1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feedback on the Questline "Earth is doomed!"

Discussion in 'Galactic Science' started by caithleen, May 3, 2015.

1. caithleen

caithleen Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    6:15 AM
    How good do you feel did the questline introduce you to the changed game mechanics?

Did the rewards fit? Did you struggle at some point?

2. Kronnn

Kronnn Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:15 AM
    I think for starting off there should be something in the power quest on what to do with the conduit you get.
    Also possibly a quest explaining that you need to silkworm a tree to get string.

Maybe make the bone crook a mandatory reward for the "Wield the power of the stars!" quest and add a new one that detects you getting a silkworm possibly combined with the "Trees on the moon" quest or after it. That would keep everything roughly where it is now.

Or if you were open to changing it, maybe make the reward for "Wield the power of the stars!" something like a few Glowstone Torches so new players can get some more light before making a sieve.
    Then this would mean moving the crook reward to "Trees on the moon"

I think making shears for the powering up the oxygen quest is a bit out of most players reach until they've started on the minechem line as iron is quite hard to get until then. Maybe the reward for "This reminds me of earth" could include a set of shears (as leaves make ok compost too) and/or you could change the recipe of sheers to 2 pieces of flint maybe which you can easily get from sieving.

I'm honestly not too sure the "Fossil stuff" quest fits where it is, it feels like I'm missing something as i haven't been introduced to what I need to fuel with it yet.

Apart from the the progression felt nice and smooth once I got a bit more used to the mods than I was at the start, but maybe there could be a bit more food scattered through the quest rewards as I found myself running low at times, even with the apples from the tree farm (although I was quite slow at things).

I do have another few suggestions for the start. You start off with 2 heavy oxygen tanks, and then get 3 more within the first few quests. This does seem like a bit of overkill for the very start of the game when you're just starting with basic supplies, maybe make the starting tanks + first quest, light oxygen tanks, then offering some medium tanks as rewards in the middle of the starting line somewhere around where the player has to go out and mine a bit of rock.

On the whole though, I do really like the pack so far XD are you taking ideas for story parts like the back story and some of the quest parts or do you have it all worked out? :)[DOUBLEPOST=1431216372][/DOUBLEPOST]Also just thought of something else based on my experience ;) some very basic armor wouldnt go amiss in the first few quests (you saw how many times I died till I built the walls XD ) maybe a quest where you make a stone/wooden sword to protect yourself from the moon mobs and get some leather armor or something like that :)

3. caithleen

caithleen Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    Thanks for your feedback. I think torches and food would perfectly fit into the reward bags. Ill look into some basic armor for the beginner kit.

The reason i hand out large oxygen tanks is that i fear players will start an island and go afk for a few minutes without doing the quests or just make something else. With small tanks they would run out in a few minutes.

The sheers are kinda expensive, right, ill look into an alternative recipe for it.

The fuel, well, its galacticcraft ;) I think it fits quite okay since you learn the 3 fluids you can make with the crucible. And the player starts early to gather enough stuff for a T2 liftoff later. A diamond sword is given fairly early in game.

If you want to write a storyline, youre welcome! I could need some more beef for the presentation thread as well.

4. JavaBond

JavaBond Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:15 AM
    I like the modpack, here is my honest feedback.
    3 quests already completed when i begin. Whaaat? (Maybe replaced for easy quest, like "I'm stepping in?" Get 1 moon turf and submit.
    2 kits at start mistake. A lot of repeated starting items, in my opnion the modpack needs to give to the player an way to make, not give done.
    I recieved a charcoal, but the machine just accept coal.
    All instructions must me in QB not in spawn, like teach the player to put a tree close to oxygen compressor, give sappling and bone meal, dont start with trees in the ground, dont put in spawn to not break the tree.
    Make a wooden axe to win a cobble axe? Whaat
    Strange reading quest: This require to crook a tree get silkworm to make string, i know how to make this but new players may not know

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  5. caithleen

caithleen Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    Trying to bring some structure in ...

1. When you start only the fail quest should be completed as it has no requirements and is repeatable as well.
    2. As soon as you get to the moon the starter quest finishes to hook you up - it checks for arrival on moon
    3. Whats the name of the 3rd quest?
    4. The starting fast advancment is wanted and part of the pack idea to bring you to new stuff and not do that "Jaded wants me to punch trees for 2h, then sieve for 2h" thing again. Well you will still sieve alot in it ;)
    5. The repeated Starterkit is kinda a failsafe, we just moved to beta with the islands on saturday and it was not clear if the second kit would work (its in the is creation scripts). Thing is - if you dont put on oxy its in the inventory space that gets cleared on is create, so the failsafe to add a second set for those who didnt read and lost theirs.
    6. What do you mean by "a lot of repeated starting items" ? The oxy tanks?
    7. Whats wrong with charcoal?
    8. QB texts are still a WIP. But the rules on spawn are mostly for the mym server - it can be totally different on other servers or in singleplayer. There could be other structures, other mechanics ....
    9. Cobble axe is there for you to use treecap early on and skip that jumping around in huge oaks ...
    10. see 8 - QB texts are WIP but i think theres also the community to help with simple questions as well as google and lets plays on nihilo ;)