1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remove Pack loading times for staff using (rented?) gaming PC

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by MarethyuDusk, Jul 1, 2020.

1. MarethyuDusk

MarethyuDusk Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:49 AM
    I've frequently seen staff saying something along the lines of "loading up pack", which takes somewhere from 5 to 15 minutes, and is probably large factor in the time taken to complete a ticket. My suggestion is, to rent a gaming PC from a company like Shadow - Dein starker Gaming PC dank Cloud Gaming Technologie (no idea how good they are, just the first time i heard about this concept). Alternatively, these PCs could be bought/part of your servers could be used for this, but i don't know if/how that would work specifically. These PCs, however they are aquired, could permanently have several modpacks loaded, and whenever a staff member needs to log into a pack for support reasons, they can connect to the appropriate PC instead, removing pack loading time.

2. Braun_

Braun_ Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    1:49 AM
    well that is how long some packs take to load. Even eternal takes my computer 7 mins to load. now if you feel that your tickets aren't being handle in a timely manner * harass staff* most tickets should only take a day or so or at least responded to within a day.
    Also depending on the issue if its admin required you pretty waiting on aido or hanover atm to do them, which they already do a ton of stuff in the background and foreground.

now if its senior moderator required or below they have a fully staffed team: harass them, no excuses.

Doubt they are going to spend money to rent a PC and share 1 login between the 20 or so staff member.

LunaBlossoms likes this.
  3. tonalom

tonalom Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    It's an interesting idea for sure, but I don't quite see how this would improver staff response time. A lot of the staff members already have "high-end" pc's, so the rest would have to share one remote pc. Which as Braun mentioned, it could get messy. In addition, the staff team has a lot of very active members at the moment. Last night we even had to plan who was going to respond to tickets in order to avoid multiple people jumping at them.

We are a group of volunteers just looking to lend a hand, and when we do it can take anywhere between 5 minutes to maybe a few days, depending how complex of an issue it is and the permissions required to resolve it. Obviously we would love for response times to be even faster as well, but I'm not sure crowding a remote pc would be the best way to do so.

Braun_ likes this.
  4. MarethyuDusk

MarethyuDusk Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I don't think my tickets are handled slowly, and i don't think i've ever harrassed staff, or felt the need to do so. I'm also not sure if it would improve ticket response time, because the major part of that is waiting for staff, rather than staff loading a pack. The idea was really just supposed to cut some of the time taken to complete a ticket

LunaBlossoms likes this.
  5. SirWill

SirWill Founder

Local Time:
    I thought about this too before but unfortunately it's not that simple to implement.
    It would require 64-128GB RAM to be able to run multiple modpacks at the same time and then only one person could use it at the same time.
    It's also too expensive to have a dedicated server just for that.

Kazeodori and LunaBlossoms like this.