1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please, Lets be Simple

Discussion in 'Community Talk' started by LordFungi, Apr 26, 2019.

1. LordFungi

LordFungi Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    6:47 AM
    This is about the quest modpacks that are on every new server MyM releases nowadays. I know, you can theoretically ignore quests on servers with questing enabled, but these quest-centric modpacks change the mods they use so god damn much that I can't even experience 1.12 mods like they were designed. Could ya'll consider releasing a server with a modpack thats a little on the calm side instead of "Oh this one here'll take three months to complete." I just miss the way old 1.7.10 packs felt, with you being able to just build a leadstone jetpack without needing three parts from three different mods. Some people like simple is all.

2. tonalom

tonalom Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:47 PM
    The ultimate reloaded server is opening today. Ultimate reloaded is a lightweight quest-free pack, so perhaps that could be something you'd like?

Zxirl and ggkhs like this.
  3. LordEreh

LordEreh Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I like quest driven modpacks b'cuz they give "direction" or TO DO list.

I cant count how much time i waste derping around my base w8ing for something i cant find or think "what is best thing to do next"

Also quests teach about mods for new players - e.g Agrarian Skies - first u must make pipes to move things then you make machines or 1st u make blood altar then slates and then runes, also every quest have description about what you make or what you need to do or how it works, recently i read those and found out this is very important part of making quests so i know why MyM Skies production takes so long.

Also removed/blocked mod features is personal modpack maker thing to give lore/story to the pack - another AS2 reference - questbook SAYS why animals are agressive, its part of the story and I like this how feature/mechanic is implemented/explained just by story not by creator's will "Ah i dont like it so i disable it or it gives me problems with config/stability so i disable it"
    [doublepost=1556272862][/doublepost]Also - IF quest modpacks were not popular, their numbers will be much less on MyM - if pack have stady count of players it stays forever - look at 1.6.4 packs like Crash Landing, Agrarian Skies 1 and Attack on B-Team - they are the oldest servers but still have plenty ppl playing them

4. pizzaluc

pizzaluc Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Also i like some resemblance of balance when i play a pack, which is kinda impossible in kitchen sinks, because most mods are made in a vacuum balanced mostly around vanilla minecraft.

That being said, i love playing non-quest kitchen sinks when jumping to a new version of minecraft, lets you get a nice feel for all the mods and features before pack creators turn it all upside down.

5. Cantiel

Cantiel Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    on 1 hand, i like how quest based packs give me an orientation on what to do next, and get me to actually look at mods or items i normally wouldn't use. Some even have some unique theme & mechanics, like regrowth or forever stranded
    on the other hand, many quest packs here are "expert mode" or similar, with changed recipes and gated progress, which often feels tedious, and force me to use modpacks i don't want to use.
    and sometimes, when i just want to make a nice looking base, i find myself needing to progress with quests first, before i can actually craft some building tools or aestethic looking blocks. (eg. enigmatica 2, where you need to progress in mekanism & botania just to make a simple diamond builders wand)

long story short: it's hard to find a nice balance between challenging quest packs and creative kitchen sink packs

6. AyeItsKatieMC

AyeItsKatieMC Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:47 AM
    Plus there's revelation which isn't a quest driven mod pack

7. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    I like how this went into a discussion. I personally like packs that give me some kind of progression, doesn't have to be a quest book. Infinity expert was good without a book, the book did not really make it better.

But traditional kitchen sink packs are probably more popular than expert packs. Look at the new infinity server. So I agree that they have been rare lately. The new pack is a good start. I actually think it might be a chance to get that community build with trains etc

Cantiel and p5k like this.