/SRV Request

Discussion in 'Archive (Suggestion and Feedback)' started by Fringemonkey, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Fringemonkey

Fringemonkey New Member

Local Time:
    4:27 PM
    this command has gotten out of control on infinity. it is being used every 20 mins on both nodes. i am not sure what should be done, but personally would love to see it restricted to mods only.

2. Lawmonark

Lawmonark Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:27 PM
    i was on there, players are doing it every four hours at most.
    They do it when the TPS is low, when they request it, type /tps and screen shot it, if players are abusing the command by requesting it when the tps is ok, then report it.

3. Fringemonkey

Fringemonkey New Member

Local Time:
    since i have been on this morning, 8am CST (-8) it has been used 3 times. Granted the TPS is low, well under 10 but the server is full and that is to be expected from a big pack with so many players.

4. darkknight5124

darkknight5124 New Member

Local Time:
    10:27 PM
    the /srv command is a last resort when there is no staff on that can try and fix the tps but as fringe has said it seams that players are abusing it the second tps drops slightly

5. Lawmonark

Local Time:
    Screenshots would help the report.

Also im not sure if possible, but is there a way to lock the command untill it drops below a certain tps?
    Would be a great idea if possible, Say if the TPS is under 8, the the Server auto sends a vote.
    Removing the command from players all together.

6. SilentBane

SilentBane Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Maybe we should make it available to a playergroup that has a certain ontime requirement met. Do you think that would help the problem?

7. Fringemonkey

Fringemonkey New Member

Local Time:
    I am not sure that would help, especially if it pulled from total MyM time. as we just had a incident where a longtime player from another pack came on and voted for a restart based on his experience in other packs. i think the solution is to fix whatever underlying problems exist causing the tps to dip below 10 all the time. i personally try to minimize my impact on the server and am always looking for new no/low impact builds. i dont think that is most peoples outlook however.
    also, infinity is laggy, some of us realize and accept it, others cant/wont

8. Lawmonark

Local Time:
    Yes and no.
    This would limit it to very few that might not use it when needed.

Is there anyway to track the tps and have a trigger that runs the command if the tps drops to a certain point?

If this is possible, anything sub 10 would be ideal, since once you get to 9 and below.... its really unplayable.

9. Fringemonkey

Fringemonkey New Member

Local Time:
    i agree with this mostly, but i would put the trigger at 5tps, and the farm worlds stay much higher that the over world. its not as annoying to build sub 10tps as it is to mine.

*edit take a look at the chat logs from infinity this morning. its a huge hairball of complaining and diffrent opinions on this issue. something clearly needs to be done. i do have great respect for the mods and admins of MyM and how they have dealt with it so far, and have faith they will give us a workable solution

10. chugga_fan

chugga_fan ME 4M storage cell of knowledge, all the time

Local Time:
    5:27 PM
    Some times under my watch now on AS2 we see useful /srv requests, i HAVE seen on infinity where they have placed it under 15 tps, and it triggers and works, which is why i opposed it at first, but what it should do is check if a moderator or junior mod or up is on, and when trigger notifies them that it was triggered and to call a Sr.Mod or look into it themselves, this would help alot, and then after immediately cancel the request to reboot while someone is looking into it

11. MaelstromPhoenix

MaelstromPhoenix Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Just give it a cooldown that only staff members can override. Minimum of 1.5-2 hour uptime before you can trigger it.

12. MaddyMcDuck

MaddyMcDuck New Member

Local Time:
    3:27 PM
    Every time people use /srv they say "IT WILL FIX TPS" but it never does so later another person comes on and complains again and puts it up for vote again. I am sick and tired of people using /srv.

13. chugga_fan

chugga_fan ME 4M storage cell of knowledge, all the time

Local Time:
    it does for at least an hour, and it needs to be less than 10 tps for it to be effective really

14. Adrianfish

Adrianfish Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I find on direwolf that the command people use whenever the tps is really low but most of the time it never goes through. Peoples view is that even after a restart it won't always fix the tps and that a staff member needs to fix it to help the tps the best. And a lot of the new players don't know the command what limits the use of the command what is always helpful

15. Pitschweis

Pitschweis New Member

Local Time:
    Well there is still the problem, when is it useful and when not. I encountered on Direwolf20 that people say no and argue like Adrian said. It wont solve the tps problem. But then they still complain about it.

Now I think it should be given to staff only, as players don't know what can cause TPS issues and what the solution is. Sometimes the fix is a restart and then they say no to a vote.

16. Snowfoxs

Snowfoxs Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    How reasonable would it be to implement a vote system to clear ground items, and entities? It would be less drastic than restarting the server on a whim (Though, like almost anything, has the potential to be abused). Possibly reserve it for players who have played more than X hours? Of course; neither restarts or anti-lag measures aren't going to fix player caused TPS issues. If player actions (block break, etc) are being logged to a flatfile, I could see a sizeable performance increase if that were handled by a database and made to be asynchronous. (If it is not already, of course)

17. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    The improvements of this are extremely low. When we clean entities on infinity the tps only changes from 4 to 5, while a restart brings it up to 20 with the same player amount. I also have the feeling that this will create drama between players, as they probably start complaining that others removed their mobs, items.. with the vote..

18. ItsNora_

ItsNora_ Names not actually Noah Booster

Local Time:
    I completely agree with Slind here. I honestly don't think that a vote should be implemented to remove the items/mobs not only do they get removed every 10 mins, there or abouts, but some people don't read chat and could miss this vote and have important items on the ground. I still and always will, unless a good argument is founded, think that the /srv request should only be a staff only command and even then be only Mod+ cmnd but this I'm not so sure about.

19. Woldraxe_Anon

Woldraxe_Anon New Member

Local Time:
    6:27 PM
    I haven't read all this. But I do understand coding. At least VB(x) stuff.

I'm assuming it's possible to implement a rule like this.

If x<=(A number, let's use 10 for example)

Code:
    If x<=10 then

<grant permission to use /srv request>

else

<Don't grant permission (To anyone) to use /srv request>
    End If

I know I logged into direwolf, TPS was ~15 (Little higher), and people were requesting a restart. Obviously it was ludicrous to vote yes, so I canceled it.

~Anon

20. ItsNora_

ItsNora_ Names not actually Noah Booster

Local Time:
    Wait.. Players can cancel the vote??