1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Divine Journey Patron Server Launch

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aidoneus, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Aidoneus

Aidoneus Director Booster

Local Time:
    9:36 AM
    As the person who setup the server, I will comment on why I did this server the way I did.

1) The Modpack - The modpack in question for this server was simply not designed to be on a multiplayer network of this size. The automation and the sheer amount of dimensions is nothing compared to Project Ozone Kappa. It is much harder. Plus, that server was a Skyblock.
    2) Patron Server Access Rank (Subscription) - Yes, we have thought about this. SirWill brought this up to Administration. We are thinking about this. No other comment at this time.
    3) Patrons - I do understand that people might get upset with this when I posted this patron server only server announcement when I wrote it. "Why is he putting a server behind a payment wall?" or "Why are they taking away a server from us?" I tried to explain this the best way I could in my original post. (I am not going to go through the whole logistical part of the monthly donations and how it pays the monthly bills. I do thank everyone who has donated to the sever to keep it going whether it be a Patron rank or Tiered donor)

When you become an Administrator on the network like I am, you have to think about this. I do read everything on this thread because I get notifications and emails on what EVERYONE says. Thank you to everyone who is or has supported the network by donating in the past, present, and future.

elemage, SirWill, Tuffnoodle and 11 others like this.
  2. XYofLight

XYofLight Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:36 AM
    This is good.

3. Minnow91

Minnow91 Retired Staff

Local Time:
    3:36 PM
    As someone that was looking forward to this pack I have to say that it does hurt with the way it will be done but I understand it to a degree I suppose lots of parts make up the topic. This pack IMO will be a big hit you have Infinity and Ozone in one pack and lets face it who here at MYM has every played twilight forest before due to it being disabled so a few key points there that will see this pack and server jump in activity if it was open to all , the lag and the possibility of having to open more nodes would cost time and cash and with the things the way they are in the financial forecast I see the need for the limit of paying for this pack.

It does suck for the rest of us but such as life, I could spend money on this and as it was pointed out it just like a subscription for any other MMO out there I find the cost to high and the benefits to low.

While the Admins and other staffers make fair points it not like you will no the hardship of the normal player due to you all having instant Patron when taking up the job. Suppose the next question will be how likely are we all to see staff presence on other servers when this new thing goes live.

ProperChilli likes this.
  4. Sicodik_luk

Sicodik_luk Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    While I do see what you mean @Minnow91, the answer to your question would be that some staff don't like the style of this pack or some don't just want to stick just one server. We do have to provide quality support to all servers (as our job description clearly states) so that we can keep the community running in the most efficient way possible as we are all volunteers. We are still going to be seen on other servers just as frequently to check up on the community, there will be no issue when it comes to finding a staff member for quality assistance. As for Staff Members having Patron or even Patron+ is the only valid way of our lovely founders Slind and SirWill are able to compensate us for sacrificing time from our day to provide support to everyone.

I personally would be playing this pack on the lovely server that our Administrator Aidoneus has provided for the Patron and Patron+ community on my free time.

5. wyndman

wyndman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:36 AM
    I raised the same issues when we were putting this server behind a patron wall. As both a staff member and a patron I was concerned about the overwhelming amount of staff joining the server that others were paying for. Being able to see it from both sides ultimately it is fair to let the staff have access. As a member of staff you know better than most minnow we spend hours of our day resolving issue for the players, the higher you move up on the org chart the more responsibility for the same salary.

Staff were originally given patron status in order to respond to issues on the servers at launch, depending on the level of staff you would receive the same permissions of access as a patron+ or patron player. With the advent of the patron server this is an extension of that idea coupled with a reward for our active staff members for their service. To the players' benefit this allows easier access to the staff members and an opportunity to play with staff members something that is not always easy to arrange.

Does this mean that you'll never see staff outside of the patron server? No, we're all still players, Divine Journey, might not be everyone's cup of tea so you might still see staff spending hours on your favorite server. In addition to that we still show up everywhere to help when needed.

While everyone might not have the same level of disposable income as others, on a daily basis it is a rather cheap entertainment option. Is it possible to have a even more cost effective subscription model? Maybe, we're discussion the options. While everyone enjoys the free service we provide here, in order to comply with the EULA constraints we had to make a change. Without some way to collect funding for our servers the service will simply cease to exist.

6. coolgi3000

coolgi3000 Logician of the gods

Local Time:
    While I do not necessarily agree with how it was executed, I understand why this decision was made, and do not resent MYM for it. It is perfectly reasonable in my opinion that patrons should receive some extra benefit for their support, more then they already do. But for the rest of us who got our hopes up and now can’t play it’s is more then a little disappointing.
    Some of us don’t have money to spend for ourselves, some people’s parents won’t let them subscribe to a monthly service, and some (me) just hate monthly subscriptions as a whole.
    I understand that if MYM made a non patron server for DJ, then the patron server would be less special, but I still wish there was some other option for joining it.
    There are of course other servers to play this pack on but MYM is where my friends are (not to mention that I wouldn’t have my donor perks on another network ;P)
    I for one would be perfectly happy paying a one time joining fee for a DJ server, however unlikely it may be that that will become an option :cool:
    Bottom line, I understand the reasoning but I sincerely hope that MYM will one day make a non patron server as well.

SGamerXxX, fredric4life and Evan317 like this.
  7. Cantiel

Cantiel Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:36 PM
    just throwing in my opinion and thoughts after reading though this thread:

i understand wyndmans reasons behind it, and i'm not blaming him for it. the admins still have a hard time to work things out for the network, thanks to the whole eula situation, and they have to test patron benefits in some way or another to increase revenue. I'm just disappointed by the fact that we were only told that the pack was coming to the network, and now suddenly hear it's patron exclusive. It would have been nice it if was made clear from the very beginning that this wouldn't be a public server, so that most of us didn't waste their time getting excited for nothing.

as a student, i don't have much money to spend every month, so 10$ is quite a lot for me, especially considering my actual playtime. i have only little and irregular spare time for videogames, so i acquire maybe 1 or 2 days of playtime per month, so i'd be paying 3-10 $ per day, opposed to wyndman's calculation

so for me personally, it's not really worth to become a patron just to have access to 1 single server, but each their own. other people live in different situations and have different priorities. (once again, i'm not complaining, just explaining my perspective on this matter).

my suggestion for the future would be to either create a patron light rank that only gives access to patron servers, but no other patron benefits; or to open a public server in a month or two that has stricter regulations, and less bonuses (ex. no sirwilly tank or chunkloaders, more banned items)

whatever you do, i hope it will be successful, so that this community can continue to exist for a long time. i'll continue to suffer through AoE, and will for the first time in years play singleplayer mode again, as i was really looking forward to this pack :)

8. Decnav

Decnav Proud member of the VRMasterRace Patron Tier 2

Local Time:
    Im not signing up on the patreon site. I would pay to play, but not bothering with pateron.

Wish we would just call it what it is, paid access server. Any chance of offering a non patreon way of buying in?

AlphaRue likes this.
  9. wyndman

Local Time:
    While this is mostly true, today there is only one patron only server it is likely this won't remain the case with our ongoing need to comply with the draconian EULA. Before we were forced to comply patron existed as early access and some other neat perks on servers, now it includes a patron only server as time moves on the patron program will grow and change.

We're not using paetron, similar idea without the middle man. It is in essence a paid access server, but as of now it exists only as part of our patron program subject to change of course. We're still working on the potential of simply providing access to the server for a smaller fee, I believe that was covered in all our future of MyM shop talk.

10. DrummerBoyNo

DrummerBoyNo Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I try loading the pack up on the twitch launcher but it closes immediate after words, i have had this issue before with other 1.7.10 packs, and by downgrading the forge version it works but with this pack it needs the most up to date version. any idea how to solve this?

11. dooley1101

dooley1101 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:36 AM
  12. Werwolfi_de

Werwolfi_de Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    the pack will be hosted on our own launcher too so you can just use that one and you will never have problems with the correct version and stuff :)

13. Cantiel

Cantiel Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    yeah, patron will most likely become more interesting/worthwhile for people over time, as it changes and expands. there are still many things that have to be changed to comply with the EULA, like tiers & kits.

Right now it's mostly my current situation that stops me, but i don't mind supporting the server once i have a better financial situation

14. wyndman

Local Time:
    In a perfect future we'll offer tiers of pricing to become more affordable for our players and have more options. While Divine Journey is the first patron exclusive it surely won't be the last. Nor are we going to discontinue our free servers. This does give us a wider opportunity to host packs that may not be suited for a larger audience such as Divine Journey, to one's that may not be as popular, but still worthwhile to the target audience. It is even within the realm of possibility to add something cutting edge like a 1.12 mod pack as a patron to work out the kinks before turning it loose to the public.

While no one here wanted to have to take money from our players, it is money that keeps these servers running. It's up to us to make this as an attractive option for those with a little extra cash to ensure all if us can continue to enjoy our community.

Opinions represented are my own and not necessarily reflective of MyM of policies. Theoretical possibilities are just theoretical. Past performance is no guarantee of future performance. Research for yourself before investing. Side effects include,but are not limited to: euphoria, happiness, elation, feelings of fulfillment. Patron status is not ment to treat or diagnose any disease. I did not sleep at any hotel chain prior to this, therefore I can nit profess to be an expert, or soothsayer. Tell your doctor about any heart,lung, kidney,spleen,liver,stomach, problems you may have as an improper diet may effect them. Eight hours of sleep and eight glasses of water a day are arbitrary numbers, each person has their own unique needs, you can discuss that with your doctor as well if you run out of other topics. There is no credible link between Autism spectrum disorder and vaccination. My favorite color is blue. I wear my MyM t-shirt to bed. Thanks for reading to the end. Mom did like Kronnn best.

15. Tadriel_Greymist

Tadriel_Greymist Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:36 AM
  16. Timmypwn

Timmypwn Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    i think its nice to give some extra's to people that support the network, good thinking on this one. its too bad mojang's rules are the same for everyone but thats just the way rules are made, punish the whole for the faults of the few. some servers/networks took pay2win to a whole new level. I think this is a nice thankyou to the patrons, it could even lead to having no banned items within limits because there is alot more control on who joins it.

All_Mighty_POWA likes this.
  17. FactionsEnd

FactionsEnd Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    will it ever be open to all or will there be a seperate public server ever??

18. wyndman

Local Time:
    There are currently no plans to release this as a public server due to the nature of the pack.

19. killwithin

killwithin Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    and thats where i leave, goodbye mym!

Decnav likes this.
  20. wyndman

Local Time:
    I understand your frustration, but the pack wasn't designed with a huge multiplayer community in mind. While we tossed the idea around for a public server, the changes we would have to make were innumerable. Rathere ruin the experience for all we've restricted it to a smaller community.

EvilScotsman and The_Icy_One like this.