1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thaumcraft 'Easy Research' is horrible

Discussion in 'Archive (Suggestion and Feedback)' started by Millumi, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Millumi

Millumi Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:06 AM
    I've played on a lot of servers with thaumcraft, but this is my first time seeing something change it so the research table is no longer required for research, when I asked what was going on, I was told this was some sort of thing added in to make research easy.
    Utterly Ridiculous. While I get that this thing helps people who don't know about thaumcraft and only want early game stuff, it is absolutely PUNISHING to those who know what they are doing and are deeply into the mod. The reason? Aspects.

With normal research, you spend quite a bit of aspects to go through the mini-game of connecting the dots to get the research, but with this add-on, you have to spend a predetermined number of points on each piece of research, why this is bad is immediately obvious to anyone who knows thaumcraft: You can't choose which aspects you are spending. Here are the aspects that are in almost all the research: Instrumentum, Ordo, Praecatatio, permutatio, and tutamen to a lesser extent.
    The fatigue on research is to a very high extent when you need the same aspects over and over again, and not only does it make the mod much harder to get to the late game, it also ruins the journey to get there, what makes thaumcraft progression interesting/fun isn't only the connecting things on the minigame, but being able to take from many things you've scanned in the world, and put that into your research.When it's restricted to only the aspects to buy the research, most of the aspects end up being nearly useless.

Anyone else feel similar to me?

2. chugga_fan

chugga_fan ME 4M storage cell of knowledge, all the time

Local Time:
    Argument made before, apparently no one else except people who knew and loved thaumcraft cared

3. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    9:06 AM
    BookerTheGeek likes this.
  4. Millumi

Local Time:
    I'm not sure the poll for the implemented thaumcraft research should be trusted. I mean, the whole conversation shifts in that topic so much that the question posed by the poll separated from the discussion is completely different.

5. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    The thing is, you can't change people's minds on the internet, very hard, so there's no point

6. Millumi

Local Time:
    Really though, I just made this topic as feedback, if enough people start complaining, anything can change.

If anyone has a legit defence of the so-called 'easy' research, I'd love to hear it.

7. Rebelborn

Rebelborn Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    i have done thaumcraft so many times. it get boring to do all the repitivly reserch over and over again. its just waste of time. if u realy want to do it the hard way play in sp.

profrags likes this.
  8. julio1237878

julio1237878 Game enthusiastic

Local Time:
    1:06 AM
    I am with you after they change thaumcraft i have not touch the mod ever since but like chugga said its hard to change peoples mind

9. chaosblad3

chaosblad3 Very Well-Known Member Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    8:06 AM
    One thing we could try on modpacks like Infinity or Regrowth where we have multiple nodes is have it set to easy mode on one node and normal mode on another so that way people can choose which system they want to use to unlock research simply by switching server..

E.g. keep all node 1's set to easy mode but set all node 2's to normal mode

Obviously this doesn't help people on modpacks where we only have the one server, or the people who started playing on the infinity node 3's since they're standalone, but at least it would give some people the option to use normal mode research if they really want to.. also I'm sure that a lot of people currently on a node 2 might get annoyed at being forced to switch to node 1 to continue doing research in easy mode etc but as they say "you just can't please everyone" :/

Kinda surprised that we don't have all of the infinity evolved expert servers set to hard research mode anyway tbh ;)

10. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    That should be set to true, cuz it's infinity HARD MODE

11. Millumi

Local Time:
    But the thing is, 'easy' mode IS the hard way.
    Thaumcraft is a lot harder when you need a lot of the same aspects.
    The original intention of the approved suggestion was to make thaumcraft EASIER, if the implementation fails to do that, why keep it?

12. julio1237878

julio1237878 Game enthusiastic

Local Time:
    1:06 AM
    I could say the same to you rebel if thaumcraft was not set to easy ever since that change it made my favorite mod a nightmare and i had to abandon it never touch it again but the thing is those changes only make half of the community happy while the others who does not like it has to stay in the darkness being force to do what the other half like

13. Rebelborn

Local Time:
    i see that one. not the best ex. this is a hard thing tho. so many player and all want it ther way. i think it shuld be up to the admin/manager to decide this and not the player base.

14. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    The best decider IS the playerbase, to please the majority

15. Rebelborn

Local Time:
    in many thing it is. but whit thaumcraft the player base is split ca 50-50. i know som of the admins/manager isent playing mc. they do it for the coding and technical stuff. i belive they ar the best to dicide this

16. Millumi

Local Time:
    3 things. 1. The default is having the research on. This means it's the way the mod developer intended it to be played.
    2. I'm not sure it's as 50/50 as everyone thinks it is.
    3. The current situation is the result of the community getting what they thought they wanted, without fully thinking through the negative consequences.

17. LLitaTroll

LLitaTroll Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    As currently implemented, I vote that "easy research" is terrible. You could make it work if you balanced the different aspect research points. Arguably, you could also make it work if some basic scan items gave 1000 or so of the primal aspects. This would allow players to combine the aspects to get the research aspects needed, effectively making the mini game/research table more "easy mode", but without stranding players who are trying to progress.

18. matijase

matijase Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    The only solution to this argument is that players could change the dificulty themselwes, but that is work in progress.

19. chaosblad3

chaosblad3 Very Well-Known Member Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    Since needing more research points seem to be the main issue people have with easy mode, perhaps we could just add a custom recipe for knowledge fragments to balance things out since each give 1-2 of each primal but in a way that still fits the theme and requires a bit of work and materials, e.g.
    [​IMG]
    Code:
    mods.thaumcraft.Arcane.addShapeless("BASICARTIFACE", <Thaumcraft:ItemResource:9>*9, "aer 9, terra 9, ignis 9, aqua 9, ordo 9, perditio 9", [<Thaumcraft:ItemThaumonomicon>]);
    Just a suggestion though, I won't implement it unless enough people want it ;)
    1 like = 1 vote [​IMG]

20. PhantomRTW

PhantomRTW Retired Staff

Local Time:
    Its not hard to get research points for these things.

Scour the Deep Dark, literally thousands of nodes there. After an hour you would have all you needed.
    Capture/spawn crimson knights. They drop knowledge fragments as loot.

The argument that "easy mode" makes it "harder" just isn't true.

(Of course these options are not valid on servers without a way to spawn mobs, or without the DD, but most packs include one or the other, or both.)

BookerTheGeek likes this.