1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Done Horizons map reset?

Discussion in 'Horizons' started by xEtnies, Jan 25, 2014.

?

Should the Horizons map be reset?

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    61.0%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    39.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phantumjosh

phantumjosh New Member

Local Time:
    6:14 PM
    Too bad, stop whining about your mcmmo levels already, they're not that high in any regard, they create an unfair advantage at the start of a map, and I don't know about the admin team, but doing things Half-assed is a complete and pointless waste of time.

As Aighato said earlier, this is beta, things are going to happen, things will be reset, and honestly, if you only partially reset things you're not actually figuring out what changes need to be made. Even IF we lose a couple people from a reset, they're going to have to start somewhere else anyways. This server is one of the most stable, with (for the most part) mature staff that (again for the most part) know what they're doing.

Having run my own incredibly successful servers in the past, I'm very very picky when it comes to what servers I'll play on. This is a good gig here, and if people are too pig-headed to recognize that, then they're too tunnel-visioned on what's best for them, not for everyone as a whole. Servers are infinitely more fun when they are accessible for ALL players, as opposed to servers that only care about a select few.

The reasons a server reset would be so beneficial to the server at the moment are as follows:
    • There have been a lot of banned items, and removed mods. The biggest problem is that once a map has been generated, any substantial changes to terrain can have serious effects on server performance as it can cause errors to appear if a chunk has to be reloaded.
    • There are a lot of people that are either no longer playing on this server, or have been banned, and as such their bases are potential lag inducing regions of suck.
    • Some people cause lag by making "lag machines." Usually this is always caught, but sometimes enough slips through.
    • This is beta, resets are good.
    • A full reset gives the opportunity for new players to join the world and get their hands on rare items, real estate, pvp, skills, leaderboards, etc.
    • Because Yes you want it, that's why.
    • Having a mod with significant terrain generation removed causes a lot of layers of blocks to no longer exist, hence the market, and functionality of the modpack has been disproportionately represented. Players need only mine down to specific levels upon which they will find ores randomly floating in several locations making it easy to acquire a lot of hard-to-find materials very quickly.
    TL;DR: Go back to school, Grow up, learn how to read. IF you don't read this, then don't bother replying.

Atek_la, Sir_Face and MrRoooo like this.
  2. Sir_Face

Sir_Face New Member

Local Time:
    7:14 PM
    The sooner the reset, the better.
    I vote yes for a reset and I look forward to it.
    Until then, I will be limiting my time on the server (coming in here and there to see if we've reset yet) and get caught up in League of Legends.
    Thanks for being an awesome server!! ^_^

3. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    2:14 AM
    To clear this up. I already told our staff team that I won´t do a half thing on resetting. There are only two options complete reset or no reset. About the time, I have some family business today and not time for a reset. I may work tomrrow on it, if everyting runs as I think.

A point you have to understand is that a reset isn´t done by just deleting the map and the data from the plugins which could be done in an hour. A reset is something we don´t do every day and I want to make the best out of it. That means some testing with banned items, some improvements on plugins... But the thing which will need the most time is pre generating the world. With BOP and ATG this takes about 12h for the main world and 4-6h for the farming worlds. <-- including crashes from BOP and ATG on generation. If we don´t pregenerate the world, you would have to play on about 5-10 tps or without BOP and ATG.

4. Decnav

Decnav Proud member of the VRMasterRace Patron Tier 2

Local Time:
    8:14 PM
    I would rather a it done correctly than fast, thanks for the update. No point in trying to rush it and end up with more problems

Come join us on Monster while you wait.

Sir_Face likes this.
  5. phantumjosh

phantumjosh New Member

Local Time:

I love you -nohomo-

6. jg1203

jg1203 New Member

Local Time:
    calm ur tits

Sir_Face likes this.
  7. JoeFisher

JoeFisher New Member

Local Time:
    7:14 PM
    As I am kinda new to this server. Does myms you have not spent, and available claim blocks on your account keep intact? What would the reset not affect?

Update: I mean in game myms not on the forum shown in the top right.

8. killer234687

killer234687 New Member

Local Time:
    5:14 PM
    I wouldnt have donated if i knew there was a map reset because i hate resets

9. DDistryer

DDistryer New Member

Local Time:
    I suggest that just the world is reset and not personal stats/inventory. It would let people's work not mean nothing and allow for more resources available to new players.

10. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    Make a ticket (if) after the reset that you get the claimblocks back.
    \/

phantumjosh and torchickspeed like this.
  11. DDistryer

DDistryer New Member

Local Time:
    why must there be only 2 options?

12. torchickspeed

torchickspeed New Member

Local Time:
    1:14 AM
    Because having partial resets just Brings back the same old problems. Some will be overly powerful over Newbies and giving you some of what you used to have more or less negates the point, And i bring back to the point made in the Original post, The market is broken.
    Allowing people there inventory's to freely take what they want, They can easily take enough stuff to break the market all over again, Wiping hte slate completely clean is the only way to properly fix everything.

13. DDistryer

DDistryer New Member

Local Time:
    broken market is not a fixable problem it will happen again

14. torchickspeed

torchickspeed New Member

Local Time:
    It is easily fixable, The reason its broken is because of the Bedrock holes making the rarest of minerals easily accessible, As much as i like assess to all the diamond tools i ever need for under 100 mym, The novelty wears off. The market will be much more stable when these harder to obtain materials are Actually harder to obtain, Therefore the market can return to a proper and logical working order.
    With the reset the Bedrock holes will be clear and finally the game can run as it was meant to

15. DDistryer

DDistryer New Member

Local Time:
    then if the holes are the problem lets fix them and leave everything else

16. torchickspeed

torchickspeed New Member

Local Time:
    if you ACTUALLY READ the first post they are not the only problem! The server is simply ruined. Starting ars magica is borderline impossible now and the various other causes for the reset are all valid, Take these things into account before simply Complaining somethings unfair, I'm extremely unhappy to reset i love the work i put in, But its clearly going to happen and i can clearly see why it must be done.

17. DDistryer

DDistryer New Member

Local Time:
    if you ACTUALLY READ I am for the world reset. A world reset is very clearly needed. I just want people's efforts to not be in vein. I know how hard it is to start ars I searched the world for desert nova and got 16 of them.

18. torchickspeed

torchickspeed New Member

Local Time:
    Ive no idea when you searched the world But after an entire 4 hours scouring both the Main and farm world, I found nothing but 3 Blue orchids.
    And i see why you don't want efforts in vain, Neither do i But allowing people to keep there stuff just simply unbalances the entire thing.

19. Zalmon

Zalmon New Member

Local Time:
    5:14 PM
    pros:
    rogue dungeons everywhere
    ars magica generation everywhere
    metalurgy rare ores everywhere and not just at the edge of the world
    fresh start for everyone, no one on top
    the bottom of the world won't be as f-ed up
    edge of the world won't be as f-ed up
    abandoned claims (of which there are many) will be wiped, leaving more free land and less f-ed up land
    i will not have the equipment to curse you :p

cons:
    some whiny people lose their mcmmo -_- i will lose something like 400 mining levels and i think 200 excavation, and still all for it.

a map reset is inevitable in the long run anyway, do you really want to keep going and build up all your stuff just for it to reset in a month? most resets i have experienced last up to a year, i find that preferable.

Sir_Face likes this.
  20. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    +cons:
    tps are still fine
    we did not find all bugs yet and coming updates may add more <-- don´t expect a perfect server after a reset
    everything you did will be lost -> 2 days of mourning until we/you decide to comeback and restart ;) (Thats how I reacted to resets in the past. :D)
    a lot of work for me and sirwilli
    endless (+12h) world pre gen with a lot of stackoverflow crashes from bop and atg.
    some problems at the start -> as we are not perfect and may do some mistakes/forget some things

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.