use the machines and not break them... and I might be able to use those[DOUBLEPOST=1458389873][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I agree it should be "just the basics" nothing to fancy but maybe like you said, rolling machine and basic ore processing..

13. bcreative1979

Local Time:
    Quick question maybe to the MODS.. if I do create an area for the public.. what would be the best way to get everyone to go there.. if the area is approved by the MOD would there a a chance to place a book or a link at spawn?

Like I said I am just gathering feedback and info before I do anything.

14. Snowfoxs

Snowfoxs Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:34 PM
    I don't feel like a public machine area would be a good idea, due to the fact that it cuts out some of the playtime a user has. It also would likely undermine some of our paid starter kits, as several machines are included in them. Unless there are endgame items involved though, its not exactly against the rules.

Just know this, if you do decide to make a public machine area, it will likely be griefed more than it is actually used.