1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Server for Modern Skyblock?

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by TheEmosewaPixel, Apr 10, 2017.

?

Should Modern Skyblock get a server?

1. Yes, it seems interesting

30 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. No, [reason in the comments]

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. wyndman

wyndman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:13 PM
    For my feedback on the Snow Island, this one too I found to become grindy and monotonous from the start. Clicking a snow golems feet repeatedly for snow didn't really keep me interested. Combine this with the need for a mob farm to advance past this grind puts a nail in the coffin server wise.

Imagine twenty to thirty people are starting at the same time waiting for mobs to spawn, 1.10 is already finicky about mobs. Couple this with the frustration of building a mob farm without the benefit of slabs. You are stuck with solid blocks, yes you can shit right click them to pull pieces off, but this requires entirely more time and planning then I was willing to do as a tester, players might stick with it. This leaves you with a dark room to spawn mobs, going back to odd mob spawning I can foresee this as a road block before the pack even starts.

I also largely feel lost without a guide giving me some idea what my goals should be, the current one seems be a bit of a mish mash of a wiki for the items within and a very basic guide to the islands.

Then there is the GOG island, which is not even mentioned in the guide, other than making cobblestone I have no idea what the goal is.

2. TheEmosewaPixel

TheEmosewaPixel Member

Local Time:
    3:13 AM
    Ok, wyndman it's supposed to be grindy at the start and get easier towards the end. The process of getting a tree should take about 2 Minecraft day cycles which is around 40min. Now I get it, some may find it less interesting than others, but that's simlly how the pack works. When first testing the island it was pretty fun for me and by the looks of it, for about 400 other people as well. If you don't like this you surely won't like what I'm working on. ☺

3. The_Icy_One

The_Icy_One Procrastinates by doing work

Local Time:
    2:13 AM
    40 minutes for a tree seems way too much of an initial time investment for the majority of players.

4. TheEmosewaPixel

TheEmosewaPixel Member

Local Time:
    Well there are 2 islands where you start with a tree so you can choose which route to take.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  5. Tokoshoran

Tokoshoran Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    6:13 PM
    Agreed. Fishing I'm fine with, as I kind of enjoy it, but the snow island just sounds like a pain.

6. Delerium76

Delerium76 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:13 PM
    what do you mean by that? I was able to craft and use slabs just fine. what changed in 1.10 with slabs?

7. wyndman

wyndman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:13 PM
    Your only option on the snow island is.. well snow so you have snow blocks to work with. No snow slabs etc.

8. TheEmosewaPixel

TheEmosewaPixel Member

Local Time:
    Actually what I do to save time and space is I build a long bridge (at least 25 block long) and during the second night mobs just spawn on it. :p I usually enclose my snowman then so that he doesn't push them off or die (as that has happened)[DOUBLEPOST=1492295393][/DOUBLEPOST]Yet you could say the same about the Sand island as until you finish Stage 1 you can't get Sandstone Slabs

9. Delerium76

Delerium76 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:13 PM
    but you shouldn't need a mob farm, and thus, need slabs until you get wood, at which point you can make wood slabs, right? I never needed to "secure" an island from mob spawning until I got that tree, because I rarely build one big enough to be far enough away from a dark area for mobs to spawn.

10. alfiealfie

alfiealfie Taste the flames

Local Time:
    1:13 PM
    "40 minutes too much initial investment", takes me back to that time i spent 2+ hours trying to make a bucket in infinity hardcore