There are a lot of reasons on why to use the Launcher over any other launcher. Below is a list of reasons on why you might want to use it!
- Always stay up-to-date with your server you play on
- Partial updates (only changes files that get updated)
- Custom Modpacks
- Supply of custom fixes such as recipe changes, config options, crash fixes and more...
- Support for additional mods to enhance the game-play like TabbyChat, VoxelMods Fastcraft...
The Launcher supports Windows, Mac OS and Linux. The things you will need:
- Java 8
- Java 17 (For Minecraft versions 1.18+)
- An internet connection
- Install Java 8 if you haven't already
- Navigate to the download page
- Download the launcher for your operation system
- Place the downloaded file in a permanent location on your system
If you are on Windows, it should be as simple as running the executable file.
There is a couple more steps for running the launcher on Mac. Follow the steps to see what you might need to do.
- Make sure you have Java 7 or 8 installed (Mac only ships with Java 6 by default)
- Open your system controls and select the java control panel
- Click on the option that is called "show", "view" or similar (there shouldn't be many)
- It will show you the installed java version and the path to the location where it is stored
- Copy this path into the "JVM Path" textbox on the MyMLauncher under "Options.."
- By default installation of java the path looks like this:
- You should be able to play modpacks that require Java 8, now.
Running the launcher on Linux is a little bit of a process. It takes a couple of extra steps
See The Ubuntu Installation Page for a full guide of how to run the launcher on Linux