1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server request: Pixelmon reforged

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by CanadaBunny, Mar 9, 2019.

?

Should a pixelmon reforged server be added?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ItzxOdd

ItzxOdd Not Very Well Known Member

Local Time:
    6:27 AM
    Dont get me wrong I like playing hardcore/survival packs but the genre just seems kinda over-saturated. A lighter pack like Pixelmon might be nice.

ImJinx likes this.
  2. CanadaBunny

CanadaBunny Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    7:27 AM

Exactly! My thoughts exactly. We have way to many skyblock packs or packs that are not questing and made to be fun and community based. Not just major packs

ImJinx likes this.
  3. brandonlk

brandonlk Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    12:27 PM
    part of minecraft is the whole mining and building though :/
    So would you have a separate world just for the gyms ect

4. CanadaBunny

Local Time:

Well with world gen the average world gen we do is 10k. I'm sure we have enough room to be able to put the gyms and towns in the same world and just have a spawn in it's own dedicated.

5. GreyWolf11

GreyWolf11 Former Staffer

Local Time:
    My opinion on that would be to have the towns & gyms follow a pathway leading you down your pixelmon championship journey. Might take a bit more effort than your standard server, but I'm sure that we have some staffers/community members who'd be willing to step up.

Fireforce and TomboyEnthusiast like this.
  6. CanadaBunny

Local Time:
    Thats how I was thinking as well grey. That or like we give coordinates at the spawn and they walk to said coordinates.

TomboyEnthusiast likes this.
  7. GreyWolf11

GreyWolf11 Former Staffer

Local Time:
    thats not creative! Banned.

Fireforce and TomboyEnthusiast like this.
  8. CanadaBunny

Local Time:
    Shhh. I'm sure with how many players we got i'm sure we could set it up with walkways

9. TomboyEnthusiast

TomboyEnthusiast Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Or we could have an NPC give them hints on how to get there based on world gen features and rough coordinates.
    "Well around the river at x:500, z:1500 there is a little town there called <blah blah blah> where the water gym is. Rumor is the leader is a fierce opponent!"

ItzxOdd likes this.
  10. wyndman

wyndman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    The issue with adding mods is that for some strange reason not everyone uses the mym launcher, which means mod rejections from twitch launcher etc. It's one of the biggest reasons we don't change modpacks.

11. Kronnn

Kronnn Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    This has been pretty much tried before, but are always multiple issues.

One of the main ones was that the vast majority of players and staff, even those who were calling for the server to be introduced, lost interest after just a few weeks.

Then there were issues with people constantly destroying everything generated or built in the world for purposes like this preventing new players from playing/progressing without constant maintenance from staff members. You either have to protect everything to the point that it cant be used by players, or deal with them constantly being destroyed.

And probably the biggest issue, pixelmon reforged and the related sidemods are the buggiest pile of garbage I have ever had to work with, and I doubt they have fixed it all. Constantly breaking, not working as intended, causing severe issues with permissions and grief prevention among other things, and those were the "stable" versions.

Honestly pixelmon has been brought to the network I think 3 times so far. And each of those has ended up the same way, lots of effort put into setting up and maintaining the servers, and then to rapidly drop off in terms of users. I see no reason why anything would be different this time.

12. CanadaBunny

Local Time:
    As far as I have seen they have fixed most of the original bugs with the mod. And the destroying everything isnt really possible if you grief prevent the cities and surrounding areas. Plus disable pokemon moves being able to change terrian. As far as ive been told the original pixelmon server had too many bugs and thats why it lost players. We had a server for 1.7.10. Which was the original pixelmon. Not reforged.
    [doublepost=1552494170,1552492961][/doublepost]Also with the players losing interest. Tbat happens with everything. Take even po3 for example. When it first started even at 2 am in the morning there was 16 people. Now there is 2. And even at noon with march break there is only 6 people on it.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  13. wyndman

Local Time:
    Seems like Kronnn remembers pixelmon like I do. We had a 1.7.10 and at least two shots at the 1.10 version both ended the same way -fighting about rules and a loss of interest.

14. CanadaBunny

Local Time:
    Wynd I know that for a fact we only did 1.10 once and 1.7.10 once. I only see two closures of pixelmon on the forums Info - Pixelmon 1.7 Closure | MineYourMind Community and Info - Pixelmon Shutdown | MineYourMind Community

And like i had said in my response to kronnn. Simply cause a server doesn't have as many as when it was originally asked for doesn't mean it will immediately turn terrible. Like i said to kronnn look at po3! When we first released it we had 30 player peaks. Now we are lucky to hit 20 and thats in peak times! Just last night for almost 30 minutes we had only 1 person on it!

15. Snowfoxs

Snowfoxs Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Having been here for the previous pixelmons, its just like the demand for a PVP style server. It gets requested frequently, we've tried it several times, and every time people fall in to these categories:
    • Arguing about the rules constantly
    • Losing interest and leaving
    I don't see a need to go down this road again. The definition of insanity is doing something over and over again and expecting a different result said Albert Einstein.

I won't rule it out as a possibility, but I wouldn't exactly give it better odds than winning a million dollars either.

16. CanadaBunny

Local Time:

I can see your reasoning but i'm curious about this? Why would there be an argument about rules? The people arguing about rules shouldn't honestly have a reason to. They go to other places and never once argue about probably the exact same rules yet they do it here just cause they want to. As for losing interest and leaving. Like said before every server has that. It's basically prime time for server activity yet po3 has 8 players right now. It's the same with other servers we have. Just cause we loose a few players at first doesn't mean it won't pop snow.

17. Snowfoxs

Snowfoxs Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    That's a great question. I too would like to know why. But because the rules are not the same as other servers, people get confused and argue about them.

As for people losing interest, there's much more than burst-activity that's accounted for. Obviously a new server will get more traffic than others. PO3 is also new, and patron only, but that bubble fades quickly for any new server. Considering it's patron only, it doesn't exactly have the same supply of new players that other servers do. The previous pixelmon/pvp servers have all been free to play, and ultimately shut down after a month or two. There's more things we look in to like new players, and average online players and performance.

18. CanadaBunny

Local Time:

Thats the point though. A lot of people don't play po3 simply cause it's patron only. Id assume with pixelmon we wouldn't have it as patron only considering it would die quick. People love servers that are new and fun to play. The problem with the current line up of our packs is all we have is survival/hardcore based modpacks. Nothing more relaxing and easy for players to play and roleplay in. We have way to many skyblock packs and not enough open world packs where there isn't always a massive challenge just to craft something. Pixelmon is all about the community interacting with each other and making the game interesting with rivals, battles, tournaments, gyms.

ItzxOdd likes this.
  19. Kronnn

Kronnn Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    They may be saying that they have fixed most of their bugs, but theyve been saying that for a loooooooooooooooooooong time, believe me it's never true from that mod team.
    Tried grief prevention, the pixelmon mods would just never play nicely with it. You either had to leave things unprotected or when you did protect things, they just wouldnt work. And other structures on the map like pokecenters for example that are supposed to be freely available so that players can explore and battle without having to travel back to spawn/their base every 5 minutes, theres no way of protecting them without manually flying to each one and doing it yourself, and from experience I know that if you dont theyre always gone extreamly quickly. No amount of telling players they cant do it will help either.

You are incorrect here. We had a 1.7.10 server for a while, then we had an initial 1.10 server that was set up by lucid that I tried to help iron out all the bugs on (spoiler alert, did not work) then we had another 1.10 node we released later to update things to the new mod version and had gyms, trainer tournaments, built towns etc to try keep interest alive (spoiler alert, did not work).

Have you ever met a player before? They never need a real reason to complain or argue about rules.

You're being told the same kind of thing from several current/past admins who have tried to run the pixelmon servers on the network but just arent listening. You're acting like this network has never given pixelmon a chance and you keep implying that none of us know the difference between a server being dead in the water and one that is suffering from a little dip in player numbers.

Yeah but thats not what happened all 3 times pixelmon was released. Within Id say 3-4 weeks at most, each time player numbers dropped to maybe 1-2 a day. Not at a time, per day. They would go long stretches without being logged into by anyone. And that's with trying to encourage people interacting with each other, having gyms, leagues, events, battles etc etc.

This I agree with, but I dont think the answer is trying something that has failed multiple times already again and again and again hoping that this will be the time it will "pop". The things you're proposing arent anything new, they've all been tried before.Without a lot more interest from players dedicated to staying on the server for the long term I dont see anything different coming from setting up a server in the same way as before.

So take it from someone with experience in exactly this type of server. If released again I see no reason that the same pattern would not just repeat itself. There has been no substantial change in the mod that would make me expect it to attract/retain more players this time, the playerbase fundamentally hasnt changed, the network hasnt fundamentally changed etc etc.

I really dont want to just be bursting your bubble, but the last few times a LOT of effort went into setting up the pixelmon servers, testing everything, trying to make everything work, organising events and buildings and structures and gyms and trainers etc with the players and trying to run the servers in general, all for it to mean nothing a very very short amount of time later. I know because I was one of the people who put effort into both of the 1.10 servers.

Broklyn_Datroll, Fireforce and ggkhs like this.
  20. wyndman

Local Time:
    We did it no less than three times, one of them was a world reset so I'm throwing that in there as a third go around.

I stand corrected by Kronnn, there were three entirely different attempts.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019