1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implemented Changing a few words in the filter

Discussion in 'Archive (Suggestion and Feedback)' started by LordFungi, May 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordFungi

LordFungi Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    9:38 AM
    I would really like to express my dislike of some of the words that are filtered, and one that isn't. Before I begin I would like to add that I have tried to have two of these removed before in a post from a year ago. Hopefully things have changed since then.

First, the two words that I mentioned. Gay and queer. These have long since been used as insults in the past few years, and those that still use them as such are immature people who don't know better. I haven't seen a single person on MYM try to call someone either of these in the last year since i started coming to MYM regularly. And it would be nice for someone to refer to themselves with those words if they chose.

Second would be "Hard on". I know it can be used as a lewd phrase, but I've only seen people try to use it as "I worked hard on this," or "You must have really worked hard on it." Those two examples sound the same because that is the only time they are probably ever used. It's just strange for those two words to be censored.

Third would be to ban a word, as it does get past the filter a lot. "Suck" is on the filter, but people use "Sucks", and it gets by the filter all the time.

2. chugga_fan

chugga_fan ME 4M storage cell of knowledge, all the time

Local Time:
    12:38 PM
    Discrimination....? | MineYourMind Community
    Also, i somewhat agree, let's remove "suck" and Hell from the filter, because their not really swear words and no one cares about it much, but read these on Gay and Queer, read the whole thing, please, talked about often enough without people reading the decisions from 3 weeks ago

3. profrags

profrags Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I agree with removing hell and... Suck? I never even new that was filtered! If someone does use it inappropriately or targeted at someone then they should be reported. These two words aren't really very offensive anyway, I use the word suck a lot of the time when I die and loose everything to express that I am somewhat mad and salty. Hell... Well hell is a dimension in minecraft, I usually ask my partners if they wanna go to hell with me to get some cobalt and ardite so we can make our basic temporary tools. Well I see how people would think of hell as an insult instead of a different way of saying nether. Ofc you can't ask someone like a fish (Adrian) to go to hell because it's too hot and would end up being cooked and served for dinner! Maybe hell is better off staying filtered, people might get the wrong idea and report the other player :p

4. DrummerBoyNo

DrummerBoyNo Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:38 AM
    this is supposed to be a family friendly community and hell and suck are words that are considered inappropriate and that they should not be removed.

5. AceOfBases

AceOfBases CDO: OCD alphabetized as it ought to be.

Local Time:
    Yeah, I don't see a compelling reason why they need to be removed. They serve very little purpose in mature discourse.

6. Arcanuo

Arcanuo Old School Poster

Local Time:
    I'm taking a bit of a new approach on this. If you filter every inappropriate word, and possible context. If you filter sucks for the possible sexual reference, you might as well filter the whole language, and make speaking not English a permanent ban while we're throwing the high handed strikes.

I still support the idea of a chat filter, and most of the words should be filtered, but I feel we are a community of nitpickers. The network speeds/servers are superb, so we can't complain about that. Support is great. So we pick on the small weak area, a chat filter. It's a chat filter not a domestic rights and responsibilities charter. I don't fully like all the words on the filter, but 3+ threads on this?

7. SirStudMuffin

SirStudMuffin Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:38 PM
    We found that words like hell and suck where banned words but things like Dildo arent so idk
    Also we are in 2016, words like Gay, Bisexual and lesbian shouldnt be banned otherwise many would see it as anti LGBT. I understand that it could be used as an offensive means but it just in my opinion makes us look 1990 not 2016, the whole hell thing makes us look 1100's rather than 2016 so i just say revise it and look at it and think are these words really that bad, even with children on the server.

8. F4lconwings

F4lconwings Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    6:38 PM
    Always have to look at the whole sentence.
    Would you say that "gay" and "queer" aren't familyfriendly as well? This whole filtering thing is, i know, for preventing swearing, but as "swearing is forbidden" is part of the rules as well the filter could probably be removed and swearing could be punished as any other breaking of the rules.
    Just my opinion.

9. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    It is, but we don't have a 24/7 staff presence on all servers.

10. F4lconwings

Local Time:
    Of course. Just an idea ;)

11. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    For your information, we use one of many lists found on the internet, so those words are not hand picked. So far we have not modified, as far as I know. If we do, it would probably be good if someone goes through the entire list, I believe its a few thousand.

12. F4lconwings

Local Time:
    I have a bit of free time the following week, i could have a look through if you send me the list.

13. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
  14. SirStudMuffin

SirStudMuffin Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Question is why isnt the list open for public viewing?

Brandonmeens likes this.
  15. F4lconwings

Local Time:
    If they took it from the internet it is open for public viewing, we just do not know which list it is.

16. aD0UBLEj

aD0UBLEj Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Just as an FYI if you are considering adding words, there are several that absolutely SHOULD be added as they bypass the filter. Obviously I won't say which ones here, but if words are being added these need to be.

17. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    no problem with saying them here.

18. F4lconwings

Local Time:
    (If i get to change the list) you could post some of them.

19. tyler489

tyler489 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:38 AM
    I would like a copy as well

20. chugga_fan

chugga_fan ME 4M storage cell of knowledge, all the time

Local Time:
    "Hell" isn't inappropriate, what the hell do you think you're saying? seriously an example like that is like that, or how much does that suck? as a question to someone else, seriously some of the filtered words on the server are REALLY not that bad, and some of the unfiltered words.... welll let's just say adults only (I've seen em' used in chat before without a problem EXCEPT from the mods) also, slind can i get a copy to look over and make my suggestions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.