1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Performance bottleneck -> TileEntity Count (1.7.10)

Discussion in 'Server Info' started by Slind, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    6:08 PM
    Hey,

I just finished creating a minecraft mod allowing me to see the tile entity count per base. As the world amount of tile entities is currently the biggest bottleneck of performance we are going to be disabling a few build blocks and telling people what to change in their base to reduce the amount of active tile ents. Atm. we have around 100k tile ents on all 1.7 servers. Around 30k of them are ticking. The goal is to reduce the ticking once down to 20k and later on even down to 15k.

Some of the build blocks being disabled are:
    • Arcane Lamp (fixed in latest Thaumcraft version and will be re enabled once the pack updates to this version)
    • Ender IO Lamps
    • Skyblocks
    • Canvas
    The lamps are spawning in tile entities around them, causing only a few of them to add thousands of tile ents. The skyblocks and canvas are probably used in mass in a few bases, they more or less the only building blocks being active tile ents, most are inactive ones and don't cause such a big passive strain.

I hope @Xfel11 finds a moment (soon) to write some sort of Applied Energistics profiling allowing us to easily track down the bottleneck systems. (atm. the only way is to check base by base and relay on our experience with the mod -> quite time consuming and inaccurate)

This is mainly about 1.7.10. Something similar in a smaller scale might follow for b-team.

This is the: good tps on /cofh tps and bad on /tps thing.

grav0r, DarkEffort, JacaRoe and 2 others like this.
  2. CommonExplosion

CommonExplosion Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Which ender io lamps are causing this?

3. SirWill

SirWill Founder

Local Time:
    Isn't there only one lamp from ender io? The "Powered Light's".

4. Matryoshika

Matryoshika Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    There is Light, Powered Light, Powered Light (inverted), Wireless Powered light, and Wireless Powered Light (inverted).
    However, the issue might lie in all of those, as they are just redstone signal inverted, or can be powered by conduits/the wireless charger. None of which affect the light creation of these items.

5. CommonExplosion

Local Time:
    it adds 2 (actually much more) types of lamps. One is the powered light which uses power to light up a bigger area. The other one is a normal one that doesn't use power and emits the same amount of light glowstone does. (both can be made inverted = redstone behaviour mirrored and the powered one has an extra state = wireless)

6. SirWill

SirWill Founder

Local Time:
    Well, all use the same tile entity to create the light.

7. SilentStar

SilentStar Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I never liked the arcane lamp of thaumcraft, because it always had an insane tps drop from what i was able to see if you were going over a line (on 1.6.4) Thats why i always suggested not to build more than 10 of them in one base. On Monster the Tps were dropping from 20 to 15 just with these lamps, which was insane if you think that the player was alone on the Server. After removing these lamps the tps went back to 20.

But these Arcane lamps do create massive tile entities? Thats interesting. Never heard of that. This issue is mostly on 1.7.10? Because i have seen them having issues as well on 1.6.4

8. CommonExplosion

Local Time:
    Arcane lamps makes entities named shimmering lights (if I recall correctly) these entities emit their own light. this is why an arcane lamp has a huge range. It "places" it's own invisible torches. You can see this effect if you have a completely dark room as round, well lit areas will spawn.

This mechanic is somewhat similar to the wraith lamps (?)

9. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    They seem to be all the same, from the test I did an hour ago.

10. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    Can't tell we don't have a 1.6.4 pack with thaumcraft anymore where I could test.

11. Matryoshika

Local Time:
    Doesn't agrarian have thaumcraft?

Mijikai likes this.
  12. CommonExplosion

Local Time:
    It also adds a new warp mechanic. It will reduce the amount of times warp happens based upon when you get new warp. This should reduce random sun scorned effects too. :D

Slind likes this.
  13. Bennyboy1695

Bennyboy1695 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:08 PM
    Agrarian skies+ has thaumcraft

14. Matryoshika

Local Time:
    Both AG and AG+ should have thaumcraft.
    Mod-list.

15. Mijikai

Mijikai Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Both AG and AG+ do have thaumcraft* :p
    It's always been everyone's favorite mod on there, as far as I'm aware :eek:

16. Bennyboy1695

Bennyboy1695 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I hate thaumcraft, I prefer ars magica :p

AlexisRoger and tonalom like this.
  17. mikkelnh

mikkelnh New Member

Local Time:
    can you do so just just cant place the arcane lamp in the world cos now we cant make lamp of growt either cos it needs the arcane lamp in its recipe

18. The_Icy_One

The_Icy_One Procrastinates by doing work

Local Time:
    If you're having issues just putting the lamp on the pedestal, you can use a hopper.

19. Zimbalza

Zimbalza Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:08 AM
    The removal of Arcane Lamps also removes the ability to create Lamps of Growth and Fertility. Is there a fix to permit the lamps to be made but not placed in the world? The lamp still needs to be placed upon an arcane pedestal for the infusion process but little more than that is required.[DOUBLEPOST=1423268371,1423268147][/DOUBLEPOST]
    As nice as Ars Magica is, I am rather sure the mod author, Mithion, has left Minecraft and modding. He may change his mind, or already has, but I have not seen any news to this effect as of current.

20. mikkelnh

mikkelnh New Member

Local Time:
    what about selling lamp of growt in mym shop then?