1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Banned word 'Gay'"

Discussion in 'Archive (Suggestion and Feedback)' started by LordFungi, Mar 13, 2015.

1. LordFungi

LordFungi Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    1:23 AM
    See, I didn't really think was a swear word for the past 15 years (I'm 18) I've understood English, and I don't see why its use is banned in chat. The definition of "gay" for the past few centuries up until the mid 19'th century was "Joyous, happy." Then its use was to describe homosexuals, which by now in our modern day doesn't mean much and is rarely used as an insult, and is no longer even considered inappropriate. What I'm asking here is to remove this word from the long list of no-no's, if that's not too much to ask. Personally I was rather irked that this was even a banned word to begin with. I'm gay, I wouldn't describe myself any other way since a big word like "homosexual" doesn't fit into any normal conversation by my standards.

2. SilentBane

SilentBane Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:23 AM
    I completely agree with you that the word gay in and of itself is not a bad term. The problem is that people aren't as well educated as you and I and use it in a derogatory manner. We are probably going to leave it banned for now and I definitely appreciate your feedback but until the rest of the world starts to use that term in only a positive sense I think it is best that we don't leave it to chance because I would hate for great players such as yourself to be ran off by uneducated individuals.

Mijikai, The_Icy_One and _Cilo_ like this.
  3. Lawmonark

Lawmonark Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:23 AM
    I wonder what people think when they hear the Flintstones theme, i remember it as a kid... sad what society has come to.... Pay attention to the ending

JacaRoe likes this.
  4. SirWill

SirWill Founder

Local Time:
    10:23 AM
    The most players use the word to offend other players and the word is not really needed in the minecraft chat, so I don't see a big reason to allow the word. On B-Team you can even find the word out of blocks next to buildings which got built to offend the owner of the building.

5. JacaRoe

JacaRoe Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:23 AM
    I do understand your point. However, I will echo what was already said here by saying that if words such as, "gay, noob, suck" have to be banned to prevent ignorant people from using them in a derogatory manner, so be it. IMO there's much more use for the word "suck" in common game use (verbiage which describes materials and their relationship to machinery) than any other, and that is banned too.

I've seen other servers that have rules such as not discussing age, gender or location in game chat because it doesn't have a place in the general game. If you want to have a mutual discussion with someone about your private lives, you're more than welcome to do so via /msg or in teamspeak, and similar non-profane words will not be regulated there.

The point being, general chat exists for the purpose of the game-play, and at not one point does the age of someone, their gender or their sexual orientation enter into that.

Thank you though, for bringing your concern here, and being open and honest about your reasoning. That is much appreciated.[DOUBLEPOST=1426261693,1426261363][/DOUBLEPOST]
    What? While I can only speak for the U.S. the fact that women can vote now, and are (more or less) welcome to a workforce outside the home is a huge bit of progress from the Flintsones of the 50s and 60s. ;)

I'll agree there are some things that we've tossed to the dogs (family values, among them), but there's a few other social bars we've managed to set pretty high. I'm proud to be living in an era that can claim that.

chugga_fan and tonalom like this.
  6. vernrileyalt

vernrileyalt New Member

Local Time:
    4:23 AM
    Topics like Religion, Sexual orientation, etc, Shouldn't even be in a minecraft chat, they're controversial and have no place for the chat.

Just keep the word banned, as stated above it's usually used as an insult in the chat.

chugga_fan likes this.
  7. Demonica6666

Demonica6666 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:23 AM
    I am all the time getting on to my boy about the word "gay". These kids use it to refer to everything, at least it feels that way. I did laugh though. After explaining the gay meant to be happy, I heard another child call him gay. His response...Yes, I am happy. thank you. Then he told the kid to look up the word and learn something. HAHA. Many insult words are, in reality, basic words meaning everyday things, just perverted to be insults. I hate the idea of a word being banned, but have seen kids on servers use them to be mean to other kids who do not understand. It is like cuss/curse words also have normal definitions and are truly only cuss/curse words when used to hurt others. A sad fact of life.

AlexisRoger and JacaRoe like this.
  8. AlexisRoger

AlexisRoger Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:23 AM
    That's true. Back when I was in Uni, one of my friends used the word in the sense "that film was gay" as a negative qualifier. One of our friends was that way inclined, and felt very offended. Keep it banned. That way, like my first friend, he'll learn to use another word to mean bad/rubbish/anoying like um... bad, rubbish, or anoying and become more politicly correct, and not get into trouble/prison/bankrupt after a lawsuit for breakng numberous equality and harrasment laws later in life.

Demonica6666 likes this.