1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Staff Account Compromise

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Snowfoxs, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    2:41 AM
  2. SLDplays

SLDplays Active Member

Local Time:
    7:41 PM
    im just happy we resovled everything and im happy more measures are being added to prevet this i have one tho for all mods or higher raking members
    a in game password system for high ranking members so if one steals the account they cant abuse it
    hints - one way access from using both diff passwords to even be able to use it hint hint
    also never make it the same password as you mc if you do add this so its best kept safe

3. Rohen

Rohen The beemaster

Local Time:
    Really nice to see how quick was the reaction. Even if this group will hack again, these hackers will do even less damage. Being prepared for hackers breaking into the system is really important part of defending from them. (But if security is even better now the chances for actual hackers breaking in are really low) I really hope there won't be any further problems with this kind of things.

4. SLDplays

SLDplays Active Member

Local Time:
    agreed

5. ProZed

ProZed Active Member

Local Time:
    8:41 PM
    This is just a suggestion. Im not smart. Ik im not. But some servers have that op accounts or with permission aka staff has to login through phone to get on server. Again im not smart. Cant stress that enough :p

6. Vouch

Vouch Trash

Local Time:
    1:41 AM
    I would personally feel safer on servers if that password protected login was setup.
    I'd probably feel my account to be much safer, too even though we're not as important.

7. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    We might be extending the current system to users (but optional), at this time it is build to be for exactly that case, nothing more and nothing less.
    The way it works is that if the user is a staff member it disables everything (move, interact, chat, commands..) and asks the webserver (forum) if the user is to be trusted, if the forum says yes, its unlocking them, if it says no, the user is kicked.
    This is a hand free system, no setup required, no user interaction required, all fully automatic, so it isn't any extra trouble.
    [​IMG]

8. ben_mkiv

ben_mkiv Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    that should be safe as long as no staff member has a keylogger on his system.

anyway that attack was handled well again by the mym team, good job :)

9. chugga_fan

chugga_fan ME 4M storage cell of knowledge, all the time

Local Time:
    Yes, you are as long as you have a semblanace of an idea of acount security, long passwords that aren't easy to bruteforce, prevent MiM attacks, etc, etc, and you won't get comprimized

Vouch likes this.
  10. Snowfoxs

Snowfoxs Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I think another very important thing to remember, is to avoid using the same passwords on multiple sites at all costs. Just because your security may be good, doesn't mean a site's as secure, its just a bigger target. Use a password manager if you have trouble remembering them.

ben_mkiv likes this.
  11. Vouch

Vouch Trash

Local Time:
    1:41 AM
    Tbh, for all the crappy sites I don't care about, I just use one dumb password then the others are basically all different that I care about. Hopefully that isn't helpful to any hackers rn lmaoo

12. strayturtles

strayturtles New Member

Local Time:
    just sdaying it was your fault sense you can do /absense and it wont delete your claim after 2 weeks but after a month[DOUBLEPOST=1468349836][/DOUBLEPOST]
    but if you use a password manager wouldnt that mean all they have to hack into is your google account and then they have all your passwords it is safer to write them down and stick that paper somewhere safer where not even your mom can find it

profrags likes this.
  13. chugga_fan

chugga_fan ME 4M storage cell of knowledge, all the time

Local Time:
    KeePass Password Safe keypass is computer based, my password for it is insane

14. kamild_

kamild_ Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Plus, you can increase the number of key transformation rounds, which basically increases the time it's needed to check if a password is correct, which makes brute-force attacks way less effective.

15. Arcanuo

Arcanuo Old School Poster

Local Time:
    Definitely an issue is password protection, but I'm glad this was resolved.