1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CraftMine pack - would you play it?

Discussion in 'Community Talk' started by Paint_Ninja, Jan 11, 2016.

1. chugga_fan

chugga_fan ME 4M storage cell of knowledge, all the time

Local Time:
    11:27 PM
    How does it work prior to game launch, wouldn't that do the exact same thing as, you know, the MYM launcher, just the MYM launcher works for more than 1 pack?

2. BookerTheGeek

BookerTheGeek Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    10:27 PM
    Looking forward to the next update with more content. Please page me when released.

3. SirStudMuffin

SirStudMuffin Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:27 AM
    Chugga your saltyness is showing again

4. Paint_Ninja

Paint_Ninja New Member

Local Time:
    While it is possible to just make your own pack and push that to the launcher, it would require you to rebrand it and build it from scratch, as well as requiring you to re-obtain all of the permissions for all of the mods in CraftMine just so that the pack will be legal. Additionally, you won't be able to add any of CM's exclusive content.

Suddenly for those who were unaware of this, it sounds like a fantastic idea as it allows server owners to use CraftMine as their base and provide more heavily customised, unique experiences with ease - no modpack creation knowledge required (you can theoretically create custom blocks, items, etc... with just some simple YAML/JSON server-side and a server provided resource pack).

And before you ask how basing a pack on an existing one allows for heavier customisation and uniqueness - remember that CraftMine offers a lot of exclusive features you simply won't be able to get anywhere else or simply won't be viable due to the unplayable performance you might have without CM's optimisations. As of yet there has never been a pack that has came close to CraftMine's immersion, backend functionality (e.g. full forwards- and backwards- compatibility between pack updates and editions) and overhauled Vanilla gameplay mechanics, and doing so would take months and require a team of skilled professionals (in sound design, shaderpack authoring, actual mod coding and more). Also, CMv4 has been intensely tested and is pretty stable overall, saving server owners the hassle of testing the stability of their pack as if they base it on CM using Spoucy, they only have to test the stability of the new content they add - not the 100+ mods already in CM as well.

5. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    So connecting to the server that you want, then downloading the mods that they have? That requires a reload of forge.... I'd like to see the source and get an understanding if you please

6. Paint_Ninja

Paint_Ninja New Member

Local Time:
    For prefetching you specify the IP you want to connect to before you launch the pack, hence skipping the need for a reload of Forge. To put it simply, Spoucy Prefetching works like this:

Launcher -> Spoucy Server Synchronisation module -> Game launches with arg specifying the server to connect to once sync is complete -> Player joins the server automatically

The Spoucy Server Synchronisation module is installed both client-side and server-side. The client-side sync will make sure all the mods match the server-side mods and configs folders. If not, it will delete, replace and add mods from the server as necessary. The server owner can specify whether people are allowed to join with additional mods not on the server (e.g. a different minimap mod for example) or not. The player can also change a config option on the client to ignore certain mods the server provides and also to ignore mod deletion requests from the server.

Once synchronisation is complete the sync module launches the game and automatically chooses the correct version of Java and RAM allocation, skipping the need to manually ask users to set their launcher to launch CM with a specific version of Java and RAM amount on launchers that don't automate this process (e.g. while the Technic Launcher does automate this, FTB doesn't afaik). When launching the game it includes an argument specifying the IP address of the server it just synced with so it can skip the main menu and go straight to joining the server. If the person wants to play single player or a non-Spoucy-Prefetch server, they can click "Play CraftMine" or "Play singleplayer" or whatever in the sync main menu and it'll launch normal CraftMine and take the player to the main menu of the game.

7. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    sooooooo spoucy is just a launcher that connects to a server, grabs their mods, then logs into that server? Aka a launcher like FTB or a custom launcher (Mym-launcher is an open source launcher, not necessarily only MyM's), or MultiMc, I really don't see too much of a difference...

8. Paint_Ninja

Paint_Ninja New Member

Local Time:
    Yesterday night I think (might of been the day before, don't remember), I released the second beta build of CMv4.2 to the "Latest" channel of the Technic Launcher. It adds a small amount of new content from various mods and a lot of new aesthetic content and props. Additionally, the new beta build further improves performance over CMv4.1 by around 10-30 more FPS with some further optimisation techniques.

In further CMv4.2 builds I will gradually be adding more content. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1469204335][/DOUBLEPOST]
    The difference is that you don't make a modpack from scratch and the whole process is automated. Tell me a launcher where I can enter an IP of an existing modpack's server (e.g. a Blightfall server) and when I join it also provides me with that's server's additional mods and content - without having to launch a separate modpack. I've already explained this in more detail in previous replies to your queries and in other comments about Spoucy.

9. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    Interesting, although I would still perfer to not do this as a launcher would allow you to have more than 1 modpack, etc. etc, same download times, and you don't need to be connected to the internet later to just play another pack, then play the pack you were originally playing

10. Paint_Ninja

Paint_Ninja New Member

Local Time:
    As I said, Spoucy is a feature for CraftMine server owners who want to provide even more unique experiences and custom content without needing to make a new modpack from scratch and deal with the hassle of managing it, testing it, loosing out on CM exclusives, etc...

You can play offline as much as you like as the standard original CM is still kept as a backup. You just launch CM and click play without specifying a server or click a "play singleplayer" button or whatever. All different CM Spoucy server content could be cached locally for a set amount of recent servers or days, to avoid re-downloading stuff as much as possible.

11. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    I feel like you made a launcher moreso than a minecraft mod for this, except most launchers allow for different versions of packs and etc. should be moderately interesting nonetheless

12. Paint_Ninja

Paint_Ninja New Member

Local Time:
    If you wanna understand it better I recommend you re-read over my previous comments about Spoucy. There's a lot more to it than just the prefetch module and it's not just a sub-launcher. ;)

13. ScarletHamster12

ScarletHamster12 Tainted Wolf Patron Tier 3 Booster

Local Time:
    I would Play It looks Like a Fun pack

Paint_Ninja likes this.
  14. SirStudMuffin

SirStudMuffin Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Chuggas being salty dont worry about him, id love this but the problem is that it doesnt seem likely now

15. JessTheGreat

JessTheGreat Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:27 PM
    I don't know...there's only a handful of these mods that I've heard of before, which could be a good thing in terms of interest, but I'm REALLY picky about what I download/use on my computer so that would be a lot of research for me before I would even consider it and as I already play on infinity I don't know that it would be worth the effort.

16. johnfg10

johnfg10 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    You know spoucy sounds amazing but and its a big but what about maleware? How do I know that a sever isn't installing viruses ect on my computer now I know mym wouldn't but I'm sure someone will have u thought about this?

17. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    I already asked this, I don't know either :(

18. johnfg10

Local Time:
    Oh I see what you claiming because it doesn't have admin rights it can do no harm? Well I can think of many ways that that could be exploited, for example it simply downloads the maleware from another site that simple. then the maleware gets to work and you don't have a computer much longer.

ContinuedAsh likes this.
  19. Paint_Ninja

Paint_Ninja New Member

Local Time:
    If it really was that dangerous and insecure I wouldn't of even announced me working on prototypes and definitely wouldn't release it to the public. All transfers from server to client are done securely and verified with checksums to prevent man-in-the-middle attacks. And we're talking about mods here not damn unsigned drivers from a dodgy website, even if it does download an additional file who cares it's going to end up in a sandboxed environment anyway and can't do any harm. Name me one recent malware you are aware of that has spread through the use of a Minecraft mod jar that doesn't require admin permissions on your PC, or any malware that doesn't require admin permissions for that matter.

I'm really getting tired of everyone's negativity over such a small thing. There's loads of launchers out there and hundreds of thousands of players who download random packs off of the Technic Platform that are completely unmoderated and nobody has ever reported a malware infection from a Java-based game mod, not forgetting that the entire of the Technic Platform is unsecured with HTTP (no TLS or HTTPS at all) and no encryption... Hell, even the login page on the Technic Platform has unmoderated adverts on it.

Sandstroem likes this.
  20. johnfg10

Local Time:
    Believe it or not I'm not being negative if u have some sort of virus checking system I would be far more positive let's say theoretically a server decided to do some questionable stuff what stops them? I'm seating a response I will accept I understand you thinking but as far as ik you don't need admin perms to make/download a file please correct me if I'm wrong on that but if a mod can download a file that file could be a virus please am I incorrect? And the reason we are "negative" is because the internet is a dangerous place in mym wouldn't do this but I'm sure some server will use this for bad stuff