Ideas for new mod

Discussion in 'Community Talk' started by pizzaluc, Jun 29, 2017.

1. coolgi3000

coolgi3000 Logician of the gods

Local Time:
    5:59 AM
    But does it grow crops faster?

2. BookerTheGeek

BookerTheGeek Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    4:59 AM
    Your thinking of botanias incense.

3. coolgi3000

Local Time:
    Your thinking of vanilla beacons

4. chaosblad3

chaosblad3 Very Well-Known Member Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    10:59 AM
    He might not be but I am ;)

Could you make a functional replica of the vanilla beacon, but which does NOT require line of sight to the sky to work (a beacon that can be used in the nether/caveworlds), ideally make it so that it still requires a sufficiently sized base of resource blocks to activate, and then a player can configure it to project the same 2 level 1 potion effects or 1 level 2 potion effect to all players in range (optional, if it's GUI is accessed by an OP'd player or one in creative mode etc, it should have an Admin mode button that allows any combination of potion effects at any potency level to be projected, also ignoring the base blocks requirement).

5. BookerTheGeek

Local Time:
    Your thinking enviromental techs cross dimensional beacons.

Or it might be dark utilities.

6. chaosblad3

Local Time:
    The ET nanobot beacon only works for the player who placed it and applies the effects for that player no matter how close to it they are or whether in same dim, so that's completely not what I want lol, and I couldnt find anything remotely beacon like in DU......

7. yurikha27

yurikha27 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Hmm...
    Well, I'm not entirely sure of the level of your programming abilities, but I have a few suggestions. Let me know if they're too easy or difficult:
    (In order of increasing difficulty)
    • A decorative block. Like glowstone that doesn't glow. Bonus: Transparency. Objective: Textures.
    • A weapon/tool. Like a pickaxe that mines faster. Bonus: Effects like smelting, setting fire to mobs. Objective: Item textures.
    • An explosive. Bonus: Generate your own craters instead of relying on Minecraft's world.obj.createExplosion method. Objective: BOOM.
    • An inventory. Like a chest, but smaller. Bonus: Multiple pages of inventory. Objective: User Interfaces
    • A machine. Like a brewing stand. Bonus: Multiple outputs. Objective: Combine previous tasks.
    • A player-interacted block. Like a pressure plate. Bonus: Interaction with the player's inventory. Objective: Player detection, inventory management.
    • A block-interacting block. Like a piston. Bonus: Multiblocks. Objective: Awareness of surrounding blocks.
    • Suggestions above. Bonus: Do all of them in one block. Comments: It is HARD to do all of the things you guys want. Creating a simple GUI is painful enough, now you want it to have admin mode?!
    Or, you could work on bugfixes for MyM. We have so many crashes and lag issues caused by poor coding practices. You could patch them by catching problematic NPEs and reducing the tick workload for certain blocks. I like wyndman's idea of limiting the speed of a transfer node.

EDIT:
    Here's a good resource if you're ever wondering how to do something:
    MODDING TUTORIALS - Minecraft Mods & Modding by BedrockMiner

pizzaluc likes this.
  8. chaosblad3

Local Time:
    If he's developing for 1.10 then the transfer nodes from Ex.U2 already do cap out at 20 speed upgrades, your joke suggestion is invalid :p
    [​IMG]

9. wyndman

wyndman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I know I cheer every day when I see ExU fixed that.. but in 1.7...

10. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:59 AM
    Awesome :D Please apply :p

lryanle and Tuffnoodle like this.
  11. A market mod for selling and trading. Also allow some automation with a chest directly connected to the shop. Will think about details in time.

12. BookerTheGeek

Local Time:
    Forestry and IC2 both have that built in.

13. coolgi3000

Local Time:
    How different is making server plugins from modding cus if the exploding sprinklers and item nodes was a plugin then it could be implemented ;)
    Not that it would it just could.

14. Matryoshika

Matryoshika Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Oi pizza :D Long time no see

Well, what do you WANT to do? Generally?
    Magic? Tech? Cosmetic? Lots-of-new-and-shiny-and-colourful-and-multi-textured-blocks?

You're always welcome to send me a PM if you have an issue coding :p

15. yurikha27

Local Time:
    Very different, but sorta the same. You can't do as much making plugins as making mods, because plugins only run on the server-side. Plugin development is IMO easier, because you don't need to deal with GUIs or rendering; plugins are usually and event-handling model. They're similar in that you have a somewhat similar API and well, you're doing it in Java. And yes, you can make sprinklers and transfer nodes explode with a plugin.

16. pizzaluc

pizzaluc Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I got the BeaconReplica set up, to shoot through all blocks and apply the effect no matter what is over it, might do another animation as it looks pretty stupid shooting through random blocks. Will try to get the configuration to work, the hard part is changing the gui to fit the new features, so might think about a another thing, like rightclicking it with a pickaxe activates haste and etc.

Minecraft 06.30.2017 - 20.02.04.02.

Thanks for all the suggestions, nice to have something to always fall back to if i need a new project. Might need to look at my own coding practices before hand :D

Thanks, dont think i have the right expertise right now, but will have it in mind for the future

Nice to see you again Matryoshika, well i skew towards Tech, as that is what i also like to play with in packs myself, but a little magic wouldnt hurt. I really dislike cosmetics, so will probably stay away from that as long as i can :p

17. chaosblad3

Local Time:
    Coolio well I figure it might help you to know what I actually intend to use it for.. basically i'm putting together a modpack where players are trapped in a dimension called The Beneath, and it would be a PvP pack with a safezone at spawn, but I don't want to just have like a region at spawn where PvP is "disabled" since there are so many things that bypass PvP protection plugins, so I would basically want to place an admin beacon at 0,0,0 and have it admin configured to give regen 255 to all players in range making it functionally impossible to DPS someone down faster than it regens, having it projecting the actual beacon effect through blocks would be fine for me since it would give players an easy way to see what direction spawn is in.

18. yurikha27

Local Time:
    You could accomplish this with a command block, with "effect @a minecraft:resistance 10 4" in the block.
    Resistance is probably better, because it negates all damage without healing people and is insusceptible to one-shot attacks.

EDIT: Screwed up the command as chaosblad3 helpfully pointed out:
    "effect @a[r=100] minecraft:resistance 10 4" will include a target selector that limits the effective range to 100 blocks.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  19. chaosblad3

Local Time:
    @a would give it to ALL players on the server, not just those who are near spawn. Also resistance can be just as unreliable as some mods have damage types that ignore all resistance (in The Beneath if you are in the dark for too long then a Grue spawns which deals 3 hearts of void damage per hit, which ignores resistance), though with the admin beacon idea I'd likely use both, possibly even temporary health boost too.

20. coolgi3000

Local Time:
    Well if you had avataria too you could make it equip infinity armor while they are in spawn and put their own armor back on when they leave.