1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D.I.E tip

Discussion in 'Tutorials, Tips and Tricks' started by Demonica6666, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Demonica6666

Demonica6666 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:06 AM
    If you find that you are not in a home at dusk, swim into the ocean and bob til morning. If you log out at dusk, when you log back in you will die as the mobs will have tracked your log out spot.

Do not use thatch for building. You and the mobs can go right through it.

Fruit trees... use an axe on the branches, not the tree itself. You can get a sapling, plant it and then in winter cut the 4 branches and usually get at least 2 saplings more.

If you suddenly get hit by lightning or go flying high into the air, it is not a glitch. It is an infernal mob. Yes, a mob. You probably will not see it, but it saw you.

Hide your base! Not only from other players, but also to protect it from falling meteors. If you do not bury it, you will come on to no home due to a meteor burning it down.

Dying. If you are roaming, keep F3 on. Then when you die, you can mark the cords and eventually find your way back.

If you see Blood Moon Rising...RUN and HIDE. If not, you are dead. If you are in the ocean, swim far far out!

Trees...Please note, cutting trees with massive canopies/leaves will crash you. Too many leaves decaying all at the same time.

Mining_Canadian and JacaRoe like this.
  2. chugga_fan

chugga_fan ME 4M storage cell of knowledge, all the time

Local Time:
    9:06 AM
    if there's obsidion always build bases out of it and lava, mmmm lava

Demonica6666 likes this.
  3. Demonica6666

Local Time:
    Ok. New to DIE? Well 1st Death Is Expected means get ready to die, a lot. Even those of us who have bases and been there a while still DIE a lot.

What? You just went flying 50 blocks in the Air? Hit by lightning? Webbed? No mobs are there? Really? I hate to tell you this, but, there is actually a mob there, somewhere. Some are invisible, some are underground and some hide in leaves. They Are Watching You! Those would be some of the harder frustrating Infernals. RUN! Jump in water! Cause you gonna DIE! Really, you are going to die.

When you 1st get on, you are at Spawn. If it is night, do not leave yet! Night starts at about 18 and end between 5 - 6. Oh, you do not know how to tell the time! Sorry. Open your inventory, on the right are several tabs. Your inventory, your skill levels, the time/day of year/season, your food levels. Just click on the time. Do not worry about All food values. It will take a long time until you get dairy.

Ok, it is just after 5am and the fog has rolled out, run around picking up stones and sticks off of the ground. Or you can get sticks from breaking leaves (along with saplings). What to do now! You tried to punch a tree! Well, that does not work here! Open your inventory, key in axe and look for stone axe head, right click on it and it will show you how to knap one from your stones. You MUST have a minimum of 2 stones to knap (clay requires 5). Now, knap that axe head and put it on 1 stick = stone axe. You do the same for all basic stone tools. And no, no pickaxe yet.

Now start chopping trees like crazy! Make sure you know where the ocean is at all times (until you make a Real base) cause when it starts to turn dark/dusk, if you do not have a log hut made (at least 3 x 3 to prevent mobs hitting you through the wall) you will run to the ocean, swim out a little ways and bob til morning. You probably will not have a home built in time, seriously. In this pack it takes a while to chop, mine, cook, etc.

Do not pick too much food or kill lots of animals, the food will rot before you use it. You can compress all food to 160 ounces by putting it in your craft grid together. If you have a knife in your inventory, put food in craft grid, remove it from far right side = decay trimmed off. The more decay the faster it rots.[DOUBLEPOST=1425659567,1425658685][/DOUBLEPOST]Get all the stones and sticks that you can. Look for ores laying on the ground and get those too. Go to ocean and gather seaweed and compress it. Then find a good spot for a home/base. Remember meteors will fall (and crush your home or burn it) So do not try to make an epic above ground home yet. If you are smart, make your place a decent length with an exit on both ends. If you hang out at one end you can run out of the other at dawn. But, oh wise kitty kat, what do I do for a door? A log pile. How do I make that!? Shift right click a log on the ground = log pile. Click it with an empty hand. You can have 4 stacks of 4 logs in it. 4 ash, 12 hickory, whatever combo so long as you have 4 of one kind in each section. It does not have to be full unless you want to place something on top of it.

Ok. You found a cliff side, started placing log piles for your walls with a gap for a log pile door. What about the roof? Well, you are out of luck. ALL blocks fall!!!! ALL!!! You may get squished. So, the cliff was not a good spot! Find some trees and build it between them with leaves covering the top. If you can.

Now, add gathering clay to your list. Those funny yellow flowers that are all over indicate clay under them. Use you stone shovel and get as much as you can. Take your stone knife and cut grass to get the straw you need to cook the clay. Remember the NEI. look up axe clay head and other tools of clay and see how to knap those. 4 clay items will fit in 1 hole (except large vessels = 1 to a hole) You knapped your items, now go dig a 1 deep hole (away from all flammable items), Shift right click items in each corner floor of the hole. Hold your straw and right click it on top (while pointing at the bottom) (takes 8), then do the same with logs (8). Now use your firestarter. Oh, sorry. 2 sticks at a diagonal in your craft grid. You hold right click until you see flames. Now you must wait for it to go out to remove your items. When just starting, concentrate on making jugs (for water) and vessels (as a 4 slot chest).[DOUBLEPOST=1425660237][/DOUBLEPOST]Ok, next... You need to drink and eat meat. Mmmmmm, meat. Fresh water is water that has reeds in it. Right click an empty hand toward bottom of it and you drink. Really slowly. If you have a jug, click the jug on the water and gulp it down. All meat must be cooked to eat them, it will also slow down decay (on vegetables and fruit too). Many fruits and veggies can be cooked.

Throw down 3 sticks in the same block area and right click hold your firestarter til a cooking spot appears. Right click it and add a log or 4. Put your food in the top and WATCH it. Food will overcook and disappear. Mouse over it to see how it is cooking. You have a chunk of meat that weighs 160 ounces and want to put it in your vessel to keep it fresher longer, but it won't go? In your craft grid place a knife and the meat, remove the meat to your right (it will weigh about 80 ounces [still too big]) Remove the meat left in your craft grid. you now have 2 - 80 oz meats. Cut each in half again and now the smaller meat will fit in your vessel.

You need a torch? Oh. Place a stick in your cooking fire at the top, you will get 2 torches. Keep 1 lit torch on you because when the placed torches go out you just click them with your lit one to relight them.

After you find enough ore on the ground to melt (100 units = 1 tool head), you place it in a vessel and into the pit kiln again to melt. Make sure you already have cooked enough clay tool head molds to fill. I always make 1-2 saws, then a mace and other tools. Use copper for your 1st tools. Later, when you sphalerite and bismuth, you can make bismuth bronze items. In NEI, you can check the number of ores and types to make it. (50 copper, 30 sphalerite, 20 bismuth)[DOUBLEPOST=1425745972][/DOUBLEPOST]Next....Building.
    Supports, supports, supports. Did I say Supports?
    Everything falls, Everything. Yes, there is a strange new force at work here. I think I shall call it gravity as it is very grave when you get squished. Especially if you get squished at night.
    If you have made the all important "saw", you are ready to try to build. Do not build above ground if you can help it. Remember those pesky meteors. Bad for buildings that are exposed. Cut yourself a lot of trees, being sure to break the leaves 1st for saplings and sticks. Now, in your craft grid place the saw top left, a log top right and a log bottom right = supports. These can be used vertically 1st (|) then connect 2 vertical supports horizontally (---). It will usually auto place 3 high, just jump to place higher (or use a 2nd set of supports to lift you up and break slowly to go down). You cannot place a horizontal on only a 1 or 2 high support. It must be 3+.
    Dig an area in 1 spot 4 deep, place a vertical, count 4 empty spaces and on the 5th dig 4 deep and place another, then the vertical across the top. Always mine from the top down to help reduce cave ins and stand up against a support while mining. Remember, these are just guidelines not the rules. Everyone has a different method. I have found the by standing against a support, then mining top down for 5 spaces has worked out well for me. I get an occasional cave in, usually in the last 1-2 blocks. Do not start mining out between the supports until you have at least 3 sections built (looks kinda like a U shape). I don't clear any out until I have the square completed around it. Place torches or glowstone as you go to prevent unwanted friends from dropping in on you! You can place verticals as high as you want, but keep in mind that the higher you go, the weaker they are. We have an area that is about 15 high. I got cute and placed verticals at the 13 mark as well as the top.

For steps (pre - chisel/hammer). If you are mining down, I cut steps, notch out to either side 4 deep and place supports. Then dig out 2 -3 more sets of steps down and repeat the supports. Later, you can make then real stairs.

Make sure your doorways are "supported" or you will squish your doors. When I make rooms with a 1 deep wall between them, I tend to let my OCD take over. What do you mean, Kitty? Well, I line up all supports in the new area with those in the old area. I then mine out the 1 block separating the tops and add a vertical there too.

That's a lot of supports isn't it? I will use up my saw soo fast and need soo much wood! Yep. That is why I said to make lots of tools. Mining in 1 area anywhere near your base? Woops, cave in! Go to base to get some food and What!? Why are the supports in here on the ground? How did that happen?

Guess what. The cave in over there actually effected this area too. But, you had it "supported" all over and only a few supports fell down. No cave in. Or, if there was a cave in, it was minimal. Shrug, throw those supports back up and heave a sigh of relief that you used soo many. I have had supports come down from meteors hitting above us.

Supports are love, supports are life.[DOUBLEPOST=1425746935][/DOUBLEPOST]Roofs. Support again. Do not use thatch. Everything walks through thatch and it sure won't stop that Infernal from sending you flying.

When you can look up Camo Paste. Play with it. It is easy to make and can hide you doors and such.

Plants

Inside your underground base you can grow ....... fruit trees. Just fruit trees. Plant them, you will need them. Place bushes all over too (outside). The blackberry and raspberry will injure you. and all mobs. all mobs. Getting it. Use the prickly bushes as alarms and to damage the enemy. Go crazy. Make a prickly escape maze. Experiment.

Different bushes mature at different times. So do the fruit trees and crops. Plant crops as soon as you can and keep an eye on them. If you come on and seeds are on the ground, grab them, check the season. Put them away until Spring. You will find crops all over the world. Do not try to fill your inventory with them. Remember, decay. If you place them in a vessel, they keep longer. If you cook them, they last even longer. If it is meat and you salt it, it helps. When you can make barrels. Keep some for fresh water and some for salt water.

What!? I cannot drink salt water. True, but you can drink cider, use vinegar, drink alcohol. Get a barrel of salt water (10,000) use a wood bucket and remove 1 buckets worth (1,000). Add 40 ounces of apples (4 oz per 1,000) to a barrel of fresh water (9,000) = 10,000 cider. take 80 oz of fruit and add to the cider = vinegar. Vinegar preserves food. Get that pig meat, mmmmm meat, salt it, throw it in the vinegar and seal it. Ta Da. Preserved meat. Very, very slow decay. You can do the following for the best preservation = meat, salt it, brine it, vinegar it.

Always keep at least 1 knife on you. The moment you log in, run to food and start trimming decay. If you don't, the food will rapidly rot away as you watch. Unless it is in vinegar, then it rots a little. Regular large vessels and barrels Do Not preserve food. Only the regular vessels and vinegar barrels help there. You can set it up so you have, say, 5 vinegar barrels for meat, 5 for fruit, 5 for veggies.[DOUBLEPOST=1425753023][/DOUBLEPOST]Many crops will look ripe, but they may not be. It's okay, at least you get seeds. Grains tend to ripen a lot later that everything else and Jute still later. You can till with a stone hoe, but you won't know when your crop is ripe. Make at least 1 ore based hoe to check ripeness and what minerals are in the soil. There are 3 minerals needed to grow crops. Mouse over your seeds and it will tell you what kind it needs. Then press "M" over the tilled soil to see if it has what that crop needs.

You will need to rotate your crops. "Facepalm". No, not try to turn them. "Sigh". Separate your crops by nutrients needed, then plant each type in 1 area, label it, if you can, by the "A" "B" "C" nutrient it uses. Then, next spring, move the next nutrient crops to there. For instance: You plant all "A" nutrient crops in 1 place, then the "B", then the "C". Next spring, move "B" to old "A". "C" to old "B" and "A" to old "C". Repeat the next year. If you find Sylvite, it can be ground into fertilizer, then you do not have to rotate. Sylvite is rare though, so keep that in mind.

Bonemeal? What...? You mean the stuff used to make camo paste? Crops? Uh. No. Sprinkling bonemeal on the ground does not make things grow. Hmmm...the things people believe, weird.

Ok, you want a fruit tree? You chopped a fruit tree down and got nothing? Well, what do you expect! You killed the tree! Just kidding...no, really, you killed the tree. To get a fruit tree sapling you chop the cross shaped branches on each side. Never the trunk. You should get 1 or 2 saplings from that. The tree will actually regrow out of the sides. When you plant the sapling, do not freak out. That weird thick stick is the tree. Do not chop it or No More Sapling. So, be sure where you want it before you plant it. It technically grows 5 x 5 and 5 high, but it will fit in your support range as it simply will have no corner leaves. I dig a 2 x 2 area in the center of the supports, put dirt and sapling and wait. You got a banana tree, everything else has fruited but it won't? Yeah, it will, usually in Autumn, long after all else. Patience.

Sugar - grows from sugarcane (Not Reeds). Reeds can be used to make paper, Sugarcane makes sugar (well, after you process it). If sugarcane is at least 2 high, you should get a little sugar from it. 3 is best size. You want to turn that funny looking bit to actual sugar? Throw it in a barrel of fresh water, seal and wait. And yes, it will also decay in both forms.

Alcohol. Makes you forget those Infernals camping at your front door. Adding 4 oz of cut grain to a barrel of water = alcohol. The type of grain determines the type of alcohol. Whiskey, corn whisky, vodka, etc.

You need some cloth, well, that is actually what Jute is. Or will become. You put Jute in a barrel of fresh water = jute fibers. You can use a loom to turn that into cloth. Right click it on the loom and click the loom to weave it. Don't make a bed unless you want it for decoration. Server, sleeping, no.

You heard about smoking food? Hahaha. Sorry. Couldn't resist. Yeah, you can smoke food, it just takes a while to get the stuff you need. Sheep, wool, twine. 1st, find sheep, bring them home, feed them cut grain daily until the heart is 1/3 full, breed them (if you are smart), use knife on sheep = ball of wool. Okay. Make a spindle from clay and put it on a stick, cook it in the pit kiln and add a new stick. Use the wool and spindle together in your craft grid = twine. Now get 4 pieces of smooth stone and place a 2 high tower with it and a second one 4 blocks away so you have a gap of 3 empty spaces between them. Make a cook fire in the middle. Now right click with twine on the smooth stone and it will string it from that pillar to the other over the fire. You have the smoker set up, add wood to the cook fire and light it up, hold your meat while you have more twine in your inventory = meat hanging on your smoker. Watch it and check meat occasionally. Experiment and see what all you can smoke.

Animals
    Cows = hides, bones, meat, milk. Deer/pigs = hides, bones, meat Chickens/pheasants = meat, bones, feathers Bears = hides, bones
    Sheep = sheepskin, bones, meat

Use a knife and sheepskin in your craft grid = hide, wool.
    Hides can be turned into leather. You need a barrel of limewater (flux in fresh water), a barrel of freshwater, a barrel of tannin (a birch log in water barrel). Place the hide in the limewater = soaked hide. Place a log on its side, click the hide onto it and use a knife on the hide (you will see the color change as you scrape it), Place the scrapped hide in the fresh water = prepared hide. Finally place it in the tannin for leather.

One animal can fill your inventory with meat sometimes. Mmmmmmm, meat.

Animals do not insta breed here. They actually take quite a while to have babies. You cannot fully tame wild animals, but you can tame babies you have bred. Watch out for any doggies you bring home. They can be very very bad (Unlike cute kitties) and eat your animals before you can react. They can jump fences and hit through them. I found it best to make a room just for them with 2 sets of doors. Once you tame your puppies those will be safe. You can tame with any cut grain or corn and breed with the same (except rice). Fill a barrel up to 9,000 milk, toss in a bucket of vinegar and seal it = curdled milk. Remove that bucket and reseal = cheese (you can add fruit to flavor...go wild).

The best food to eat = sandwiches. Uses grain (bread), cheese, meat/soybean, a veggie and a fruit. You get all your needs met in one bite. However, do not use sandwiches as to go food. They rapidly lose filling value after making. I usually tote a big veggie, fruit or berry when I explore. They last longer. Always take 2 jugs of water if you can. Sooner or later, one will break and they give fast drinking. Unless you like standing all wet and drippy for a long time sipping slowly.[DOUBLEPOST=1425754303][/DOUBLEPOST]Other Basics

My crafting grid is only 4 x 4. How do I enlarge it? 2 words....you don't. Use your saw and make lumber, 4 lumber = planks, 4 planks = craft table. For those that know Tinker's, you will want (very badly) to make a Tinker's craft table. Do not! They have a habit of poofing. Keep it a regular crafting table. Well, shoot.

I need a furnace and this cobble won't work. What am I doing wrong? Nothing. Hehe. You are just dreaming of future advancements. You see, to make a furnace, you need smooth stone (vanilla style). You cannot make smooth stone without a furnace that you need to make the smooth stone for....You get the idea? Dang it, what do I do then? Uh Oh It's Magic........Thaumcraft to be exact. All that base mining should net you some nice gems. Hang onto them. Kimberlite spawns in Gabbro stone and that is where Diamonds are. You may get a diamond of some value as you mine Kimberlite. It is not a 1 to 1 ratio, just a sometimes thing. What is the deal with gems, the TFC Wikki said gems were useless. This ain't just TFC, The Magicians who designed this wonderfully aggravating and satisfying pack...well...some things have been...shall we say... tweeked. Throw away nothing. You may be surprised at what you will actually need. You need these gems for your thaumometerathingy. You can find some harder to obtain items in glowstone meteors, under Greatwood trees with webs on them, etc. All fellow Thaumomages, this is also a little different. You will not find nodes unless you create a Silverwood tree and it has one in it. Keep your wand on your hotbar and it will automatically gain as you fight. You will be working towards an Infernal Furnace. So glorious an item. All hail the furnace.

You also need to work on Equivilent Exchange for vanilla items.

In this pack, you cannot focus on just 1 thing or another. You must try to expand your horizons. This pack is hard. Seriously hard. I hear so many say how quickly they defeat packs, try this one. It means much death, frustration, grinding, learning, but ultimately satisfying. Playing alone has pros and cons. Less to need for 1, but less to be able to get by one. Team work is important here. You need those who can work metals, work machines, do magic, fight, gather, grow, mine, etc. Your food and drink are going down as you try to figure out how to work the pickaxe head, you must stop to eat and drink. Or to go find food and fresh water. You need charcoal for fuel and wood for charcoal, and....well so on and so forth. But wait a moment, one of the others has filled 10 barrels of fresh water and put one by the forge and just tossed a sandwich on you, another has chopped tons of woods and others are working the charcoal pit and still another just brought in more ore and flux.[DOUBLEPOST=1425756356][/DOUBLEPOST]Patience is the name of the game. Do not get frustrated or rage quit. Take a deep breath and go again. Yeah, I know, you didn't listen and went out at night and have died 50 times so far and dawn is still a ways away. Been there, done that. Many times. When the dying stops, grab one of your heads as a trophy and go forth. There is not one person who has played this pack that can say they never died. Gravity causing squishing or the sand to go out from under you over a canyon, Infernals beating you up, Starvation because it is winter, Thirst because you tried to swim a deep ocean, a bear clawed you, a meteor landed on you, a meteor spawned about 6 super creepers 2 blocks away, you were running and jumped only it turns out that was a ravine. It is part of the fun. Maybe you will luck out and find stuff dropped by a dead dead dead player. Stay out of the Jungles, much badness. When you /rt and land somewhere new, do not just start walking because you may be on a cliff or next to lava. Do not expect to get all the basics anytime soon, you must actually gather and make anything useful. And doing anything takes more time than on other packs. You won't clear cut a forest in a day, heck, you won't clear cut in a week. There are no wood tools, stone is the basic and even then some cannot be made of stone.

Look at Tinker's and make your basic pick from it. You can make tools of wood, stone, bone, flint and obsidian. And it will still take a while to mine anything. When you mine, try to do so in a way that gives you smooth stone. You will need it and it helps conserve your pick. I mine the block above, then the blocks on the side and finally the block under it, then it pops off as smooth stone. You find ores laying on the ground, mouse and check the units in each to see how much is needed for alloys and such. 10 is 10%. Say you want a copper pick head, you need 100% or 100 units which is 10 pieces of the small copper. They are 10 units each. You want bismuth bronze, use NEI to see ratios (50 copper, 30 sphalerite, 20 bismuth). You need 5 small copper, 3 small sphalerite and 2 small bismuth. That will make 1 tool head. Remember, some ores have different names/looks but are the same thing (copper, tetrahedrite). The TFC Wiki is your friend (but check NEI recipes cause some are different). You can smelt sand into glass in your cook fire. It is slow. Use Hickory if you can because it gives a higher temp, willow for charcoal. You can use your pit kiln and vessels of ore for copper, bronze, bismuth and broze alloys. All other ores with higher levels are a no go for that and require advancement in anvils and smelting devices. On those, I am no help as I suck with anvils and mess up what I try to make. Luckily, we have Smithers in our group. Practice on a single player world to learn those techniques.[DOUBLEPOST=1425757719][/DOUBLEPOST]I hear those who say, I cannot find ore anywhere. That odd stone is actually ore. Look closely at the stone wall. Notice that there is a slight color difference. Get close and you may find the pinker area is actually ore. There are several ores and minerals that all but blend into whatever stone they are surrounded by. I have rushed by a spot only to later stop and look....and guess what? That ore I was looking for was right there. Jet and a few other are worthless right now, but who knows about the future.

They are great with updating and occasionally throwing in something new to stump us. This is a pack for those who plan on actually spending time playing it. This Kitty is stuck on it. I myself would love to see..."cough cough" Pam's harvestcraft or new plants/trees. That would probably be a major pain to add . "sigh" But it's great. I cannot just rush and gather. I must take my time. If you like to build structures, here is a challenge for you.....material getting, material working, making meteor shields to protect them. But you can use a saw for microblocks or use lumber as tiny 2 x 4s. Farmers.....you gotta find the critters, figure out how to get them home, tame them, breed them. Find your seeds, fertilizer, make your tools, lay down crops and protect them from meteors. Machinists...Gathering, working, building, powering, using....all a major challenge. Explorers....vast deep oceans full of squid and fish, caverns most of us fear to tread, infernals to overcome or bypass, plants you have never seen before and a need to actually drink and eat while you roam.

The vast majority of recipes have been changed, making it more of a challenge to do anything or get anything. Many recipes integrate things from more than 1 mod in the pack preventing you from focusing on that 1 mod. You like mountaintop homes. Muhahaha. Try that here. Wanted an underwater dome, uh no.[DOUBLEPOST=1425758010][/DOUBLEPOST]I personally want to thank the Mods and Owners for this pack and all they are still doing on it. Y'all do a great job with little enough thanks for it.

PS..If you read this and haven't voted...well, why not...go do it....lol[DOUBLEPOST=1426598131][/DOUBLEPOST]Ok, this next will be a in the process work....

Barrels = a U of lumber. Can be used for liquids or storage. A full barrel can be carried on your back. Go to inventory ad look at the slightly lighter area of yourself on the middle left. That is your back (so to speak). You can place a barrel, anvil, extremely heavy items there to carry them. Otherwise, you will find that you cannot move.

Chests = 4 lumber in a square = planks. Use those planks to make a chest in the usual way. A vanilla style will hold anything, All other (colored) chests only hold medium/small items. If you mouse over an item it will say the size.

Item barrels = 1 vanilla style chest, a wood slab and 7 logs. Make a U of logs, chest in center and slab in top center. They are great. But, making them takes a lot of materials.

Cider = 10000k of fresh water, add 4oz apples per 1000k (40 ounces), seal and you get cider.
    Brine = 9000k salt water, add 1 bucket vinegar, seal and you get Brine.
    Alcohol = 10000k fresh water, add materials, seal Beer = 40 oz barley flour Sake = 40 oz rice flour
    Rum = 40 oz raw sugar Vodka = 40 oz potatoes
    Whiskey = 40 oz wheat flour Rye Whiskey = 40 oz rye flour
    Corn Whiskey = 40 oz corn flour
    Vinegar = 10000k Cider, add 100 oz fruit/berries, seal
    Limewater = 10000k fresh water, add 20 oz flux
    Tannin = 10000k fresh water, add 1 birch/oak/chestnut/sequoia/hickory/maple/douglas fir log, seal
    Cheese = 90000k fresh milk, add 1 bucket vinegar, seal = curdled milk...remove bucket, reseal = cheese.[DOUBLEPOST=1426599935][/DOUBLEPOST]Leather = hides into limewater, seal (soaked hide), soaked hides 1 at a time on a log placed on its side, take a knife and right click
    it on hide (16 spots - will change color as you go)(scraped hide), scraped hide into fresh water, seal (prepared hide),
    finally put the prepared hide in tannin, seal.
    You can make leather armour, saddles, bellows, item frames and books.

Salt = mine salt stone/rock. Use a stone (+) hammer in craft grid with rock stones = salt.
    Flux = borax or chalk/limestone/dolomite/marble stones with a hammer (stone+)
    Cookfire = 3 sticks on ground in 1 block, hold right click firestarter until forms.
    Pit Kiln = Hole 1 deep (Right click items into center [lg. vessel] or 4 corners, right click 8 straw, then 8 logs, use firestarter.
    Smelting ores (copper, bismuth, bronzes) = place proper mixes into a vessel and melt in a pit kiln. Make sure you have cooked
    molds ready before you melt ores. If the ores cool, just replace and remelt in pit kiln. To use, right click vessel, insert
    molds to fill.

You can find glowstone in glowstone meteors, which also have a central chest of goodies.

Remember your NEI, it will show you ore mixes, knapping heads for tools and many recipes. Do not try to make vanilla items from the start, you can't. If you ask a question in chat and do not get an answer, wait a bit and ask again. The others may be bobbing in water, swimming, or mining/cutting/etc. Because it takes soo long to do these things, they cannot stop or they have to start all over again. Days are short and night are deadly.

Blood Moons. If you thought this pack was deadly enough, wait for a Blood Moon! This means a serious increase in the number of mobs, their health, and their powers.

When you start, you think Wow, I have 1000 hit points, yay. Hahahaha.....Practically everything else has more!

If you are injured, healing is very slow. If you see a pool or water with steam = health springs. Jump in, relax and heal slightly faster.

Portals. These take you to the Farmworld. (When you are finally able to make one) Your health will dramatically drop. When you return, you must wait (and wait) for your health to finally return. Do not build portals too low or too high. Too low and you end up encased in stone (and dead or glitched), too high and you cannot get down. Land generation in TFC is different, it starts at a higher level.

Meteors are deadly. They normally fall at night. They can be frozen (freezerite), super hot ( lots o lava), or anything in between. The longer you are in an area, the more you get. I have seen entire Acacia forests burn down fom 1 landing near it. Mining them can be deadly too. Some may spawn Super Charged Creeper, some Blazes.[DOUBLEPOST=1426600705][/DOUBLEPOST]The further South you move, the longer the growing season. Beware of jungles though. Due to the heavy leaf canopy, mobs spawn all the time there.

Cutting trees, If the tree you are going to cut has a massive leaf cluster or is attached to other tree canopies, break the leaves connecting them, or break some of its leaves, before you cut. Otherwise, you can get lag due to a massive chuck update of hundreds or thousands of leaves.[DOUBLEPOST=1427035407][/DOUBLEPOST]Thaumcraft...

This is a working tip guide. As I learn, I will add to it. If you discover something, please add it in.

Magic is very different here in this land. (Really, are you surprised?!) To start advancing in this, you must also work on Equivalent Exchange. You can make a Thaumonomicon book, you can make the Research Table and Workbench. You can even make the wand. You will need some vanilla items like iron.

When you get some vanilla iron, put it in your craft grid and get 18 nuggets. Make 2 iron wand caps (nuggets in the shape of a hat) and put those on either end of a stick = wand. Now run around sucking up nodes. Hahahaha. Sorry...there are No Nodes here! So, what do I do to get this stupid thing charged! You place it in your inventory and run around killing mobs. Of course! The wand will auto charge as you kill things. Try not to DIE and lose it though. You must kill certain things to get the different vis. Such as...for ignis, kill creepers. Hit and run, hit and run. Once it is charged, make yourself feel good by making a bookshelve and turning it into your Thaum book, make your 2 tables and turn them into your research Table and make a Workbench.

Now you are stuck. For a little bit. You must use the EE (Equiv. Exc.) to get the items for making a Silverwood Sapling, and an Infernal Furnace.
    The Silverwood needs a lot of room to grow, and if you are really lucky, you will get one with a node in it. Remember, if you are planning on breaking its' leaves for another sapling, the drop rate is 1 or none. This tree will change the area biome to Magical Forest. And you may get some unusual mobs spawning.
    The Infernal Furnace will be the 1st furnace you can make, after a lot of work. You can use it to smelt many things.

The wonderful research. Do it as much as you can. You want a Thaumometer? Mine, mine, mine. You need specific gems in specific condition to make it. The hardest to get will be the diamonds. Kimberlite (diamond ore) only appears in Gabbro stone. It is not a 100% drop. You will have to mine a good bit of it to get a diamond, and it will take a while to get the Diamond in the Condition you need. If you find Kimberlite, mine it for as many diamonds as you can get. Remember, Goggle of Revealing requires 2 Thauometers to make plus you need 1 Thaumometer to keep. Scan everything when you finally get one.

Beware Greatwood and Silverwood trees, they have killed many an unwary Kitty. Both the logs and the leaves are also subject to gravity. Only the leaves of these trees are solid ( you cannot walk through them)! Many times, if you chop on these trees, the leaves will fall and squish you. You want that spider web under that tree? You cut it, squish! Greatwoods with webs under and in it = hidden spawners and chests under it. If you dig down under the base, you will find them. These chests can contain a variety of items including Thaum items and vanilla items.[DOUBLEPOST=1427036039][/DOUBLEPOST]

Make a Smeltery as soon as you can. It is a wonderful thing to have. Kill those silverfish you see here and there. They will give you ore dusts, glowstone, spawn eggs, etc. It is kind of random what you get, if anything. That ore dust can be smelted in your Infernal furnace or your smeltery. The spawn eggs will give you another silverfish to murder. The zombies will occasionally (meaning rarely) drop vanilla iron. Armoured mobs will occasionally (rarely) drop armour or weapons for you to use. The spider eyes, zombie brains, ice cream, bread.....will rot really fast and you cannot eat any of it. Keep the rot, there are recipes that need it.[DOUBLEPOST=1427037552][/DOUBLEPOST]Nature...

There are Earthquakes. It is not your screen freaking out. Earthquakes are rare, but can result in giant rifts opening up that can go all the way to bedrock. They are scary, especially to Kitties. These rifts can be useful though. You will see caves (full of mobs), lava, water and sometimes ores. The fun part is figuring out how to get to these things without DIEing. Haha.

There can be morning fog. Beware, you cannot see the sneaky mobs in the fog. But they see you! Give it a moment and it will roll out.

Rain.. makes your crops grow. And darkens the sky so the mobs can come out and play. Plus in storms, you can get hit by "normal" lightning. (and so can your farm animals).

Forest fires. A big forest fire can lag you....bad. As mentioned before, when a meteor landed near and acacia forest, it lit the entire forest on fire and caused major lag due to the thousands of block updates of leaves and logs. That pit kiln and those torches of yours can cause a forest fire too. (Or a house fire). You know...flames...wood and leaves...poof.

Meteors...Danger from above. They carry mobs, lava, water, chunks of meteors, and sometimes chests. Make a Meteor Shield as soon as you can. Til then, play mole. The chips from them are needed for armours, tools, shields, etc.

Animals. Yep animals. Bears will kill you quick and easily. They jump and claw you. Do not hit that wolf unless you want to fight the pack. A wild wolf, even a partially tamed one, will jump fences and can kill you and WILL kill your animals. Only a wold puppy that you bred and fully tamed is safe anywhere near your farm critters. I have seen a wild wolf on a lead kill a horse before the lead holder could stop it. Doggies bad, Kitties good. Hehe.

Cliffs will crumple as you stand near the edge and down you go. Splat! Sneaking won't save you. I have walked across a beach only to have the entire beach disappear down into the underground canyon and me with it. OOOO, look, limonite (iron) on that wall under the cliff overhang. Hmmm. I will mine that. Wow, Rich Limonite, and there is another! You mine it...Squish! The overhang just collapsed on you!

Sky Islands. I want a base on that sky island! You manage to finally get onto it. Splat! The whole sky island just crashed to earth. Yep. Sky Islands are death traps from above. What hangs in the air, must fall. A sky island over your building? Beware, it may fall down and collapse that lovely home you had. Remember that pesky gravity thing. Same thing is true for all floating blocks, be they a tree, a stone, a dirt block. Hit it and it falls.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2015
  4. InforMaster

InforMaster New Member

Local Time:
    2:06 PM
    wow so truth, much death xD

5. Demonica6666

Local Time:
    Haha, of course.

6. SirWill

SirWill Founder

Local Time:
    3:06 PM
    Can you update your post and use spoilers? So it is no longer such a big wall of text.

7. Demonica6666

Local Time:
    I will look and find out how to do spoilers and redo it with them.

8. InforMaster

InforMaster New Member

Local Time:
    2:06 PM
    use (spoiler] to start and [/spoiler) to end

use [ ]

Demonica6666 likes this.
  9. SirWill

SirWill Founder

Local Time:
    3:06 PM
  10. InforMaster