1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Horizons) Ban open modular turrets: huge chat spam

Discussion in 'Archive (Suggestion and Feedback)' started by chugga_fan, Jul 19, 2015.

1. chugga_fan

chugga_fan ME 4M storage cell of knowledge, all the time

Local Time:
    4:32 AM
    these are pictures of less than a minute sitting in a zone with one active:
    <-- album

2. SirWill

SirWill Founder

Local Time:
    9:32 AM
    Why not just leave the area?

Mining_Canadian likes this.
  3. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    I was there to help another player with a mod, so i couldn't really leave the area

4. Lawmonark

Lawmonark Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    you could always just turn off your chat.

Mining_Canadian likes this.
  5. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    then how am i going to help the guy if i need to chat with him to explain the mods?

6. Chetwynd

Chetwynd Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:32 AM
    Why should we ban the item? Im sure you could maybe tabby chat filter it out?

Mining_Canadian and Lawmonark like this.
  7. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    if you looked at the pictures you'd know, i don't use tabbychat, i got angry with it in vanilla 1.7.10 because it has those blinking tabs that get super annoying that you have to check for them to stop blinking

8. Chetwynd

Local Time:
    Well thats your loss. Just because it anoys you does not mean it needs to be banned.

Mining_Canadian and Lawmonark like this.
  9. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    most players also aren't playing through the MYM launcher, and therefore are not using tabbychat, so all those players will also see these spammy messages constantly when new and they just /rt near a base or die because they /rt'd and they were placed within the kill range of one of these turrets, and in turn, ragequit, the endgame players (e.x. me, etc, etc) are spammed, but can't die from it, so it's a protection thats really just a whole lot of spam for players nearby

10. Chetwynd

Local Time:
    Well if it bugs you so much, Maybe you should have a look at a way to disable the message or change how Frequent it is without having to ban the item. We dont like banning items. We would prefer to find a fix for them.

11. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    the turrets will still kill any new players who /rt into it's kill radius if they still exist, and i can check config options, no gaurentee that there is a chat message rate config[DOUBLEPOST=1437338153][/DOUBLEPOST]the next best thing (kinda) i could find in the config is this
    Code:
    turretwarnmessage {
    	B:"Should turret warn message be displayed?"=true
    }

and that just means you have no idea if it's nearby or not, there is also
    Code:
    miscellaneous {
    	I:warningDistance=40
    }
    but that would only work if it's made to the edge of the claim protections maximum, and the firing range is also configurable but it's 10 atm

12. Lawmonark

Lawmonark Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    disabling the warning would be bad.... just stay out of areas where turrets will attack you... if you do go in the area... disable your chat.
    No need to disable a mod because it annoys you.
    If we disabled every mod that annoyed someone.... we would be playing vanilla. Hell we might not even play the game at all since some people get annoyed with vanilla

13. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    i'm saying that it's kinda sorta hard to help someone without being able to use the chat box no? does this make any sense to you? and the range on these things are REDICULOUS! 40 blocks! jesus christ i could have a base near one of these guys and i will STILL get the chat message on the far side of it! it's annoying, it's a near useless mod, and it's stopping players from helping eachother, i want a staff member to try to cosy up to these things and have a nice time typing in those commands and talking with other staff members using normal chat, because you CAN'T, seriously, someone setup like 8 of these things, the chat spam was so great that i couldn't SEE someone else's chat go by, the turrets are not just annoying, they are counter-productive, trust me at least on this one

14. chaosblad3

chaosblad3 Very Well-Known Member Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    My opinion on the matter is mostly neutral, but I do have to wonder what need there is for a turret that kills other players on what I understand to be a non-pvp server??

On that basis alone I don't see any reason not to disable them.. though if anyone does have a good reason the by all means do tell..

Now if there is a config option to disable their ability to target players (which I would hope would also disable the warning) then that would make this a much easier decision.

15. tyler489

tyler489 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:32 AM
    if they only attake at range 10 maybe turn the chat spam to the radius of 12/15

16. Kronnn

Kronnn Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Tabbychat + Consolidate Spammed Chat = Problem solved

17. Chetwynd

Local Time:
    There is seriously no need to give us that attitude chugga, None of us has given any attitude to you. We are just putting our Opinions. As everyone is allowed. There is no reason for you too be like that. Being like that is going to want to make no one read your idea.

18. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    there is not, this would be a compromise
    i do not have an attitude, all i'm seeing from you currently though is 100% rejection to my proposal even when i have perfectally valid reasons
    i explain earlier in the thread why i don't have tabbychat... and so don't most of the horizons players, as they use FTB launcher not MYM

19. Kronnn

Kronnn Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    You can install your own client-side mods very easily by dragging the mod into the Mods folder. Works on any launcher

20. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    except tabbychat for me is an annoyance, again i explained why i hate the mod earlier in the thread, as i have near 0 idea how to use the mod,the flashing tabs it produces are moreso annoyances than anything else, and with nicknames the reply feature doesn't even work, so thats a thing, so thats why i don't use it