1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modpack: SevTech: Ages

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Slind, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    6:46 AM
    Hi there,
    I have been thinking about this modpack with SirWill. We always come down to the issue with it requring all kinds of items for progression, even those that we need to ban. Based on your experience (if you played it) do you think it could be worked around and if so, how?

2. ItsFunToLose

ItsFunToLose Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:46 PM
    10/10 would play this pack if released. good luck solving the technical issues, its a beautiful modpack so far. been watching giantwaffle and sev play it.

BanananaBread likes this.
  3. cbrozak

cbrozak Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:46 PM
    Absolutely. I've been playing it since release and it is a blast, and of course from habit I've been thinking about the progression from a server perspective (Thanks for that Slind) and was going to suggest bringing it to MYM. The pack is awesome and reminds me of an easier version of DIE quite a bit. Let me know if you need help.

I literally logged onto the forums today to suggest this.

4. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    So, do you think it will work in a public server environment?

5. cbrozak

cbrozak Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I do, I think it would work great.

Aside from the normal banned items/advancement work-arounds, I think there would need to be a way for animals to respawn or be created because a lot needs to die and be captured and I'd also turn up the ore spawn. For finding only the first 2 ores and coal I have had to travel a total of around 10,000 blocks. For single player I like it, but for server, no way, so much travel and hunting for ores makes me mine the entire vein (15 stacks of ore). 10 people on the server would wipe out the ores real fast without a super wide border.

I think I like the idea of a farming world best: If a mining/farm world would be used, I'd suggest default ore spawning but resetting every few days (give or take). That way people can get the feeling of a single player prospecting without having be let down by an already mined vein or someone else claiming the vein since they are so rare.

The shaggoths (and their lair) would need to be leashed somehow, or maybe also only able to be spawned in the farmworld if that idea happened. They spread out and ruin the environment REAL fast if they aren't gated in some way. In my single player as soon as I found a lair I built a pit area for them to roam and do their thing but in a server environment I could see people not caring or even luring them to someone elses base which would COMPLETELY ruin a base.

It's definitely a long term pack so making sure the plugin that wipes a base if abandoned is functioning properly would be a real good thing too. I would bet half or more who would start wouldn't even finish the first age, age zero before quitting. It took me about 12ish hours to finish zero, but I did really take my time. 20 hours or so to reach the first Dimension change, and it wasn't even the nether yet. I literally hadn't even seen obsidian yet at that point. Real long term pack.

6. Sasuke987206

Sasuke987206 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    7:46 AM
    İ definetly love the pack its soo diffrent from other modpacks experience .I dont know the later ages but i think people will love if MYM hosts that server.

BanananaBread, lryanle and cbrozak like this.
  7. BanananaBread

BanananaBread The W̴̬̔̂i̴̝͇̇̚l̷͈̾̍l̷̨̋͠ǒ̴̫͝w̴̫̬̍͛

Local Time:
    9:46 PM
    I haven't played this pack too much, but its definitely interesting. It would be a stretch though for the MYM Community to make a server on it though. I don't know much about coding but i feel like this pack in general would be difficult to make a server for. Don't get me wrong, its an absolutely beautiful pack, and it is very unique, but I'm not sure how you guys would make a server on it. If a server was made, I would definitely play it!

8. Amped_Gamin

Amped_Gamin Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    12:46 AM
    Perhaps change some recipes around, replace the items that need to be banned with something of equal value or rarity.

9. knoxz

knoxz Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    you know you cant find/see ores until you unlocked them?
    There are some really new neat custom mods for this packs progression.
    I bet some of them will make trouble with a non forge environment.

You would need to host a sponge server and test everything to lategame.

CatArcher, Evan317 and BanananaBread like this.
  10. BookerTheGeek

BookerTheGeek Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    Looking through the scripts it should be pretty easy to modify them to handle any problematic items or blocks.

Get me a list of items and blocks to be removed and I'll be able to fix the scripts pretty quickly.

BanananaBread and Datsaltysnek like this.
  11. Obikenobi42

Obikenobi42 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I would totally play the pack if MYM hosts a server, but from what I can tell, you really can't mess with the progression at all. Items that would "need" to be banned are most likely the ones needed for progression.

12. Datsaltysnek

Datsaltysnek lover of NCIS

Local Time:
    yeah the pack kind of "reloads" when progressing so when you have alot of people doing alot of stuff... well i think we can all see the picture

13. Matryoshika

Matryoshika Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Why would SmoothFont prevent players from being able to play?

14. Aidoneus

Aidoneus Director Booster

Local Time:
    10:46 PM
    This is a client-side mod. You can remove it yourself. And as Matryoshika said, why would it prevent you from playing it?

15. Spelosty

Spelosty Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    I am curious.... does the Twilight Forest dimension run any better in 1.12? Or is it still in an area of getting entirely cut from the pack for this server to happen?

16. BookerTheGeek

Local Time:
    It seems to run better on single player with sponge. Don't know on a server.

17. wyndman

wyndman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I'll reiterate my concerns about taking this public, versus patron.

Ore generation can be a roadblock, in a public environment we're facing the very real possibility of hundreds of players traversing the world. The way ore generation is handled leaves the ores hidden from those who haven't advanced far enough to see them. This can mean either inadvertent destruction of ores, or much more likely the destruction of surface samples indicating the presence of ores. In single player it can certainly be a problem for a first time player. Breaking that pebble since you need a pebble, only to find out a few ages later that those weren't pebbles at all.

The only work around I can think of would be to either reset the farmworld aggressively. This of course could lead to its own issues, if generating from a template then players who are in age one or two (or higher) quickly can note the locations of the ores and remove the markers ensuring they had a private stash. Finding ores can already be a frustrating affair as you move forward with the generation algorithm not being perfect.

Next natural generating progressive items being limited, these include mulberry trees, and Shagaroth lair's (apologies if I misspelled it), both these are considered rare and are somewhat biome dependent, as mulberry has a rare chance to spawn in any biome, they from personal experience seem to be true to their word when they are defined as rare.

Then there is the issue with animals, Cows are needed for progression, along with parrots, util the recent update finding a parrot or realistically two was a challenge as they required finding a jungle biome, thankfully now they are also seen in savannas as well. but where that was a solution it is also a problem! The spawning algorithm rears its ugly head again, parrots are either feast or famine, players have reported finding so many parrots in a chunk it renders the chunk unusable, while our mob limits can keep this in check, it is still something to consider.

Next was one of the reasons we passed on a similar pack GTHorizons, finite water (along with the ore generation). Outside of rivers, oceans and deep oceans water is finite. This means smaller bodies of water will be destroyed rather quickly, and in the case of rivers, I've encountered more than few bugs with the water forgetting it was in a river.

It also relies on a mod for teaming together that seems to have quite a few reports of issues with it, so these may be resolved in the future there a but wonky now.

18. BookerTheGeek

Local Time:
    I can see that being a roadblock. We could generate a few (3 or 4) normal overworlds with different seeds and rotate them every few days, or we could seperate them per age you are in. Both solutions are a bit intensive.

The parrot deal could be fixed with a spawn egg for them being sold for a comparable item from that age.

The team mod though is going to be an issue.

19. knoxz

knoxz Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Also it seems to generate ores when you progress. The entire world will get reloaded. Ores are not hidden if you haven't progressed. They are getting generated when you do. You have a lag spike when progressing and the whole world reloads. At least as it seems.
    How would you do this on a server?

20. Matryoshika

Matryoshika Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Incorrect.
    Ores and other blocks that are hidden are simply rendered as another block, and when broken drop that other block's drops. There's no re-generation happening.
    GitHub - Darkhax-Minecraft/Ore-Stages: Allows blocks (primarily ores) to be placed into custom stages.

cbrozak and BanananaBread like this.