1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Story Time

Discussion in 'Offtopic' started by chaseB2, Jun 12, 2018.

1. brandonlk

brandonlk Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:01 AM
    Yay more stories :D

2. brandonlk

Local Time:
    The sun was high, the beams of light piercing through the leaves of the trees. In far trees i could hear birds chirping out their daily songs to
    each other the sound bouncing off the trees making it fill up the entire forest with song. I kept walking until i found an opening in the forest
    that contained a singular burnt out house. I walked upto the house, all the glass windows were smashed out. however, other than being blackened by a fire that happened here, there was very little in the way of overgrowth near the house, as if nature itself was avoiding this spot in the forest.

I walked around to the front of the house, the burnt door still attached to its frame. I gave the old oaken door a push, it was heavy and the
    hinges were rusted with age. But eventually i managed to get the door open and walk inside. I closed the door behind me oddly enough the door did not make a sound. To the right of me there was a rickety old staircase leading upwards to the second floor of the house. For some reason i decided to start by going up them. Whilst going up the stairs all i could hear was the creaking of the wood beneath my feet. After of what seemed an eternity i finally reached the top. I peered over the burnt banister to look how far up i was but as soon as i touched it, half of it crumbled into dust. I decided that leaning over the banister was a bad idea. I walked down the dingy corridor the only light was the midday sun through some holes in the roof.

As i walked down the the corridor i was checking all the doors, all of them were locked except for one, this door i checked.
    As soon as i touched the door knob to twist it i instantly recoiled, i was not expecting the knob to be hot. Upon closer inspection the knob
    seemed to be glowing i was surprised but the glow seemed oddly familiar. Ignoring the odd doorknob i pressed on with opening the door, ignoring the heat the knob was giving off i grabbed it wan twisted it and pulled. This door seemed heavier than the others but after a few minutes of pulling but after a few minutes the door flung open to reveal the site of what caused the fire. In the middle of the square room was a circle of blackened dust as if the site of a fiery explosion. I stepped into the circle and looked down all that was hear was an unburnt, soft, white feather. I bent down to pick it up and as soon as i touched it. I had a flashback of what had happened that day of the explosion. There was what seemed to be a person sitting in the middle of the floor, although he did not seem quite human, i could not put my finger on why not. Until i saw his face. Instead of the normal facial features that you would come to expect from a human. There was a beak and beady black eyes much akin to a bird. He was chanting some words that i could not quite make out. When suddenly there was a brilliant blue flash of light. The bird person seemed to be controlling it waving his feathery hands about moving the orb. When suddenly he had a pained expression on his feathered face. The bright blue orb got even brighter, blinding even. The orb exploded, the bird person was nowhere to be seen, and the house was ruined. I woke up from what seemed to be a dream, until i looked down at what was my hands. They were feathers instead of my hands when suddenly it all became clear.
    The cause of this explosion.
    Was me.
    Here you guys go, have another one from my collection (im running out lol)

Punane, SanndyTheManndy and chaseB2 like this.
  3. Fireforce

Fireforce Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    6:01 AM
    If your running out better get that ink pen out again and start to write :) I myself might drop a story some time when I get vaction. I just need one to read it before posting it. Remeber English is my second language so even if iam good at English... The English Grammer not so good

chaseB2 and Punane like this.
  4. brandonlk

Local Time:
    yeah i have a plan for an upcoming story

5. chaseB2

chaseB2 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:01 PM
    Come and get it! The next part of the tale, right here. Ripe for the taking.

This story is purely a work of fiction and as such, the characters involved, while loosely based off their actual counterparts, are in no way meant to represent them in actuality.

“I’ve spoken with my associates,” Eldest Kaymax looked about the room at the other doggos with tired eyes, “They have provided me with information regarding the origin. Where this whole mess started. I’ll need a few brave doggos to join me on this task. We’re going to leave this city for some time and may not be back. Where we are going, no doggo has been before. For that, I will be taking my attendant, Willow. DerEchte will also be joining me as we may need his skills. Master Grey will continue his watch over the castle while we are away. We will leave in the morning, make all the necessary preparations. That is all.”

The rest of the doggos left, all but Eldest Kay and Willow. The room was completely silent except for the soft sound of the crackling fireplace at the side of the room. The two sat in silence for several minutes. Kay stood up and walked over to the fireplace. He rested his arm on the mantle. He stared into the fire as if expecting to see something. “Willow, do you understand why I’m bringing you with me? By all rights you should remain here as the attendant of this estate. I chose, instead, to bring you with me. Do you know why?”

The young pup looked at The Eldest Doggo, puzzled, “No, I suppose I don’t know. The thought had never occured to me, Eldest Kay.”

Kay looked back at the pup, “You’ve changed a lot during your time here. I think it’s time you venture beyond the confines of this castle. You once dreamed of becoming more than you were. You wanted to be a Master Doggo once. We all saw the light shine in your eyes. That light has faded.” He walked away from the fire, and observed the books along the wall. “You were destined to be one of the greats, Willow. You’ve lost your way young pup. It’s time to find it again. Now go, get some rest and collect your belongings for tomorrow is a new chapter in your life.”

Willow stood, “Until tomorrow, Eldest Kay.” He walked out of the room and left Kay to ponder.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Early next morning, just before dawn. The doggos were loading up their horses in the stables preparing to embark on their journey. DerEchte glanced over at Willow to see how he was handling his horse, “Easy with Mayo, she’s a feisty one.”

The three doggos finished loading up their horses and mounted them. Kay looked over to DerEchte, “You know the roads out of town, lead the way.” He motioned for DerEchte to go first. The three headed out of the castle walls and on their way out of the city. Willow looked back watching the castle walls fade. He turned back to see Kay and DerEchte talking to one another quietly.

Willow closed the gap between them, and listened. Kay pulled out a map from a pouch an unfurled it. “The route foxes gave me suggested that we’d have to go through these villages to get there. I’m thinking if we take this path, it should cut several days off our journey.”

DerEchte looked the map over, “Hmm, we can take this path here, but not before this village. I’ve some people there I need to meet with. They promised information in return for some, items, I’ve acquired. Right now, we only have this general area to look in. They told me they found many treasures in a haunted village up north of this town here. They wouldn’t tell me where unless I made a trade with them valuable enough to make up for the possible loss in profits.”

Eldest Kay studied the map carefully as they rode. “You understand the doggo family will provide whatever compensation necessary for this information.”

DerEchte looked forward at the road ahead, “I’m fully aware old friend. Compensation is not required. We doggo’s look out for one another. They don’t call me the friendly gangster for nothing.”

“Very well then, as you wish.” Kay rolled up the map and stashed it away back in the pouch. He looked back at Willow and thought to himself, You’ll make a fine Eldest Doggo one day. He turned back around as they rode out of the city walls and into the open unknown.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After several weeks, the three doggos arrived at the edge of an abandoned village, ravaged by time and thieves. Kay and Willow looked to DerEchte who looked around at the village. “They say a dark plague swept through this place. Within days, all the souls here were lost. By the time anyone could get word out, it was far too late. No one dared come back here in fear of awakening the beast that slew those who lived here. My friends tell me this place has been silent for years. I don’t believe we should have anything to worry about. Come, this way.” He motioned for the other two to follow him into the town.

Kay looked about his surroundings, “My master once knew what happened here, he claimed it to be dark magic. Though, he was old and his mind weak. But seeing this now, it makes me wonder, could he have been right?”

The three continued down the cobblestone streets, the cool spring air softly blew through the trees. Willow piped up from behind, “I heard stories of a hermit who lived in a cabin in the woods and would come to town to take care of the townsfolk. This town looks like the one they spoke of.” He dug around in his satchel before producing several pieces of parchment. “These are hand drawn maps of a path to the cabin, they say it had bountiful treasures but no one would dare go near the woods nor the cabin for fear of the magic man whisking them away to never be seen again.”

Kay took the maps and showed them to DerEchte, “What do you make of it? Could this me the last clue?”

DerEchte looked the maps over, “Yes, I believe young Willow may be on to something. We must investigate this, quickly.

The doggos quickened their pace to the other end of the town. They ventured beyond its borders to find a forest. They stopped and dismounted their horses and gathered some equipment before venturing into the forest. The wandered till they came to a large clearing. A narrow cobblestone path lead to a overgrown cottage. Vegetable gardens, long forgotten, surrounded the home. Kay looked at it all, “This is the place alright. This is where it all began.”

What have our doggo's found, what secrets lie within? What is it that began there? With only three stories left, the loose ends are being tied up. Soon all the answers will be revealed!

6. Punane

Punane Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    7:01 AM
    Mayo! So that's where my horse went, Chase borrowed her for the story.

chaseB2 likes this.
  7. brandonlk

Local Time:
    Mayo is one of the best names for a horse

8. Punane

Punane Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    7:01 AM
    I felt like we needed some more stories so here is one from me.
    Warning: might contain some onion cutting ninjas

Jane looked into her daughter's mahogany eyes and sighed as the toddler kept repeating the same word. The little one's grin let her defiance for the whole world to see.

"Dada, dada, dada!"

"No, say mama. Mama."

"Dada!"

"Mama."

"Dada!"

They both laughed and the game continued as Jane chased her daughter with a handful of yellow leaves in her hand.

The wind blew harder and a sliver of sunshine escaped through the deep clouds for the first time in many weeks. It felt almost warm when it touched the skin.

John looked at the duo from the conservatory window and smiled. Playing in a leaf pile while shouting seemed like the best thing to do after a long day of work so he joined them in the next round of chase.

John let his daughter climb on his back despite her being way too old for piggyback rides. Jane watched them from the doorframe with a soft smile and walked over to kiss her husband good-bye.

Mia's exaggerated gagging noises showed how she felt about the display of affection.

"Jane, you are making us late!" the young girl complained.
    "Then maybe you should have found your shoes earlier as I asked you to."
    The girl whined and hugged John closer.
    "Dada, we need to go already."

And so they left to spend a day at the zoo.

"I like this burnt orange more," Mia mumbled.
    "We cannot paint the kitchen in that colour, it would clash with the red cabinets."
    "Jane, what about this light orange? Or the beige?"

And that is how they found the right paint for Jane's new apartment. Although Mia liked the orange a lot more, it was not her choice in the end. She was going to stay with dada instead until she was ready to move out.

Visiting Jane would be only an occasional treat since she did not have an extra room for her. Overnight stays would be rare.

All of the years of preparation, of Jane pushing her to go to the practice and demanding her to practice even harder, had brought her here and for the first time ever her talent was shown to everyone. This had been her time to shine and she had done just that.

Mia's performance ended and after a few seconds of silence, a massive applause filled the grand hall. She saw both of her parents raise from their seats, they started clapping even harder than others did, and it filled her with tingling warm feeling.

Cheeks flushed red; she bowed gracefully and walked off the stage.

A few hours later Mia sat down with her parents and her new stepmother for a late dinner to celebrate her success.

"You looked fantastic up there," Mia's mother Jane gushed and gave John a meaningful look, "I knew you were good but this was more than I hoped, sweetie."
    Mia blushed and thanked her.
    John coughed, clearing his voice and catching Mia's attention.
    "The ending really took my breath away," he added awkwardly and drained a glass of red wine.
    "Thank you, dada, it means a lot."
    Mia leaned over to give him a half-hug.

Their chatting did not end for hours. Only after the restaurant was about to close did they leave, each separating and going to their own homes. They all had enjoyed the pleasant evening and night together.

Jane sat up from her pale yellow bed as the door opened and a middle-aged woman entered with a food tray. It was already lunchtime so she put her book away, carefully laying her bookmark between the right pages.

"Good afternoon, Jane."
    "Oh, yes, it is a lovely afternoon," she took the tray and smiled at the woman.

They spoke in light topics while Jane ate. Neither of them mentioned her shaky hands or how much she spilled.

"Are you... are you happy here?" the woman finally asked as she took the empty tray.
    "Yes, I am."

Jane gave her a half-hearted grin and laid down on the bed, feeling suddenly more tired than before.

The woman stopped before exiting the room, hesitating.

"I will not be able to see you for a long time. We are going on a tour soon."
    "That is nice, I hope you have a good time there, sweetie."

Jane looked at the woman, taking her all in, and what caught her eye was that she did not look happy despite the good news. She was biting her sienna coloured lip and had had shadows cast over her deep brown eyes as she kept looking at a spot on the ground.

"Off you go now, I need some rest," Jane shooed the woman out of the room. "I will be just fine here with so many other nice ladies taking care of me. You need to go and enjoy your life while you are young."

Jane gathered her strength and gave the woman her award-winning smile despite most of her teeth no longer being her own. She got an uncertain look in return as the woman finally left the room.

Although she did not look like an old frail woman, that is exactly how Jane felt in that moment when the door finally shut. She felt like a piece of her was missing and something felt off but she quickly brushed it and closed her eyes for a short afternoon nap.

On the other side of the door the woman had placed her forehead against the door as she let a lonely tear slide off her cheek.

A streak of sunshine appeared through a window, lighting the woman's face up with a golden glow and highlighted the wet line on her face. The clouds had finally parted and let the sun escape for the first time in many weeks.

"Thank you, mama." She finally whispered to herself as she stood up and walked away. Mia never saw her mother alive again.

brandonlk and chaseB2 like this.
  9. brandonlk

Local Time:
    No not the onion ninjas!

10. chaseB2

Local Time:
    It's time for another round of our favorite doggos. Some sad news, this is the final chapter with all of the original doggos. Without further ado, enjoy.

This story is purely a work of fiction and as such, the characters involved, while loosely based off their actual counterparts, are in no way meant to represent them in actuality.

Snow crunched underneath the doggo’s feet as he walked down the empty street. The Eldest Doggo made his way past the gates of the cemetery and to the center where stood a giant doggo monument. He stood at the base of the monument and looked up at the stone doggo. “I’ve lost my way Eldest Doggo. You showed me the path back before, but now I have lost it once more. I fear there is no going back to it now. The damage is done, I’ve left my mark.” He looked down at the shiny, brown copper plaque at the base of the statue. Here rests Eldest Doggo Kaymax, a mentor and a good doggo. May he find peace in death. 1679-1765.

Eldest Doggo Willow wiped off the snow starting to collect on the plaque, “Eldest Kay, I fear I may not be able to hold this title any longer, it carries a heavy burden of our true history. I fear I cannot live this fantasy any longer. I swore an oath to this family to never speak the truth of it. I will hold true to that oath, to honor your memory, Eldest Kaymax.”

He turned and walked away from the tomb, holding fast to his coat and hat. A young pup watched him from the fencing along the edge of the cemetery. He watched the Eldest Doggo with curious fascination in his eyes. He hid in the night shadows, waiting for Eldest Willow to pass. The pup then followed the doggo, watching his every move whilst remaining silent as not to attract the doggo’s attention. Eldest Willow stopped and smiled, “Young pup, what is it you see?” He turned to face the pupper.

The pup gazed up at the Eldest Doggo, “I-I don’t know.” He appeared to be lost and uncertain.

Eldest Willow knelt down in front of the pupper, “Young one, what is your name?”

“Amped, sir. Amped Gamin…”

Willow out stretched his hand, “Come with me young Amped, let me help you. I will guide you on your journey.”

Amped reached out his hand and grabbed a hold of the doggo. Willow stood and brought Amped with him, back to the doggo manor. The great castle walls were daunting to the little pupper. He held tightly onto Eldest Willow as they crossed the threshold into the castle. The attendant waited at the door for the two to arrive, “I see your have found yourself a new pupil, master Willow. Shall I take your coats and hats?”

Willow hand his hat to the attendant, “Please do. Here, let me help you, young Amped.” He helped Amped remove his coat and handed it to the attendant. Amped and Willow walked off down the mansion corridor.

Eldest willow began to speak while continuing to face forward, “I was once a young and curious pup just like yourself. Many years ago, my master took me under his guidance. Just as I have done with you. You see young Amped, the doggo family is made up of doggos of all walks of life, all different and unique in their own ways. But we all share a certain quality that makes us different from the rest. One you will learn in time. Perhaps one day you will have a pupil of your own and will carry on the doggo name.” The two entered the den. A fire was burning in the hearth, the flames crackled quietly. Willow motioned for Amped to have a seat.

Amped look at Willow curiously, “Who was your master?”

Willow pour two cups of tea, “My master was Eldest Doggo Kaymax. One of the greatest doggos who ever lived. “He pointed to the painting of Eldest Kaymax above the mantle of the fireplace. “That is him there.”

Amped took a cup and saucer from Willow, “Where is Eldest Kaymax now?”

A dark look came over Willow’s face. He slowly settled into his chair, letting the question hover in the air. “Eldest Kay went off to join the other doggos before him. He is no longer with us.” Willow sipped his tea, looking into the flames off the fire.

“That was who you were visiting earlier, wasn’t it”

“Yes, it was. He still guides me, even though he has been gone for some time now. I still have much to learn, and he much to teach me. He….” Willow trailed off. He set his tea down and stood up. He walked ever to the fire and let the heat warm his skin. “In time, you will understand and experience far more than you could have ever imagined. I will train you and guide you. You are part of the doggo family now. You are one of us. One day, maybe, you will even become Eldest Doggo. For now, you need to rest. My attendant is preparing a room for you. One of the Master Doggo’s will show you to your new room. Let your questions stay with you till morning, I will answer them then. Go now, young Amped.”

Willow shooed Amped out of the room and on his way. Willow walked to the window and watched the snow fall. “Close the doors, please.” He said to the empty room. The large double doors shut behind him. “It’s been a long time, old friend.”

A voice spoke from within the room, “You went to see him again. Don’t bother, I already know. They told me.”

Eldest Willow turned to see the figure speaking, “I thought you retired, DerEchte.”

DerEchte stepped out from shadows, “And I thought you were done with this doggo business. Seems we’re both keeping secrets still, after all these years. Why bring on this new pup? What do you plan to do, Eldest Doggo?”

Willow looked the gangster dead in the eyes, “I plan on training him to replace me. I’m leaving, DerEchte. I have people far in the east, they have given me a place. I’m can’t be a doggo any longer.”

“I saw the doubt in your eyes, all those years ago. You were still only an Attendant, but I knew that little adventure of ours wasn't something you needed to be apart of. It opened your eyes, perhaps a little too wide.” He paused, letting the conversation drift away in the silence. “When do you leave?”

“When his training is complete. I’ve already made the plans.”

“You won’t tell him, will you?”

Willow walked over to the mantle again, he picked up a jar of peas, and looked it over asif it was the first time he had seen it. “When the time is right, I will. Let him make his own decision. He will have to if he is to be the Eldest Doggo. He needs to know the truth, DerEchte. His life will surely depend on it when the time comes. Maybe even the entire world.” He set the jar back on the mantle. “It was nice to see you again, DerEchte.”

“Feeling is mutual.” DerEchte nodded to Willow.

Willow look to DerEchte, “May I impose one last favor on you? Could you have your people watch over him for me, after I’m gone.” He looked back at the jar, “I fear they will return in time. They aren’t gone forever.”

“Of course Eldest Willow, of course.”

Two more stories remain before this adventure comes to a close. It won't be much longer now. Tune in next time when we finally find out the truth behind the vegetables in the stories and the antagonist that has haunted each story. What could it be, I wonder...

11. chaseB2

Local Time:
    It's already time for another story(I totally wasn't pressured to put it out sooner). The second to last story and finally the reveal of the antagonist lurking in the shadows!

Birds whistled and sang in the trees, dew dripping off leaves. A light fog still blanketed the surrounding land. The old man was already fast at work in his gardens. Hoes and trowels flew around him, digging up and turning over soil. He slowly harvested this weeks batch of vegetables. His hand waved gently over them, sprinkling tiny bits of dust onto them. The plants lifted themselves out of the basket and danced their way back into the cabin. He smiled slightly as his work was done. Gingerly, he stood and walked back to his cabin. He stopped beside several bags of seeds, sprinkling more dust on them and letting them fly off to the gardens to plant themselves. Later that afternoon, he would take several baskets of vegetables into village to give to the townsfolk.

The kitchen hummed with the sounds of tools and dishes flying about. He pulled off his leather gloves and set them gently on the table in the den. He made his way to the back room and shut the door behind him. Candles flickered, dancing about the walls. He began his work, preparing a new batch of powder. Beautiful streams of iridescent blue streamed from his fingertips and into the first pile of powder. It glowed brightly before dimming down again. He continued with the next four sets of powders, each one receiving a different colored stream of light. Once done, he slowly began to pour the five piles into a burlap sack, gently shaking it to mix the colors together. Once the powder was all in the bag, he finely shook it till he could sense the powder was mixed correctly. He whispered softly to the burlap sack, “Let this dust provide life to those it touches, and let it prosper. Return it to what it once was, let it live once more.” The powder glowed brightly through the sack. Slowly the colors faded once more. Another batch was finished and ready for the next week. He set the sack down and left the room.

The days grew long and the whether hot, but still his plants prospered. One day, a middle aged women stopped him as he was walking down the village street. Her face was oddly familiar yet unknown to him. Her black satin corset and gloves, showed her clearly wealthy heritage, “My my, what a dreadful sight.” She cooed. “What ghastly creature let you roam these streets freely?”

The old man slowly removed his large hat, “My dear, I do apologize if my appearance has disturbed you. I hope I haven’t caused you too much concern.” He bowed slightly. “May I ask your name, and where you are from?”

She looked at him with deep blue eyes, “You may, but you shall not receive an answer.” She slowly removed her glove, as blue streams of light coursed through the skin on her hand. She reached out to touch the frail man. “You must be very tired. It’s time that you rested.” She gently touched his arm.

He looked her dead in the eyes as his own became very distant, “We are the givers. We are the takers. We have remained for thousands of years and will so for thousands more. In the shadows of the night, we prey. We are the watchers of this mortal realm, now and forever. Till time’s end.”

The woman fiercely pulled back her hand, aghast, “Impossible! Simply impossible! There were none left, surely. Are you truly the last of them?”

His blue eyes returned to normal, “My dear, I am not who you believe me to be. I cast aside those ways many years ago now. I provide for these people, I keep them safe. I am no longer a taker, only a giver. It is my life I give, to see these people through. You are truly the last of us all.” His face grew sad, “So many taken now. I vowed never to take another. I beg of you, do the same. There is no one left now. All that remains of our people is our legacy. Who we were will be forgotten to time, but who were choose to be now, will be remembered forever. My legacy will be as a giver, not a taker. What will you be, my dear?” He let the words hang in the air as he set his hat back on his head and walked away.

The blue light faded from her hand as she slipped her glove back on. She looked at her hand. How many had she taken. She looked up at the man. How many have you taken, to give everything now. You vowed never to take again. You let everything we were crumble into dust. Is it pride, or is it regret. I sense the guilt in your heart. How many did you take? She left the village and its people in peace, she never returned.

He sat in his chair, rocking slowly back and forth. The days had grown shorter and the trees barren. “There isn’t much time left for me now. I know my time is coming. It has been, comforting, to have you in my company for these last few months.” His face was worn and tired. The magic was dieing from his eyes. “I have one last gift to give.” He reached out his hand to the empty room and let the light drain out of him. It filled the cabin and the surrounding gardens. As the remaining light drained from his fingertips, he slumped down in his chair. “I give you all life. Take care of this world. Show them the peace and tenderness that I have.” The vegetables in the garden, the tools outside and in the kitchen, the cloths on the rack, gathered around him. He let out a soft smile, “I have given you freedom, life, a soul. Carry on my legacy. There is no one left…” His eyes slowly shut. His coat covered him as the garden tools began to dig a hole for him in the middle of the largest garden.

He was laid into the ground and covered up. Onions begin being chopped in the kitchen for the townsfolk. Gifted a soul only to be dealt the loss of its giver, the vegetables and tools went back about their business.

In time, the tools rusted and were laid to rest. Vegetables slowly stopped being delivered to the townsfolk. They began to learn, adapt, evolve. Older generations would rot away and fertilize the garden with their experiences and knowledge. As the weeks continued on, they became more and more self aware, they grew beyond their limitations. They became almost, humanoid. They learned to resent the village, the people who lived there. Soon they had forgotten the old ways. They had forgotten the legacy the old man had left.

Several decades had gone by since the old man’s passing. The night was finally at hand. The vegetables ventured into town in the dead of the night. Silently, they would go house to house. By dawn, the town had been silenced. They had become takers and there was a whole world waiting for them. It was only a matter of time now before the world knew of them and what they were. For them, this was only just the beginning...

And there you have it. The true enemy behind all of the stories! How will our heroic doggo's save the day and rid the world of this monstrosity? We'll find out in the next and final story!

12. chaseB2

Local Time:
    Whew, it's been a while since I've posted anything, sadly it may be a little while longer before I can get the conclusion posted. With school back in session, my work load has tripled, meaning less time for writing :(. I'm hoping sometime in the next few weeks to have it posted if not sooner if I've got the time:D. Sorry again for the long wait, hopefully the suspense hasn't been too hard.:p

_Pandoro and BanananaBread like this.
  13. brandonlk

Local Time:
    Reminds me to start on my stories :p

Punane and chaseB2 like this.
  14. chaseB2

Local Time:
    Finally after quite some time, the final part to the story has arrived. Apologies in advance for the length. :p

Rain pelted the window outside. He stood with his back to the wall, watching. Lightning occasionally flashed, illuminating the room. “Do you know why I’ve called you here?” The eldest doggo let the question hang in the thick air. He turned to look at the figure that had just entered the room. “Do you know what you have done. Thirty years we have worked on this project. Thirty years! What gives you the right!” He slammed his fist onto the desk beside him. “You’ve undermined everything we’ve worked to accomplish. You fed information to the enemy. You call yourself a doggo, and then you betray everything we stand for. Our principles and the very foundation of what we stand for! What do you have to say in your defense?”

The young doggo whimpered, “I-I’m s-sorry eldest G-g-gamin. There was no other way… We don’t have a c-chance against them…”

Eldest Amped Gamin dropped his head, “You’ve let me down young one, you are hereby banished from this organization. You have been stripped of merit and no longer hold title in this family. You are a disgrace to who we are. The world will remember your actions today. Now take what belongings you have and leave this manor and for your own good, never return again.” He pointed to the door, “Now go.” Amped looked out the window once more as the doggo left the room. “What will become of him, of this family, I wonder.”

Fifteen years later…

“My dear friends, the doggo council. The progress on the weapon is moving along ahead of schedule. However, reports have begun to come in of forces converging in the outer edges of the province. I fear it won’t be long before they are at our doorstep. I believe we need to start taking proper precautions now. We need to setup shelters for when the weapon is released. I want the citizens to be prepared for the inevitable. We’re only four years away from expected completion of the weapon. The vegetables have that long to break through and I know I don’t have to tell you this, but it’s become increasingly clear that that won’t be a problem for them to achieve.”

A council member spoke up, “The rest of the world is already bracing for it. I’ve ensured my province is prepared for the weapon’s delivery.”

The council head looked about the other members, “I recommend you all do the same, we will be preparing both counter measures and protection for the citizens. Mr. Gamin, do you have anything else for us?”

Eldest Gamin looked at the council, “At this time, no. However, due to circumstances, I suggest we discontinue further meetings until after the weapon is released. I will release details upon its completion in an effort to ease public worry. It won’t be much longer gentledog’s before it’s over and we are free of the vegetable menace.”

“Then it’s settled, we will meet back here in just over four years time, post weapon.” The council stood and adjourned. The council head pulled Amped to the side, “I have heard rumors that the weapon isn’t safe, that it could do more harm than good.”

Amped sighed, “ The rumors are true to an extent. There is a risk of failure but the odds are incredibly low. We’ve taken every precaution to ensure there is no chance it could fail. However, if it did, you understand, there will be nothing left but perhaps a few sparse area’s. If you ask me, it’s a risk I’m well willing to take.”

“I just don’t want to take a risk if there is one at all. I’d like to find an alternative, keep this as an option for the worst case scenario.”

“You know as well as I and the rest of the council do, there is no alternative. This is it, and frankly, if you can’t bring yourself to do it, I will.” Amped said with a certain confidence in his voice. “They won’t stop no matter what we do, especially with the information they have now. This is our only option, and I plan to see it through. We’re going to save these people and this world from a mistake made centuries prior. Good day.” Amped turned and walked out of the room, leaving the council head behind.

Four years later….

“Eldest Gamin, the weapon is ready.”

Amped looked over papers on his desk, “1959… All these years later, and now in the spring of 1959, here we are at last.” He looked up from his papers, “We will release the weapon in three days time. I’ll make a statement to the people.”

Amped stood in front of a large podium looking out across a sea of reporters and journalists. “As you know, the vegetable menace that has been plaguing us for many years has wreaked havoc on our cities and provinces. I am pleased to however, announce that in a few short days the war will be over.” Cheers erupted from the crowd. “We have completed a weapon powerful enough to remove any trace of the menace. In just a few weeks time you will be free to leave your safe houses and return to your homes. Soon life will be as it was before, perhaps even better than before. I know it has been a long few months but the wait is finally over.” He paused, opening the floor to questions.

“Eldest Amped, sir, what is this weapon designed to do?” A reporter asked curiously, pointing a small recording device at the podium.

Amped thought for a moment before responding, “That is a very good question. The weapon is designed to essentially atomize any living vegetable in the world with a single stroke. It is both swift and effective.”

“But, what are the risks to other living things, surely we can’t all be safe. Not a hundred percent at least.”

“In all things, there is a level of risk. Rest assured, the risk of complete and total annihilation of all living things is astronomically low. We’ve run countless tests to confirm there is no realistic risk to organic and living things other than the vegetables that have mutated. There is no need to fear. Now, I’ll take a few more questions before I have to leave to finish finally preparations of the weapon.”

Another reporter stood up, “How long have you known of this threat to our safety, in regards to the vegetables?”

The doggo’s old and ragged face looked blankly out at the crowd for a minute, “We’ve known for far longer than we’d care to admit. We made a lot of mistakes in not being more transparent. I will be frank, there was corruption in the ranks of the doggo family some centuries ago. It clouded our views and made us forget who we were and what we stood for. Given the circumstances we face today, I want to make it clear, the lies and deceit and betrayals that have blotted this family end here, with this weapon. It is not who we are, nor who we should be and I am deeply sorry for the actions of my predecessors. I will take one more question before turning it over to the council.”

“When do you plan to release the weapon?”

“In three days time, April 30th at exactly eight o’clock in the morning. It may take time for the weapon to reach the rest of the world, but within hours, the vegetables will be eradicated. We’d like for everyone to remain in the safe houses until an all clear is issued. That is all, good day.” The doggo stepped away from the podium and left the room.

April 30th, 7:18AM

“Forty-two minutes to launch and I’m still unease. What if we messed something up?” The Eldest Doggo watched out the window at the launch site with the weapon sitting on the platform. “I can’t help be fear the worst. Even if all the world’s confidence is in me, I still can’t shut away the doubt I have. Perhaps it’s my age, perhaps my wisdom is finally showing through. I don’t know…” He trailed off looking to the paintings of the past Eldest Doggo’s, “To think, it will finally be over, in forty minutes. Hard to believe.”

April 30th, 7:53AM

“Weapon is still solid, ready for launch. All personnel began evacuating launch site.”

April 30th, 7:59AM

“Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one. Weapon launch….”

April 30th, 8:14AM

“There are reports coming in of vegetables vaporizing all over the provinces.”

April 30th, 8:34AM

“Sir, we’ve had reports of people vanishing…”

“Another report just in, someone just disappeared right in front of several citizens”

“Ten more just vanished”

April 30th, 9:00AM

“Fire the EMP! We don’t have a choice, we may be able to stop it before it’s too late!”

April 30th, 12PM

Amped looked out over the city, “Where did it go wrong, how many tests, how much planning, all to fail so horribly. How many of them will never know. It’s over, it’s all over.”

May 1st, 10:27AM…..The day after.

“How many…” The doggo asked quietly.

“The vegetable casualties are estimated at-”

“No!!” Amped shouted, “How many are left!” His voice grew soft, “How many of us are there left…”

The attendant paused, as the question soaked in, “S-sir?”

“Tell me, how many of us are still alive…”

“Eldest doggo, sir… Only one province worth remains as of the last report at the top of the hour. I-I’m sorry sir.”

A tear fell onto the desk below Amped, staining the papers.”How many will remain in the end?”

The attendant rifled through the papers in his hands, “According to our predictions, total destruction of the vegetables.” A lump formed in his throat as he looked at the rest of the statistics, “N-ninety five percent destruction of fauna and flora. Uhh,” He paused, unable to get out the last statistic.”

“How many of us will be left? I need to know now!” Amped slammed his fisted into the desk.

“Nine-ninety, uh nine… percent destruction…. I’m so sorry sir…”

The doggo stood without a word and sighed heavily. “Your services are no longer required. You are free to go.”

The attendant set the papers on the desk, “Goodbye Mr Gamin…” He turned and left the room.

Amped walked to the window, placing his wrinkling hand against the glass, “How long did it take them to realize. What is happening out there. Was this how it should have been all along. Was this Willow’s plan, or maybe I was just a fool to think I could change anything. I am the last of the doggo’s.” He looked over to the paintings hung on the wall, “I was not a good boy after all….” He shut his eyes and waited the toxin to take hold….

May 2nd, 11:42AM

“The Eldest doggo has past. The great doggo line has come to an end. An era that has spanned many hundreds of years is no more. There are only a few doggo’s remaining. We are the last of a great legacy, let us remember that and remember who we were with what little time we have left.” A handful of doggo’s sparsely populated the room. “To absent friends” The doggo’s raised their glasses, “To absent friends”

May 5th…..

What have we learned from this, young one. Where were the mistakes made? What were the consequences of those actions? In the end, the decisions the doggos made, did they really save them, or did they just drive them to the inevitable. There were many lessons to be learned, they chose to ignore them and it cost them harshly.

But no, it was not just the doggo’s the Giver was the first. Long before the doggos he made a fatal decision, perhaps before that even. Take note young one, we learn from these people, who they were, what they did. It teaches us. Learn well for perhaps one day you too will be in their shoes. Walking along the same streets they once did, the same buildings and halls. A fascinating rise and fall. One that could have been prevented at so many times. That, young one, is why we are here.

What did you see? What did you learn?

Who are these mysterious people at the end? We'll find out in time, I'm sure. Another new series is in the works as we speak. I'm also working on compiling all of these stories into one. When I've got it finished, I'll make another post for it! :DIt's been a blast writing this series of stories and I look forward to the next one! :woot:

BanananaBread and Punane like this.
  15. brandonlk

Local Time:
    This is the last of my stories for now, i need to get on writing :p Interesting fact, this helped me pass my english gcse's :D as allways Generic copyright stuff about how if any charicter is in relation to any persons living or dead its not on purpose . Also sorry for bad grammer/punctuation as allways
    I walked into the bar that I go to on a weekly occurrence, I sat down on one of the old leather
    barstools and ordered a drink, I peered over my shoulder and in his usual spot was an old man who
    looked like he had seen it all, everyone thought that when they saw him sitting in his usual spot in
    the dim bar. But as you look closer you realise everything is not quite how you think it to be. On the
    surface everyone thought the old man was just that, an old grumpy man who had lived for a while
    maybe fought in a war or two. Even his facial features said this about him, His skin was wrinkled
    from years of living. His beard was unkempt and grey, yet still cut. His nose was pointed in such a
    way that where ever he looked it was pointing directly at you. Even his clothes appeared to be as old
    as him, with holes and patches all over the place, his jacket looked like it had been poked at and torn
    a multitude of times, everywhere you looked there was either a hole or a seam that has had to be
    re-sown. However, his eyes looked like they had seen everything before that nothing could surprise
    him because he had seen it all once before. The old man did not need glasses to see yet he carried
    around a glasses case in one of the jacket pockets, no one knew why. Perhaps it was a memento, or
    the case held something else inside, either way the old man never opened the case, so no one knew
    what was inside. After finishing my drink I ordered another, before the drink came I peered over at
    the old man, he was also drinking. His old oaken staff resting against the back of the wall. The old
    man had something in his hand that I could not quite see because of the light, but from what I could
    barely make out it looked like some kind of grain “Interesting I thought to myself, why would he be
    holding some sort of grain” Before I could make out what he was holding the bars front door swung
    open and a pitch black raven flew in and landed on the old man’s staff. The bartender got up and
    was about to shoo the bird away when the old man spoke “The bird is with me, it is all fine” He
    smiled with a mischievous glint in his eyes, the blackened raven looked around, but only where the
    old man was also looking. The raven peered back at the old man when he raised his hand, the raven
    bent down and started eating the seeds in his hand. Around one of the crow’s ankles was a small
    piece of paper, the old man took it and pet the raven a bit. After a few minutes the crow took flight
    with a loud CAW and exited though the entrance it had come through. Everyone thought it was
    weird that a crow came in to see the old man, was it his? Once again no one knew, since no one
    speaks to the old man except when he is ordering a drink. Hours passed and I was the last person in
    the bar along with the old man, I was tired so I decided to exit the bar. Before I could exit the old
    man tugged at my jacket, I looked over his face bathed in shadow of the night. He handed me a black
    feather and from what I could see, he winked and is spoke softly “Take this, you might need this one
    day” Before I could think about what he meant he was gone, “how did he manage that?” I thought
    to myself. I got home and rested the feather upon my mantelpiece “I wonder what he meant” I
    asked in my head, and just before I could get to sleep, the feather glowed and the raven from before
    stood there along with a bag of what looked like it was filled with seeds. I got up, there was a note in
    the beak of the raven, I picked up the note to read it “If you are reading this note, then it means that
    I have given a feather away and that I have finally passed onto the aether, the raven is yours to help
    you with the task at hand” I paused there was only one line left cold sweat formed on my brow, the
    room got colder as I prepared to read the last sentence aloud “You are now the last guardian of this
    realm, protect it from the evil that lingers here.”

16. brandonlk

Local Time:
    A story i finished writing up today. not sure if this will create a merged post or not (i hope not) and i hope it pings you so you can read it :D
    “So, how was it? How was it before it all went wrong?” My companion questioned. So I explained.

“Childhood as you call it was much the same as yours. But we were born of egg like many of the birds on this planet, I was told I have been told I was born in a clutch of one. Very odd for our species as we tend to be born in clutches of around 4. Early life was simple, we were fed, we were taught many a thing by our elders about the world around us. When we were older, but still young enough to have a strong imagination and before our wings had fully developed, we were taken to a place formally known as the “Link”.”

“The link you say?” My friend asked.

“yes, it was raw untampered warp. This is what the portals would eventually be constructed around. But back then to travel the “Link” You needed a strong magic to protect you from being ripped apart by the temporal tides. Only elders and masters of the arcane could traverse without serious harm. Of course, you could just fly of the island to where you needed to get to. But the link was designed for traveling extreme distances, even across realms. We were taken to see the main link portal in groups of 3 accompanied by an elder of course to make sure we did not do anything mad. Our job was to stare into the endless void, this rite of passage was designed to prepare our minds for magic, and to show us that there was much more to explore than our collection of islands and trees.”

My friend perked up “Islands you say?”

“yes, not just ones on the ground, but ones held aloft in the sky by forces of nature, you could only get there if you had fully developed wings of course. Not that it deterred some of the younglings from trying. There was only one sky island you could get to without needing wings, even then it was low island where we went to learn.”

My friend waved his hand “Back to where you were at the portal, carry on the story”

I spoke “well, if you want more story then don’t interrupt me.” I said with a smile on my face

“Where was I oh yes, the three of us stared into the endless abyss our beady eyes wide with excitement, fixated in place as we gazed into the schism that was a swirling pool of flux and temporal tides. The more we stared, the more the void stared back into us, as if judging us, deeming if we were worthy to someday enter and explore it for ourselves. As we gazed, the ground shook and the elder perked up but before he could act a strong gust of wind knocked us onto the floor. The ground started to shake more and more the more it shook, the stronger the wind grew. We all scrambled to grab onto something our young feathers being battered by the wind. The elder tried to cast a spell to stop the wind. But the wind, as if on purpose to target him, caught his wings and he was thrown out of our room. We were now alone, scared and hanging onto a pillar for our life. The sound of the beating wind was unbearable, but we held fast against the ferocious winds. Until the wind caught my under formed feathers, lifting me off the ground. Before my compatriots could grab me, I was dragged into the link. The last thing I saw before I succumbed to the pain was the pained look on my friends’ eyes as I was sucked into the void. I was not meant to be in there, I could feel my under formed feathers burning up from the flux. I remember little of what happened next. I have been told that I feel unto this world like a golden meteor with down feathers trailing behind.

When I finally landed I could not remember any of the events that had past. I looked down at my body expecting a charred mess of feathers, but instead of my usual avian form I had apparently managed to take form of a human, I don’t know how, perhaps it was a spell from an elder before I fell in. I did not know. Eventually I was adopted by a family, I slowly forgot about my old life. Memories replaced with new memories with my new family. My old memories I put down to being a dream, and just a figment of my imagination.”

To be continued in the next part: [14] Feathered Family

chaseB2 likes this.
  17. chaseB2

Local Time:
    Hey, great to see another story! :D I'm hoping to have a new one soon, works kept me tied down pretty hard these last several weeks. I'm hoping to get back on track once things settle back down. Great work as always, too. I look forward to seeing more :p

18. brandonlk

Local Time:
    I am already thinking of the next part :D
    Don't worry about it, if you have things to do, do those. We can all wait for wonderful stories :D

19. brandonlk

Local Time:
    not had a notification ping from this thread for awhile, is everyone ok?

chaseB2 likes this.
  20. chaseB2

Local Time:
    I've been crazy busy with life. Haven't had any inspiration. But, the lovely @Punane has inspired me to right a Halloween story! I'm excited to be sharing it in around four hours once I have it finished and get back home to post it! :D
    [doublepost=1540932939,1540919689][/doublepost]At long last after an extensive absence of stories, I return with another wonderful tale of our doggo's! I very much hope to get back into the spirit of writing again and share more fantastic stories with you lot and read more of your own stories! So let's get to it shall we?:p:D

Thunder clapped outside the large windows, shaking them violently. A fire crackled in the mantle as the doggo’s sat around it. Elder Kay stared into the flames, while young Willow gazed at him mysteriously. DerEchte sipped his tea loudly, making willow yip and jump in his chair. “Haha, you should have seen your face,” The friendly gangster chuckled at the young Attendant. “Ahh, that was great.” He laughed some more as Willow glared at him.

Elder Kay broke his silence, turning to the two. “Now now, let’s not get into a fight. DerEchte, why don’t you tell us one of those stories of yours. It’s a perfect evening for it.” Rain pelted the window as the wind threw it against the glass. Kay stood, walking over to the fire, kindling it with a rod. He tossed another log onto the fire to keep it going.

DerEchte sat back in his chair, sipping his tea quietly. “Hmm, a story eh? I’m sure I could whip up one. After all, the young pup is already on the edge of his seat in suspense.”

Willow growled at DerEchte. “Maybe you shouldn’t have broken my concentration!”

“Settle down you two,” Elder Kay eased back into his chair. He sipped his own tea, “Now, carry on DerEchte.”

“Gladly,” DerEchte set down his tea and cleared his throat. “Let’s see… Oh yes, a perfect one for the young pup.”

“Hey! I’m only a few years younger than you!”

“Simmer down… Continue DerEchte, and please, no more comments to the young attendant.”

DerEchte crossed his legs, and put on his best narrator voice. “It was some years ago, when I was only a wee pup. It was one of my first outings. We went to a small village, some ways from here. It had been abandoned long ago after a string of unsolved crimes, each of them growing increasingly violent. It started with petty theft, and grew to cold blooded murder. The townsfolk, fearing the worst, fled the village. To this day, no one has been able to discover who was responsible and the mysteries remain unsolved.” Lightning flashed and pounded the windows. Scaring the young willow pup.

“So, why did you go there knowing that?”

DerEchte paused for a moment, “We’re gangsters after all. We needed to get some, materials, for trading. What better places to go than abandoned villages. Regardless, the older family members felt it a good idea to give me a bit of an initiation of sorts by sending me with the others on this particular trip. We set out early that morning…”

“Come along Der Echte, we’ve not got all day now.” The pack leader ushered a very young DerEchte, only but a pup, with the rest of the group. “We’re coming into the village now, everyone knows the plan. We’ll split up into groups of two, DerEchte is with me. We’ll head down the center of town. The rest of you head east and west. We’ll meet in the square at dawn.”

The group split up, DerEchte and the leader continued down a cobblestone street. Night fell quickly on the empty town. A chilling breeze began to blow through the street. Shop signs creaked back and forth sending chills down DerEchte’s spine. “Are you sure it’s safe here?” He looked to the leader questioningly.

The leader patted him on the head, “Not to worry young one, the ghosts of this village have long since vanished. Besides they’re only legends and fantasy ta-” He was cut off by the sound of a window crashing down the lane. Glass shattered onto the ground just ahead of them. “Get behind me young one,” The leader pushed DerEchte behind him, making sure to keep him close. They inched forward carefully, “Who’s there? We staked claim to this village, you’d best get out of here before we have a problem!” He waited for a response. A chair flew out the opening where the window was. It splintered on the cobble street. “Alright, that’s it!”

The leader slammed the door open, breaking it off its hinges. Not a soul was inside. The tavern was completely abandoned and silent. They snuck around, the leader keeping DerEchte close to him, making sure he didn’t get out of his reach. The two made their way through the dark room, suddenly candles on the walls blazed to life around them. The room lit up for a brief second, showing a figure standing in the center. The candles flashed out, only the moon’s light shown in the tavern. The figure stared at them with deep glowing green eyes. Catto eyes. The two scurried out of the building as quickly as possible, looking back to see the eyes vanishing.

They ran down the street as far as they could before running out of breath. They rested a minute, looking back. No trace of the catto. Then slowly, they looked around. The windows in the buildings around them, the alley ways. They were surrounded by catto’s watching in the dark. Ready to pounce at a moments notice…

DerEchte rose from his seat. He strode over to the burning fire, tossing another log in it and stoking it quietly.

In a fit of frustration and curiosity, young willow blurted out, “What happened!? What happened to the catto’s? How did you get out? What happened to the village?”

The friendly gangster chuckled to himself, “Not to worry little pup, I’m getting to it.” He sat back down in his chair, eying the fire. “Now, where was I? Oh yes. We were surrounded in the middle of the street….”

The catto’s sat in silence watching the doggo’s. DerEchte tugged on the leaders coat, “Sir, what are we going to do?”

He looked down to the young pup, “Not to worry little one, we’ll find a way. Let’s just walk away slowly, don’t make eye contact with them, just keep your head down.” The two began walking away from the catto’s, quietly. They worked their way towards the central plaza where the square was.

Glass crunched under the foot of the leader, startling the young DerEchte. “What was that!?”

The leader laughed quietly, “Not to worry, it was just a bottle.” He lifted his boot, looking down at the shattered glass. “Come now, let’s keep moving. We need to find the others, we aren’t going home with anything this time”

They could sense the presence of the catto’s all around them. Stalking them silently, a few times the leader swore he felt one breathing on the back of his neck only to turn to find nothing but empty street. He shook off the thoughts that came to mind, keeping the pup close to his side. Suddenly three large black catto’s darted across the street in front of them. The leader held tighter to DerEchte, as they passed over the path of the cattos. “They say if you walk across the path of a black catto, you don’t see the light of day again.”

DerEchte shuddered, frantically watching around him for cattos. None were found. They listened to the sound of howling cattos echoing through the night air. It chilled their bones. They soon reached the village square, no sign of the other group members. A small campfire burned in the plaza. They slowly walked to it. The markings indicated it was from their family. At least one of the pair’s made it here before them...but where had they gone. The sound of growling cattos rose in the air. The two looked about themselves as catto eyes began to appear in the darkness all around them, ten, twenty, thirty pairs of eyes. The number kept increasing. They inched closer to the doggos.

One of the cattos spoke in their native tongue. The two doggo’s huddled close awaiting the inevitable. The catto spoke again in a raspy voice, but in the doggo’s language. “What brings you to our home filthy doggos. This land has belonged to the catto clan for generations. How dare you enter it!” He hissed at the doggo’s walking into the moonlight with his hair on end. His eyes were like black holes, staring into the doggo’s souls.

DerEchte came around from behind his leader and looked up at the catto. “We are were looking to acquire items of value for trade back in our home land. We do not mean you harm, we have peaceful intentions we only wa-”

“Silence small pupper! You do not dare speak to me! You doggo’s are not worthy to barter with such individuals as those of the catto clan! Ha! You amuse us with your presence. Nonetheless, we will permit you to leave.” He paused, his claws extending dangerously. “But, if you are not gone by morning, you will never leave…” He retracted his claws, backing away into the darkness once more. The eye’s disappeared and the doggos were alone again.

“Sir? What do we do now?”

“We leave young one.”

“But, what of the others?”

“You don’t understand the catto kind young one. Come let us go before it’s too late.” The two left the plaza behind, the fire burning quietly in the night. “The catto clan is one of shadows and deceit, they mean to only cause mischief. Catto’s are dangerous creatures, don’t trust them young one.”

Dawn was quickly approaching as they neared the edge of the town. The catto’s howled. The two doggos turned to see a flood of cattos coming for them. The doggos ran for their lives out of the village, far far away. Never to return again…

Willow had fallen fast asleep in his chair. Elder Kay finished his tea. “So, how much of that story was true?”

DerEchte looked at the dying fire. “Do you ever wonder why we don’t go to the outlying villages? Do you ever wonder why we never see any catto’s?”

He let the questions hang in the air for a few minutes. Kay set down his empty cup. “And the villagers? What of them?”

“The black catto’s made sure the villagers never returned. That is how the ‘rumor’ of crossing a black catto’s path began. It’s no rumor, Kay. I witnessed it myself.” He pulled down his shirt, revealing a scar across his chest. “This was a warning for crossing their path. A reminder for entering their territory and to never do it again.” He paused, letting it sink in, watching Elder Kay thinking. “Haha! I had you going for a minute didn’t I? I figured the pup would enjoy a good scary story. Even if it was made up. As for the scare, it was from an accident while acquiring some goods for trade. I doubt catto’s even exist. But anyway, it’s late, I had best be going.” He rose from his chair.

Kay pondered for a short while before rising from his chair, “You always do have the best tales of adventure.” He looked down at the attendant. “I had better take young willow to bed. I bid you adu. I’m sure you know the way out?”

DerEchte nodded as they both left the room. He made his way outside. The rain had since stopped, the storm passed on to leave a clear sky and the moonlight. DerEchte pulled his coat tight and his hat low. He looked out in the street, one pair of glowing eyes staring back at him. It winked once at him before disappearing into the night...