Intel or AMD

Discussion in 'Community Talk' started by bobthepig2, Mar 10, 2015.

?

What is your preference

1. AMD

27.4%
  2. Intel

51.6%
  3. Potato

21.0%
  1. metalim

metalim Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    2:37 AM
    Go, ARM-based CPUs, go!
    Few more pushes, and x86 will be dethroned.

2. Kissqt

Kissqt Patron Tier 2

Local Time:
    1:37 AM
    Do you have any fact/sources behind that ?

Or it's just something that you heard someone or believe?

3. TomboyEnthusiast

TomboyEnthusiast Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    7:37 PM
    I'm sorry, but this is HORRIBLY false. Current development of computer programs, games and 99% of software is based for x86, and no amount of a "Few more pushes" will "dethrone" it. There is simply too much structure built around x86. To replace it outright would be to rewrite every program/function you have ever used on a computer, so probably not...

4. TomboyEnthusiast

Local Time:
  5. metalim

Local Time:
    Just saying what I see. Apple has advanced ARM-based performance to the moon and back, forcing all other players to respond and catch up. Talking about mobile devices, ofc.

You're wrong about 99% here. More programs run on ARM-based devices (mobile phones/tablets, gaming consoles, etc), than on personal computers. And then there's rising IoT with it's billions horde.
    Intel is strong, but it lacks competition in x86 field, slowing down it's progress.

6. TomboyEnthusiast

Local Time:
    Here you can find an article explaining that most studies showing Arm being better for power usage to performance are completely false. The line is exponentiation, the more power used, the more performance. As it stands, the desktop scene will likely never have ARM base processors take the lead, as the next step in computing is Quantum Computing which is neither x86 nor ARM based. Apple themselves won't even use their own ARM processors in their Macbooks simply because their is no foundation for them on the desktop platform. Windows can't run on ARM, most linux distros can't run on ARM and even MacOS cannot run on ARM. ALL aspects of computing would have to be ported for ARM, and with the time that it would take, Quantum Comping will likely be available to consumers at a hefty price point.

As this article states, each platform has their upsides, but neither will be on top of each other. If anything, Quantum computing will make x86 obsolete, and no amount of ARM development will pass it.

Even here, the community does not think ARM will surpass x86 due to the reasons I have already listed (lack of software support, plus the performance concerns).

TL;DR, The desktop scene WILL eventually see quantum computing beat out x86, but will likely never see ARM widely used due to its simplicity, and inability to process large amounts of scientific data (I.E. Graphics, physics and math calculations that x86 does with ease). Without evidence to support your claims, they are just that, claims.

GreyWolf11 likes this.
  7. TomboyEnthusiast

Local Time:
    GreyWolf11 likes this.
  8. metalim

Local Time:
    You're talking about how hard it's to adopt ARM vs x86 for desktop, and then describe Quantum computing as the next stage? Wow. Quantum computing is still far from reach, as it's a biggest paradigm shift to adopt for consumer computers: basically all crypto will have to be dropped into trashcan. Parallel computing and DeepLearning, however, are at the peak progress (both technology AND adoption) right now. So, you can't skip to quantum stage past the DeepLearning. And Nvidia is current (hardware) leader here. And given that AI introduces totally new (superhuman) force to the scene, it's pointless to predict future past that, as it's total guessing. It's technological singularity. (yippee!)

Also, as I said, ARM already superseded x86 in number of devices. And border between desktop-and-everything-else is thinner each day. For instance, it's easy to move work from one device to another (thanks to clouds and cross-platform software), with no regards on what CPU does it run.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  9. TomboyEnthusiast

Local Time:
    You took the smallest point of my argument to refute it, and in doing so, completely ignored my main point. My main point is that the desktop scene will not see ARM based processing. Ask any programmer and they will tell you the differences between programming for ARM and programming for x86. I even said it in my post:

Which is supporting what you are saying. I can admit, quantum computing is far off, but to re-write ever piece of software ever made, just so we can use ARM on the desktop is absurd. The time required for that would be insane. 40+ years of computer programs would need to be re-written. Unless you can provide an article or two claiming to the latter, then I'm sorry but your claims are just plain preposterous, misinformed and plain stupid.

As for your comments about Nvidia and deep learning, Again, I am only talking the desktop scene. We will never have a consumer computer that is solely run by an AI. There will always be the user doing manual things (I.E. Typing, clicking, writing programs, ETC.) and I don't see why you would bring it up in an argument about "Will ARM pass x86 in the desktop scene". I can also admit that x86 will probably never pass ARM in the mobile device scene, that isn't saying it is impossible, just unlikely. If you want, I can list as many reasons as I did earlier to support my argument that ARM will not pass x86 in the desktop scene.

At this point I am hysterical about your argument. With no evidence to back it up, its just a guy/girl behind a computer spouting their opinion to someone who has the evidence to refute said opinion. I provided 4 articles supporting my opinion on the matter, and I have yet to see one supporting your ideology. Please, enlighten me with some, I like a good laugh.

Colin

Aerydar and GreyWolf11 like this.
  10. GreyWolf11

GreyWolf11 Former Staffer

Local Time:
    Normally I don’t venture into debates where I don’t have a dog in the fight, but the worst possible thing you can do when arguing your side is to have no evidence in your argument, and to quote out things as if they are common knowledge, I personally have nothing against ARM, but you have provided 0 credible evidence to back your argument, and from a quick google search, I was unable to find any reliable source backing any of your claims, if you have proof, I implore you to show us, otherwise we have to take your statements at face-value, an opinion with no logic or reasoning behind it.
    I genuinely await your response
    ~Grey
    [doublepost=1521223330][/doublepost]@metalim

Aerydar and TomboyEnthusiast like this.
  11. metalim

Local Time:
    Why are you returning to desktop subject? Why did you imply I'm talking about desktop? It's the opposite: there's less and less difference between desktop and the rest, already mentioned that. Don't care what desktop will be based on.

I was senior software developer since 2005, software architect since 2015. Didn't provide any links, because my point is based on my experience, not on some paid articles.

12. GreyWolf11

GreyWolf11 Former Staffer

Local Time:
    No offense here, but your on the internet, meaning that I can claim I work in the White House and you have no way to be certain. Also, the reason he keeps comping back to Desktop is because that is primarily what this thread was..Intel vs. AMD.
    Again if you are willing to provide sources that can back up your argument, then you have credibility making your argument, without it, its just an opinion(IMO)
    ~Grey

13. metalim

Local Time:
    Then I must admit it was my mistake to try to explain something in a flame war thread. Thanks. The case cleared.

14. ectaven

ectaven New Member

Local Time:
    1:37 AM
    use the AMD EPYC 7601 its a good cpu

15. TomboyEnthusiast

Local Time:
    @metalim

He is a trusted non biased reviewer.