1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decided Against Add Applied Energistics 2 to Civilization (please read before commenting!)

Discussion in 'Archive (Suggestion and Feedback)' started by mrminesheeps, Apr 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matryoshika

Matryoshika Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    12:49 AM
    Mmh, personally, I believe the exact same thing. I much prefer other modded storage/automation setups, and aside from the mentioned LP/PR pipes systems, there are actually 2 more mass-storage systems in Civ last I checked (bar EZstorage), though they are both magic-oriented. Botania has the Corporea System which everyone seems to forget about, which has some incredible possibilities, and Automagy has the Requisition Tome, which does require a lot of researches and intricate setups, but allows for almost all of AE's perks, but fueled by golems instead.

The only major thing about AE that I believe caused it's fame, is the actual storage-method. Instant insert/removal, and if full, just add another cell in the drive next to you. All other systems require some more involvement (eg get a chest, connect the pipes, add the modules, double-check its connected etc).

johnfg10 and profrags like this.
  2. rootbeeralaska

rootbeeralaska Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:49 PM
    My problem with AE is its Suuuper easy (don't get me wrong I'm just as guilty for using AE) but we really need to find a way to FORCE people to use these OLD but amazing mods

3. mrminesheeps

mrminesheeps Helper

Local Time:
    3:49 PM
    it's a thing i learned from a certain show. "many people are bent on moving into the future, but some cannot let go of the past" i say logistics pipes has it's uses in other ideas. you can use it as a replacement over bc pipes (trust me i HATE buildcraft pipes, but at the same time, they can be more convenient :p) or as some advanced way to sort things into something like an automated ore processing system. it's such aa controversy. things like the storage system from botania, as far as i know the system is as old as the mod itself. i've known AE since my days in 1.4.7 , it's just been a staple of mine. when it was redone i almost gave up on applied energistics, but when i got really sick of chests, i learned how to work it. i eventually learned about the new AE, one step and a couple slips at a time. to put it simply, we should look into the future. use the new mods, use the mods that have survived the roughs of time, such as Buildcraft, and AE. give new mods a chance. i just can't stand the idea of bulky storage systems, it's a thing many had no choice in the matter of. before learning of AE, all i ever used was a bunch of labeled chests. to put simply, use mods like project red for what pipes are normally used for. sorting, transferring, and collection. to make a project red system is like putting a new paint job on a 1950's vehicle in our current age. all you're doing is looking at a pipe system that made an already bulky system even bulkier and more complex. go with the future. the past will only tell of the mistakes and failure's and truths and lost history. the future is what we have yet to see.

4. johnfg10

johnfg10 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:49 PM
    but mine and krhys idea behind civ is trying to use less popular mods(aka ez storage) and basicly ae is a automated lag machine

5. mrminesheeps

mrminesheeps Helper

Local Time:
    all due respect to you, khry, and your guys' pack. civilization is a great pack, but wasn't the idea of using more unknown mods the point of galactic science? in my eyes it seems like idea thievery, but then again, welcome to the internet.

6. johnfg10

Local Time:
    but every pack has ae and dont u get bored of using the same system everytime? ik i do we got ezstorage which is pretty good and less used

7. profrags

profrags Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Get bored of AE2? Never, I live to kill servers with never ending auto crafting and damaged tools and armor in my me system!

8. johnfg10

Local Time:
    ^ perfect that is why we dont have ae :p u like the tps right? well no ae :p

9. rootbeeralaska

Local Time:
    Just to point out the thing of auto ore processing... LP is basically AE but it takes time to transfer the items all you need to do it setup a pipe connected to your furnace of choice and have a crafting card constantly supply it with all the ores...

profrags likes this.
  10. johnfg10

Local Time:
    the issue is that unless im wrong it still needs buildcraft

11. Matryoshika

Local Time:
    Yes, it is an addon, and is built upon (and extends) the BuildCraft pipe-logic. This does mean that it needs BuildCraft, or at least a (static) version of the BC-API.

12. johnfg10

Local Time:
    well bc pipes are just lag machines :p so nope to logistics pipes

13. rootbeeralaska

Local Time:
    The thing is that the LP pipes don't have that BC pipes over flowing crap[DOUBLEPOST=1461338170][/DOUBLEPOST]They're a better version of Project Red Transportation

14. Matryoshika

Local Time:
    Almost each and every mod can be called "lag-machine". Even the most optimized block can lag out a server, if placed juuuuust right.

You could add both, and disable the bc-pipes themselves. Oh, and just to clarify, the only major issue I know that BC suffers from, is that it renders the items inside the pipes badly. Had they enforced opaque pipes or used a better rendering method, BC pipes would likely be classified as one of the best pipe-systems.

15. rootbeeralaska

Local Time:
    LP doesn't render the items in the pipes it "displays" them

16. johnfg10

Local Time:
    i was more thinking about the whole oh theres no space in this chest lets dump it on the floor

17. rootbeeralaska

Local Time:
    No it will go back were it came from also when it wants to supply something say your supplying s chest with only 64 beef wellingtons and you take 3 out it will ONLY send 3 to fill the stack, it won't send anymore than that[DOUBLEPOST=1461339096][/DOUBLEPOST]Logistics are known for being smart :p

18. johnfg10

Local Time:
    ye true

19. aD0UBLEj

aD0UBLEj Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    You can get this functionality with thermal dynamics retrievers if I remember correctly.

johnfg10 likes this.
  20. rootbeeralaska

Local Time:
    I highly recommend adding LP pipes it's far superior to PR transportation[DOUBLEPOST=1461342144][/DOUBLEPOST]And forcing people to learn it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.