1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Horizons) Ban open modular turrets: huge chat spam

Discussion in 'Archive (Suggestion and Feedback)' started by chugga_fan, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Kronnn

Kronnn Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:14 AM
    Well then you need to decide weather the spam from the turrets or tabbychat is a greater annoyance ;)

2. chugga_fan

chugga_fan ME 4M storage cell of knowledge, all the time

Local Time:
    10:14 PM
    what about the other players that don't use tabbychat, i'm sure plenty don't even know of it's existance!

3. Chetwynd

Chetwynd Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    While other players can cope with the flashing tabs and can use google to find out how to use it. Therfore, Just because you want it banned because you refuse to use a mod does not mean it needs to be banned,

4. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    and i'm sure plenty of players, as i said above, don't know about it's existance or how to use it, therefore.... we can draw the conclusions that the same thing will happen

5. Chetwynd

Chetwynd Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Im pretty sure if they ask about it we can suggest tabbychat and they will actually use it other then just complain about it.

6. Kronnn

Kronnn Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    What's the first rule that appears on every one of our servers and the rules page Chugga?

The way I see it the message serves a use, anyone who finds it annoying enough will look for ways / ask how to get it to stop,

7. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    i tried to look, there is no way without removing the warning, if the player is offline, of which leaves people like me (only 1 turret can damage legendary gear clockwork) to die from their wrath, seriously, i don't see any two ways around this, it's also technically PVP bypass @chaosblad3 mentioned, as the players aren't wanting to die from /rting into a base and get shot at so rapidly they die

8. Kronnn

Kronnn Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Hmmm, might be a good idea to stick to the farmworld for RTing around looking for stuff untill something can be maybe figured out

9. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    the main reason i complained about this is that i was trying to help someone with a mod at their base, and their base was within the radius so i couldn't chat with the guy so i could help him with the mod, and what about people looking for nice base locations?

10. LucidTheStick

LucidTheStick Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Hey @chugga_fan ,
    What's the purpose of the turrets? From your description they sound like they bypass PvP and as well spam chat with messages. We need to weigh the benefit of an item vs harm to server as you know. So what's the benefit gained from these and I see nothing but bad things from your description.

11. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    basically, they are base protection systems that do both of what you just listed, proximity kill machines

12. LucidTheStick

Local Time:
    Do they also then attack mobs? What's the harm of removing them?

13. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    they do not attack mobs, just players, and removing them only does harm to the players who aren't protecting their bases (seriously, get some claim blocks, vote, sell items) otherwise you're all good

14. LucidTheStick

Local Time:
    So they seem like player traps really then since none of the current servers that I know of are raiding ones.

15. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    yes, thats exactly what they are

16. LucidTheStick

Local Time:
    @SirWill I'm for banning these if they serve no purpose but to kill players, your thoughts?

17. SirWill

SirWill Founder

Local Time:
    4:14 AM
    Go ahead

18. redcatjuan

redcatjuan New Member

Local Time:
    7:14 PM
    Just thought I'd chime in here because there seems to be some incorrect information going around. As far as I know this mod was meant as a modular, tier-able defense system. IMO it's effect is pretty useless in Horizons as there are no mob buffs and the trouble to keep it fed with ammo and power is not worth it. However it is certainly not a mod that only attacks players as that would be useless in single player and most modpacks are designed with single player in mind.

As you can see with the screenshots each turret can be configured to shoot mobs, neutrals, or players. Default configuration is True, True, False respectively. Using a configuration device one can even trust specific players.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I don't know if this actually stops the chat spam and I do not really care if the mod is banned on the server as I see no need for it, but I thought I would just clear up some misconceptions about the mod.

Bennyboy1695 likes this.
  19. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    Got it, i did not know these config options exist, but the only players i've seen use them not only are intentionally wanting players to be attacked, their offline and near other's bases aswell

20. SirWill

SirWill Founder

Local Time:
    4:14 AM
    Is an specific item needed to change attack player to true?