1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thaumcraft. Research helper: aspect chain maker.

Discussion in 'Tutorials, Tips and Tricks' started by madzdz, Aug 1, 2014.

1. madzdz

madzdz Member

Local Time:
    3:15 AM
    hello fellow thaumaturges. I would like to share with You application of mine that helps in finding connection between nodes at Your research table.

There already was similar app, but I felt that it was very unhandy, punishing, and to be fair, it took more time to set up and find good chain, than using my head and doing it for myself. Well, not anymore.

Handy Thaumcraft Research solving Tool - Minecraft Tools - Mapping and Modding - Minecraft Forum - Minecraft Forum

[​IMG]

Main advantages over its older web brother:
    • it finds all possible chains, giving out possibility to choose from variety of combinations
    • its a lot easier in use, no more drop down menu, with scrollable unhandy list!
    • Every aspect is represented in same way as inside research table, making it very easy to find and choose
    • Application can be set to "stay on top" so You can do Your research, with helper always visible.
    hope You enjoy this!

ps: Chinchill is my alter ego, that i use in most games, and account name on minecraft forum is just because retards doesn't let me change it :p

Update 29.11.2014: changelog:

• Added advanced search mode - now every search result can be sorted based on complexity of chain, for example if there will be chain made with tier 7 aspect and chain made from tier 1 aspects, tier 1 will be sorted first, based of tier sum. It is also possible to add weight to desired aspect, so we can avoid chains with f.e. Ordo. [​IMG]
    • Added Likes counter - just for fun, there is counter that show how much peoples left Like for me :)
    • Added graphical appearance for selected aspects.
    • Help button will contain instructions in next update.

edit: Update 27.11.2015
    Now supports thaumcraft 4.2
    Rebuilded program so it will be more update friendly == asap updates! :)
    there is now possibility to choose version.
    added notification about empty results.
    Icons now are generated automatically(main thing that keepd me away from updating it :) )

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
    SirWill likes this.
  2. knoxz

knoxz Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Is there an updated version for 1.7.10 thaumcraft? (if there are any differents)

3. madzdz

madzdz Member

Local Time:
    Well, i haven't played new versions of thaumcraft yet, so i have no idea about changes, but in near future there will be configuration option to choose version of thaumcraft :)

4. SirWill

SirWill Founder

Local Time:
    Why not implement it in the main window? Like the NEI only on the left side.

5. madzdz

madzdz Member

Local Time:
    SirWilli, You mean right into minecraft as mod? well, i considered that, but thing is that there are bilions of combination, and sometimes it takes a lot of time to list all of them - this would cause main mc thread to freeze, unless i would do it on separate thread, also i found that developing it as separate application is really more user and developing friendly, i can easly update program, while users can decide if they want it, or not.
    Anyway, i might try to do that, just to learn some thing about forge ;)

6. _Thorius_

_Thorius_ Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Nice work so far but i like this one much more:
    Thaumcraft 4.1 Research Helper

Because it has Forbidden Magic and Extra Bees aspects selectable too. It is up to version 4.1.1.14 of Thaumcraft.
    And yes, there are many changes between the aspects in the versions.
    Last but not least, it is a website and i can open it in any browser (2nd monitor or on my tablet) and i don't have to install/open another tool.

However, a client-side mod would be much cooler and if you can add some of the other features, i think it will become much more attention. :)

If you use it, make sure you selected the right version of tc or many of the aspects will not connect to each other.

7. madzdz

madzdz Member

Local Time:
    Thanks for feedback!

however i'd like to point few things:
    Keep in mind that i designed my tool to be totally different from website version because not everyone have tablet or second monitor. Another difference is that my application show all aspects in compact form, where user doesnt have to scroll any list - its just exact copy of research table gui :). Another BIG difference between both appplications is that on website, user is forced to do many combinations, tries and errors, while my application just show all possible chains to choose from :)
    And keep in mind that there is option to keep application on top, so it can be as functional as client side mod.
    Lastly, i decided to use .net instead client mod side, for variety of reasons, its not necessary to keep it loaded all the time, as it would eat additional resources, out of already overloaded minecraft. It is actually far easier to install and totally independent of modpack, so user doesn't have to interfere into mods. Another big advantage of .net is possibility of dynamic updates, which is impossible to achieve with forge mod :)

however main disadvantage of my app, is lack of multiplatform, it will work for windows users only.

as for version choose - i will add this functionality, currently it is written for our monster server, with 4.1.0g

8. paulnator2112

paulnator2112 Member

Local Time:
    hmm do you think about publishing? maybe as a opensource project? and for the thing with multi platform java. It works on all Operating System (MacOS, Linux and Windows), maybe some @Developer could look on it.

9. madzdz

madzdz Member

Local Time:
    I wanted to publish it, even posted thread on minecraftforums, but for now noone even replied, so i guess peoples aren't interested in it...

10. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    that is not how it works.

Consider your self into the situation of a player for whom it might be interesting. Would you even think about it? Would you think that there might be tools? Would you google it? Would you google further if you find one that works, maybe even without any download needed... and even if you still look further, would you be able to find your product?
    Does google even show it on the first page?
    Do other mods/authors link to it as recommendation?
    Do youtubers know about it and use it?

Unfortunately the marketing (including getting found) is still worth more than the content and quality as long as it doesn't sell it self via friend recommendations.

What is the best content worth if no one can find it?

11. BookerTheGeek

BookerTheGeek Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    8:15 PM
    Would it be possible to have an option to select which modpack your using? this way it could be used with more then vanilla thaumcraft?

Great app by the way, and I use it even thou it doesn't always get the chain correct in modpacks with forbidden magic

12. madzdz

madzdz Member

Local Time:
    ill try to update it today, so it will be possible to switch versions.

13. BookerTheGeek

Local Time:
    Thank you. If you like, I can get you a spreadsheet on google docs with all the aspect chains for each modpack that mym is hosting. Others also if you like. I already have them in various places on my computer, and you could link/copy to your program if you like.

14. madzdz

madzdz Member

Local Time:
    sure, i could make use of it

15. BookerTheGeek

Local Time:
    I'll link them to you here tomorrow.

16. The42ndDruid

The42ndDruid I sell Propane and Propane accessories Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    9:15 PM
    There is most likely a faster, more efficient way to link the nodes together other than tons of lists. That could speed up the program dramatically. I was thinking about making a program for it too, but I still have not figured out the best way to go about doing it.

17. madzdz

madzdz Member

Local Time:
    well, i made it by breadth-first search algorithm, to find shortest way to connect them, and it worked allright, however i realised that it would be better to list all possible connections - the only thing that i need to upgrade is to make current algorithm work in separate thread and print results dynamically, so user wouldnt have feeling that program just freezed

The42ndDruid likes this.
  18. BookerTheGeek

Local Time:
    @madzdz, here are the links for what I have so far.

@The42ndDruid, you will still need to list somewhere, somehow, what aspects combine into other ones, yes? Since the program is web-based, why not use a web based list to supply those chains? This way, the chains for each modpack will be correct, because each modpack has different aspect chains due to Thaumcraft addons adding or changing the aspect chains from default Thaumcraft. Also, different versions of Thaumcraft have different aspect chains. I am just making the lists to reflect what is on the MYM servers.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  19. The42ndDruid

The42ndDruid I sell Propane and Propane accessories Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    9:15 PM
    Can't you make a node class?
    string aspectName
    string child1
    string child2

20. BookerTheGeek

Local Time: